Wedding Videographer or just the wedding video guy. - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old November 7th, 2013, 06:23 PM   #16
Trustee

Re: Wedding Videographer or just the wedding video guy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Partington View Post
I have a feeling that one of the reasons people hold photos in higher esteem is that the photographer is interacting with them all day long whereas the poor video guy is supposed to be in the background, not getting in the way, so they don't really see or appreciate the work that goes on, because they aren't being bossed around in order to get them to do stuff. You could be any one, including uncle bob walking around and it's not until long after the wedding is over that they get to see your work.
Excellent point. The amount of footage I've captured from past jobs, where you can see the photographer having a casual chat in between his photos is unbelievable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Blackhurst View Post
James -

Just to clarify, the laser you were seeing is the auto focus assist, not the flash (some flashes have them, but most cameras do as well) That laser grid is projected so the auto focus can make a desperate stab in the dark (literally) at what it thinks the 'tog is trying to shoot. Of course if the "target" is moving, this is hit and miss.

Photographers have to fight the dark just like we do, except that they can "light 'er up" momentarily using a flash. Some are actually starting to use the small LED lights to assist the camera (and the 'tog) in actually being able to see and compose.

I'd suggest if you find this in the future to either fire up a small light (the 'tog will likely be grateful), and/or ask him to turn AF assist OFF. Now you know what to ask for. Usually the focus assist is on by default, and the 'tog won't notice it, in most cases if you're shadowing with even a little extra light, they won't need it and can turn it off - I'm thinking you couldn't have had that much better low light capability than they did?
That clears it up then!
James Manford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2013, 12:08 AM   #17
Major Player

I just did a wedding this past weekend with two photographers, husband and wife. When I made sure the coast was clear from on point, all of a sudden the husband was in the shot. I had to weave in between the two. Let's face it, it is an event and we all want the shots. There will be times that we get in eachothers shots. While they do the photo shoot I am right there getting my video.
My wife helps me out when I shoot and she said, "Video seems to be so much harder than photos." She has seen me bust my hump getting good shots at every angle and then sit in the editing room piecing this whole thing together. We do work hard. I am not a photographer so I do not know what goes on in post, but I do know us "Video guys," work damn hard and are worth every penny.
Jeff Cook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2013, 01:34 AM   #18
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Partington View Post
I have a feeling that one of the reasons people hold photos in higher esteem is that the photographer is interacting with them all day long whereas the poor video guy is supposed to be in the background, not getting in the way, so they don't really see or appreciate the work that goes on, because they aren't being bossed around in order to get them to do stuff. You could be any one, including uncle bob walking around and it's not until long after the wedding is over that they get to see your work.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nigel Barker View Post
That is a very good point.
The best feeling in the world is quietly kicking ass all day long in the background, secretly knowing that your work is going to be the best thing they'll take away from their wedding. That's what drives me. Even the best photo can't hold a candle to a great video.
James Hobert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2013, 07:33 AM   #19
Major Player

"The best feeling in the world is quietly kicking ass all day long in the background, secretly knowing that your work is going to be the best thing they'll take away from their wedding. That's what drives me. Even the best photo can't hold a candle to a great video"

Amen.....
Old November 8th, 2013, 07:44 AM   #20
Inner Circle

Hi Guys

Absolutely!! We need to redo the saying " A picture paints a thousand words" ... a video paints an entire album"

I do both photo and video if I can and I still rate my videos way above the inanimate still pictures ... also gone are the days where the photog had the edge with his black and white, sepia and colour pops as well as composites. We can do all that and more on video now!!

Chris
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2013, 09:14 AM   #21
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Cook View Post
My wife helps me out when I shoot and she said, "Video seems to be so much harder than photos."
I look at it this way if a photographer misses the first minute of the first dance or speeches, it's going to be unnoticable (relatively speaking). If during the ceremony he has trouble with his camera & switches cameras or batteries, he's ok. If we miss a minute of anything, or switch cameras in the middle of something, the whole thing is pretty garbage & the DVD is basically jacked, and there will often be an upset bride (granted some might be understanding, although I've never really had it happen so luckily I don't know).

I don't want to derail the thread tho, or turn it into a photographer bashing thread. I've worked with some great ones, who not just have killer ports and shoot excellent low light, but have also been creative in posing bridal formals & making it fun. Something I've learned tremendously from & even used a couple times when it's been obvious the photographers style has been too reserved/traditional for the bride & groom, being that they wanted a more fun style approach.

Back OT, I think 3 photographers is too much. It's self-serving & impedes on the wedding, video & guests by having these people running all around during dances, speeches, ceremony etc. Add in the video & that's 4 people running around. Secondly in the OP it sounds like it was more like 3 people just trying to build a portfolio for themselves, not really shoot a wedding.
David Barnett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2013, 09:48 AM   #22
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Harding View Post
Hi Guys

Absolutely!! We need to redo the saying " A picture paints a thousand words" ... a video paints an entire album"

Chris
Something I've thought for a long time, but can't quite come up with something catchy that I'm happy with. Maybe we should start brainstorming on that very topic.
Old November 8th, 2013, 12:05 PM   #23
Inner Circle

A thousand words will never match "being there"...
Dave Blackhurst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2013, 08:26 PM   #24
Trustee

I have a number of posters that I use for expo displays - one of them is - if a picture's worth a thousand words - what's a motion picture worth?

pretty good but I can't lay claim to it, I think I saw it on something Paper Crane did a few years ago.
Old November 26th, 2013, 09:45 AM   #25
Tourist

I'm curious -- aren't you showing your demo reel to the prospective clients in order to book the work? If so, then your reel should show them how amazing their video can be. And it's true -- still photos can't hold a candle to excellent video work. That demo reel should be all that's needed to gain the respect of the clients for your work.
David Richardson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 26th, 2013, 09:46 AM   #26
Tourist

"A picture is worth a thousand words. A video is thousands of pictures!"
David Richardson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques