Syncing GoPro at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old October 8th, 2013, 04:55 PM   #1
Tourist

Syncing GoPro

Hi,

I want to use GoPro 3 black edition for a ceremony on a balcony. Just wondering if strengths of audio signal from built-in mic would be enough to use it for further syncing in Pluraleyes or it's better to connect external mic?

What is your experience ? Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Serge
Serge Lodkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2013, 07:09 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: Syncing GoPro

Hi Serge

I plug a Sony dual head stereo mic into my Hero's and it brings the audio up nicely without any extra cables or mic mounts and does a better job than the internal mic. The signal is usually plenty to sync however I tend to sync manually anyway. They are easy to find on ebay too and only a few bucks!!

Chris
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2013, 10:09 PM   #3
Regular Crew

I have no problem syncing video from my GoPro Hero 3 black with my RX-100 and Canon G30 footage in Premiere using Pluraleyes.

This video includes footage from all three cameras. My wife was running the G30, the GoPro was locked down near the front hidden in a bush. RX-100 was on light stand and moved with me while I was shooting stills.

Chris Geiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2013, 04:35 PM   #4
Tourist

Thanks Chris and Chris. The church is not very big so I will try with no external mic this time and will see how it goes.
Serge Lodkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2013, 11:39 PM   #5
Inner Circle

It may be obvious but synching with Pluraleyes will be much easier if the GoPro is housed in a skeleton case rather than the waterproof case as the audio on the internal mic is very muffled if the camera is sealed in the waterproof case.
Nigel Barker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 10th, 2013, 02:52 AM   #6
Major Player

For future reference, these little Olympus ME-52W mics work well with the Hero 2 without having trailing wires etc:

OLYMPUS NOISE REDUCT.Microphone ME-52W: Olympus: Amazon.co.uk: Office Products

I use one with a skeleton housing rather than drilling a waterproof housing. Not sure if the connector fits the Hero 3 - you may need an adapter between the mic and the body. Don't expect pristine results - obviously - but its a lot better than the inbuilt and could be used in a "that or nothing" scenario.

Sooner or later you'll have issues syncing if you rely on the Gopro itself, depending on what it can pick up in a given scenario. Use a skeleton housing at the very least. Fortunately the movement of the speakers lips is seldom very visible in Gopro wedding footage so syncing doesn't have to be perfect :- )

Pete
Peter Riding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 10th, 2013, 06:47 AM   #7
Inner Circle

Hi Pete

That's just a mono unit so does it record to just one channel on the Hero??? I'm using the Sony version
of this model : http://www.amazon.co.uk/Olympus-1450...d_sim_office_5

It works pretty well and gives you far better audio than the internal one. Yes I use the skeleton housing too but I also drilled a few holes in the top and bottom which helps stop the housing fogging up on really humid days.

Chris
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 10th, 2013, 07:51 AM   #8
Major Player

Its mono Chris with one channel on the Gopro. You can duplicate it and put one channel on each left and right track in post obviously. Its not then stereo but nor is recording stereo using two mics one inch apart :- )

I like its built in swivel joint as well, its easy to orientate it in the exact right direction without a tangle of wires on your gopro. The mic is just a glorified lav on a stick really. That does mean it can serve as a backup for jobs such as blu-tacking it to a lectern then wired to a hidden recorder. There were a lot of fake Sonys around at the timw I bought the Olympus.

I remember reading about your mods to reduce fogging; we're unlucky to get such conditions here.

Pete
Peter Riding is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques