Change to full frame better or same as crop - Page 6 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old November 28th, 2013, 06:19 PM   #76
Trustee

Re: Change to full frame better or same as crop

That's the one I saw Dave...
Steve Bleasdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2013, 05:34 AM   #77
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bleasdale View Post
Would anyone swap their 5d iii for the c100? One push button focus, peaking, fantastic low light, great dynamic range or has the 5d iii got better shallow depth of field. steve
We've just gone all C100 and I have to say, this thing is utterly amazing. ISO 20,000 is just beautiful and clean. Peaking, continuous recording.

On the focus side, dont get too excited. Its just the same as pusing the AF button on your DSLR. It hunts, in, out, in out then settles. Its nothing like servo autofocus like you remember on the likes of the Z1 or any other dedicated video camera. In a word, its useless and not something you would ever use. Quicker to manually focus.

The question really is do you have the budget to upgrade? And, how old are your cameras? We give all our gear a 5 year life cycle. You will gain pretty much nothing by going full frame. My personal fav is the 7D for DSLR shooting. Even the C100 has a 1.3 crop. Low light, yes the MK3 is better but if light is that low that you need the MK3's extra power then things really must be dark and I would consider throwing a little wattage in there. Even shooting in a candlelit castle with the 7D I was happy with the results at ISO 1250 (shutter down to 30).

Thing with the C100 is the extra power only comes into play when you shoot using c-log. Which means all your cameras need to shoot with this really as its pretty hard to mix DSLR with c-log footage.

Switching brands you must also consider... what are you going to do with your significant lens investment? Make sure you can buy some adapters.

To be honest, I have no issue with the 5DMK2 and a 7D setup like we have.
Old November 29th, 2013, 05:48 AM   #78
Trustee

Cheers Danny always great info from you. Yes sure my 60ds are still great and touch wood no comaints in 7 years. But it's just that time when the B&G don't want the lights on in a dark ambient environment. I have five in Knowsley hall next year and I tell you it's dark dungeon like. 1.4 50mm is ok at 1600 and neat video is good at fine tuning any noise but I am a geek and a 5d is in my thoughts and now a c100!!! Us men and toys ha
Old December 5th, 2013, 12:49 PM   #79
Major Player

Also consider going for a shutter speed of 30. Breaks all the rules, blah blah blah but we use it all the time when we need a push and notice very little extra motion blur over 1/50.

C100 is great so far but it is a 1.54 crop, so like a 7d. Having to look at our lens bag as the 50mm is now more like 85mm telephoto.
Old December 5th, 2013, 01:20 PM   #80
Trustee

Cheers Danny... I think the 5d iii is going to be my last camera buy, like you say the c100 will be hard to match my dslrs and I think the 5d iii will match better in cinema c profile which I love.. Work flow really is the same as the c100 all manual anyway, just you will have the peaking and other bits on the c100 but im used to the dslr run and gun so the 5d will fit in. Will you be using two c100s or will you try match to dslr? steve
Old December 5th, 2013, 04:56 PM   #81
Major Player

We are now all c100 with a dslr as a backup camera.
Old December 6th, 2013, 02:32 PM   #82
Major Player

Quote:
Cheers Danny... I think the 5d iii is going to be my last camera buy
This year?
Before Christmas???
Until the next one????
I was so proud that I did not buy a camera this year... Except for the 70d that I just ordered... I sure hope they don't put that AF into a full frame camera! With a better codec. Damn technology!!! Why can't it just sit still for awhile????
Brian David Melnyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2013, 02:57 PM   #83
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian David Melnyk View Post
This year?
Before Christmas???
Until the next one????
I was so proud that I did not buy a camera this year... Except for the 70d that I just ordered... I sure hope they don't put that AF into a full frame camera! With a better codec. Damn technology!!! Why can't it just sit still for awhile????
Ha ha, if it didn't, then the Uncle Bob's would catch up to us.
Robert Benda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2013, 03:43 PM   #84
Trustee

Boys and their toys! Bloody money it costs this game we are in
Old December 10th, 2013, 01:08 PM   #85
Regular Crew

The choice of kit is almost endless with new toys being released in rapid succession.

The Panasonic guys have the GH4 in the pipe line 4K Panasonic GH4 May Arrive This Spring to Compete Against Canon Cinema Cameras No Film School

Sounds like a nice piece of kit.
Matt Brady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2013, 01:14 PM   #86
Trustee

Nope Matt two c100 on order for January... Early next year, three Peckfortan castle and dark, four knowsley dungeon and dark. Five Mottram hall and dark. Don't like Panasonic...
Old December 10th, 2013, 01:21 PM   #87
Regular Crew

Nice toys. You will need them in Peckforton that is one dark castle to shoot in.

But who needs low light performance when you have a 1000watt blonde!!! Let there be light, and there was light.....
Matt Brady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2013, 01:29 PM   #88
Trustee

Haha nice one, Cant wait to get them babies for my new format out in January, keep watching kidda.....
Old December 10th, 2013, 02:16 PM   #89
Trustee

Quote:
Nope Matt two c100 on order for January... Early next year, three Peckfortan castle and dark, four knowsley dungeon and dark. Five Mottram hall and dark. Don't like Panasonic...
LOL so after all that you went with the C100 ?

I have to admit I was sorry to see the demo C100 go back….. definitely loved that camera. Still thinking about it.
Old December 10th, 2013, 02:38 PM   #90
Trustee

Yep decided Dave got to stay ahead of the competition that watch your every move!!
Steve Bleasdale is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques