Just wanted to say thanks at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old October 28th, 2013, 09:57 PM   #1
Major Player

Just wanted to say thanks

I covered my first wedding this past Saturday. I learned alot from this forum, and appreciate all the suggestions and info you have provided so far. My wife and I had a blast covering the wedding. I believe it was fun to do somehting together. Boy was I wiped out after the wedding. I was using a Monfrotto monopod during the reception, using it in all certain ways, felt like I had done crunches in the gym. Weddings are hard work. For anyone who down plays what we do, they are terribly mistaken. I give alot of credit to you guys. Coming from news, it in many ways is much like news. You are constanly on the look out for stuff to shoot. Thanks again.
Jeff Cook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2013, 01:17 AM   #2
Trustee

Re: Just wanted to say thanks

The forum and it's members are great aren't they !

Glad your first wedding went well. And I definitely agree about how difficult it can get!
James Manford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2013, 01:28 AM   #3
Inner Circle

Hi Jeff

Yep, it's physically tough as well as mentally tough. I did a wedding last month for my niece (as her gift) and my wife came as a guest and commented that I hardly ever sat down the entire day and evening!
I did actually take a seat for dinner but that's about all. You can easily be on your feet for over 12 hours so no wonder you are tired.

I changed my packages in 2013 so the latest I now stay is to the end of the first dance (about 9:30pm) and it makes a huge difference compared to older weddings where I stuck around till midnight and only got to bed at 2am .... Weddings seem a lot easier now that I get home at a decent hour! It really wasn't worth the extra money to keep up with the long packages

Well done on the shoot

Chris
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2013, 02:14 AM   #4
Major Player

Yea, you arn't long doing a few weddings before you want to re-value the work you do.

I had no issues upping my price once I started to realise the effort involved!

Well done Jeff, enjoy the editing!
Clive McLaughlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2013, 05:07 AM   #5
Inner Circle

Jeff,
I've stated many times that shooting a wedding is like shooting breaking news. It happens once, it happens fast and there are no re-dos! Oh yeah, it's a long day as well. I've done up to 18 hours but only once in awhile on East Asian weddings. I'm far to old and out of shape for that any more.
You should always be re-evaluating your work not only for quality and style but also for price point. It's a never ending learning process.
Have fun and keep enjoying the work.
Old October 29th, 2013, 04:04 PM   #6
Major Player

Thanks. I am going to up the price now. I needed one wedding to show people what I could accomplish. The wedding I did was really inexpensive, but I learned alot and I now have a trailer to post on the web.
Jeff Cook is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques