Does autofocus dslr video work on steadycams? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old February 7th, 2014, 04:32 AM   #16
Major Player

Re: Does autofocus dslr video work on steadycams?

Hi folks, I just wanted to raise the debate on this again.

I had pretty much decided the 70D autofocus for steadycam work was not good enough to rely on for weddings.

But then I found this video - completely autofocus and shallow. - I'm shocked and very tempted!

Clive McLaughlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2014, 05:29 AM   #17
Inner Circle

With such shallow dof it's always a risk using autofocus, no matter how good it is, I think it's more a matter of keeping your subject in that area where you know your camera is focusing, if the subject will be out of that focus area too long focus will eventually shift while that might not be wanted.
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2014, 05:59 AM   #18
Inner Circle

That seemed to work much like the FS700 does auto focus wise. When I watch it full screen at higher resolutions I see a bit a focus hunting in most of the shots.

If you notice many of the shots in that video have a lot of parallax going on (pivoting around the subject). That makes it a lot easier for the camera to grab the subject since most everything in the image except the subject is moving quickly. The edit doesn't show any missed shots or describes how many shots were dropped for being missed.

As far as a debate I think many of the operators with a bit of experience will still tell you to set the camera to manual and roll. Autofocus is unpredictable. It could seriously let you down at the worst time possible. Since you have no opportunity for a second take I don't think its worth the risk.
Old February 7th, 2014, 06:04 AM   #19
Major Player

I understand the reservations but when I think of the shots I do (see video) with a minimum of f3.5 (f9 outdoors), I really don't imagine it will get overly confused. I'm tempted to give it a go. Low light would not be so graet, shooting shallow - so i may take some evening down time and switch to flying my 6D (worth the effort to rebalance?)
password - flycam

Clive McLaughlin is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques