How do you handle run and gun with a dslr? - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old October 16th, 2013, 03:40 AM   #31
Major Player

Re: How do you handle run and gun with a dslr?

Follow up question: so far this has been discussed in relation to shooting weddings.

But what about other events such as kids parties? Do you plunge in with dSLRs and just hope for the best or when you have a choice of equipment do you prefer "real" video cams? The obvious problem is difficulty in focusing in these fast moving scenarios - although there are some relatively quiet moments such as when an entertainer is doing their stuff. On the plus side the ambient lighting is usually quite high. Parents nannies etc blocking shots can be a nightmare but that applies regardless of which are your weapons of choice.

Pete
Peter Riding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2013, 04:35 AM   #32
Inner Circle

I've kept out of this thread so far because I don't use a DSLR for my wedding video filming, but surely one of the main reasons for using a DSLR for video work is to create a cinematic feel to the video, with shallow depth of field, big sensor for low light etc. I don't really see where cinematic and run and gun go together at all, as one is carefully crafted and prepared shots to match what is seen in a film and the other is fast, unpredictable adapting to a constantly changing situation. With the best will in the world, a DSLR is always going to take longer to change settings, adjust focus and get a good balance than a dedicated video camera.

I may be unfashionable in a DSLR video world, but for my weddings/parties, I always use small handicam sized 3xcmos video cameras so that I can react instantly to any sudden changes without having to worry about getting things wrong, changing lenses etc. So many here seem to have worries when using DSLRs about capturing audio, having the right lenses, being able to focus quickly in moving scenarios, running short on recording time etc, that It seems to be a highly stressful way to go.

I can certainly see the DSLR value with cinematic highlight or shortform work, but neither need to be run and gun situations as I see it. If you are finding it difficult to get results quickly when you need them, then you are probably using the wrong tool for the job at that moment. A Ferrari is great for road holding, acceleration and image, but for driving to the shops in heavy traffic, there are more suitable vehicles.

Roger
Roger Gunkel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2013, 06:52 AM   #33
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noa Put View Post
How do the zebra's look like with the current ML? stripes or does it gives overexposed area's a color?
You can choose between stripe and color zebras, and the histogram has three coloured circles that appear when each particular color channel is being blown out. Between all that and the waveform, exposure is no longer a guessing game.
Brian David Melnyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2013, 06:57 AM   #34
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Gunkel View Post
If you are finding it difficult to get results quickly when you need them, then you are probably using the wrong tool for the job at that moment.
Or you need more practice with your tool... :>}
Brian David Melnyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2013, 12:55 PM   #35
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Gunkel View Post
With the best will in the world, a DSLR is always going to take longer to change settings, adjust focus and get a good balance than a dedicated video camera.
I don't disagree that small chip camcorders have their place, as they clearly do, but a lot of what you describe just comes from practice and knowing your tools. Yes, it will still take longer, but not by enough to not capture a moment. (I'm sure there are extreme examples that will be given that discredit this).
Daniel Latimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2013, 11:02 PM   #36
Regular Crew

5D Mark II with Magic Lantern for focus assist with the proper lens mounted on a Manfrotto BHDV-561 usually does the trick for me.
Old October 25th, 2013, 06:43 AM   #37
Trustee

I really don't have a hard time run and gunning with our DSLR's, but I practiced my rack focus a lot by filming my kids running around, playing, in the house. That made it low light, too.

If you have trouble, buy a jar opener and put it on your len's focus ring. You'll have that end sticking out, which is both easy to hold to make micro adjustments with, but also, easier to predetermine spot focuses. So even though action hasn't happened yet, I can check my approximate focal spots, and see that the focus ring needs to move from 12 O'clock to 4 O'Clock to cover the range of a room.

And, the jar opener is so cheap, I can have one on each lens I might use instead of worrying about changing my focus assist.

Jar opener on Amazon: Amazon.com: Trudeau Silicone Twist Jar Opener (Random Colors): Kitchen & Dining
Robert Benda is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques