Focus with DSLRs at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old October 24th, 2013, 02:11 PM   #1
Major Player

Focus with DSLRs

Setting focus with DSLRs while shooting with a narrow to medium Depth of Field can be a little tricky, but the real challenge is keeping focus when the subject moves. Shooting the processional and many other times during the wedding day, it can be tough to keep things in focus.

I know many shooters use a loupe, but because I wear glasses I have resisted buying a loupe. I recently bought an LCD magnifier and absolutely love it. The unit is designed so you can use both eyes and you don't have to bury your face in the unit. Although, when shooting outdoors, I did find myself placing both eyes up to the screen.

It comes with a hood, which is removable. I prefer to shoot without the hood unless I'm shooting in bright outdoor light. http://lacolorpros.com/blog/images/c...8-compare1.jpg

I also love the way it mounts to the screen. The mounting frame attaches to the viewfinder and the mounting plate surrounds the LCD screen. It's hard to describe but you can see pictures here.
New Product - CN-278 Dual Eye Doppel-DisplayLupe LCD Magnifier for DSLR | L.A. Color Pros Blog

This magnifier is amazing and makes getting focus so much easier. The only place I know that sells the magnifier is LA Color. I like buying from LA Color because he is one of us. Taky is a great guy and always gives great customer service.

I bought one magnifier to try it out. After using it for one wedding I ordered a second one. When it did not arrive after a few days I contacted Taky. The tracking number was not in the USPS system so he sent me another unit and it arrived the next day, at no additional expense to me for the next day shipping. That's what I call customer service!
Old October 24th, 2013, 03:01 PM   #2
Trustee

Re: Focus with DSLRs

Hi Mark, thanks for mentioning this. How do you find it compares with the Zacuto Z-finder?
Adrian Tan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2013, 03:17 PM   #3
Major Player

Hi Adrian,

I have not used the Zacuto. From what I have seen, you have to get very close to the Z-finder, and I prefer to see what is going on outside of the frame as well. With the magnifier from LA Color, I can view it from several inches away, which I really like.
Old October 26th, 2013, 03:52 AM   #4
Major Player

I use the Carryspeed VF-4 lcd viewfinder.

$50 OFF Carry Speed VF-4 LCD ViewFinder CheesyCam

It isn't very expensive and is better than every other viewfinder I've used (although I've not used the Zacuto). It really helps when trying to focus.
Andrew Maclaurin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2013, 04:58 AM   #5
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Maclaurin View Post
I use the Carryspeed VF-4 lcd viewfinder.

$50 OFF Carry Speed VF-4 LCD ViewFinder CheesyCam

It isn't very expensive and is better than every other viewfinder I've used (although I've not used the Zacuto). It really helps when trying to focus.
That is also known as the Swivi & is a recent acquisition of mine. It is extremely well made & works really well. I have used a Z-finder & the Swivi/Carryspeed is easily the equal.
Nigel Barker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2013, 05:59 AM   #6
Major Player

I never shoot without my Zfinder. Best accessory outside the lenses themself and worth every penny. Vastly better than other cheap loopes I tried. No mechanical parts or battery to fuss with.haven't tried the cheesy cam you mention. Looks like a knock off, so likely decent.
Al Bergstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2013, 10:51 AM   #7
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Maclaurin View Post
I use the Carryspeed VF-4 lcd viewfinder...
Hi Andrew,

When we first got our Mk3s and 6D I bought a couple of Carryspeed VF-3 viewfinders. I mainly wanted them for shooting outdoor wedding ceremonies. I really like the way the eye piece swings up so I can just use it as an LCD sun shade.

It looks like the frame on the VF-4 is bigger than the VF-3 so it fits the Mk3 better, but the LA Color LCD magnifiers totally blows away the VF-3 in image size and obtaining focus.
Old October 26th, 2013, 11:57 AM   #8
Major Player

Mark,
I believe the Carryspeed VF-4 is 3x magnification as well. The good thing is there are now quality choices at reasonable prices whereas in the past we were restricted to very expensive gear or cheap compromised stuff.

Nigel,
I didn't realise they were the same. It's true that the Carryspeed is very well made and is extremely well thought out. I have a touch screen on my 700D and it's really easy to use with the VF-4. The loupe comes off in 2-3 secs and then I can use the flip-out LCD as well. I am most pleased with my purchase so far.
Andrew Maclaurin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2013, 06:25 AM   #9
Inner Circle

I wear glasses 80-90% of the time but I specifically wear contacts when filming as it allows me to use a loupe. The other big benefit of a loupe apart from viewing the LCD larger is that the eye-cup provides a third point of contact & allows for much more stable footage e.g. when using a monopod.
Nigel Barker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2013, 08:06 AM   #10
Major Player

I've never even be tempted to use a loupe. My camera is rarely at my exact eye level. And i neither want to keep all my filming work at eye level, nor do I want to contort my body so that I can look through a loupe all the time.

I bought a wee sun shade that attaches to the LCD screen once, but it sunny conditions I found it to to add pretty much no benefit at all.
Clive McLaughlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2013, 10:37 AM   #11
Regular Crew

I use it and love it. Can't live without that kind viewfinder for DSLR shooter. I agree as Mark said Taky is the best customer services.
Old October 29th, 2013, 12:37 PM   #12
Major Player

Hi Cuong,

Thanks for introducing me to the dual eye magnifier. Trisha and I really enjoyed our little visit with you and seeing your gear.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques