What's your story? How did you make it in the biz? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old November 7th, 2013, 10:39 PM   #1
Major Player

What's your story? How did you make it in the biz?

I was just curious on how all of you are making it full time as a videographer in the event/wedding industry. One day I would like to have so much business I could give up the day job. I am sure that wont happen for a long time, but I really appreciate working on my own. So how did you guys start your business? Best type of advertising? Weddingwire.com Facebook, word of mouth.
Jeff Cook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2013, 12:19 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: What's your story? How did you make it in the biz?

Hi Jeff

I only do 30 odd weddings a year so unless you are charging a fortune for each wedding..it's hard to just survive on weddings. I suppose around 50% of my income is weddings and 50% are Realty shoots..that also keeps me busy during the week and I make a pretty liveable income by combining both!

Admittedly I could do something else to earn the second half but I wouldn't be happy sitting at a desk or having to sit on the highway at 7am every morning so that's my choice to do Realty during the week and because they are all shoots it makes me happy doing something I enjoy!

I think I started like you doing part time shoots but now I only have a informative website ..pretty important!! and then I advertise on one wedding directory online ..that is enough for me!

The only real issue trying to do weddings full time is that 99% of brides here want the Saturday and there is only 4 each month so that does restrict your income so corporate shoots doing the week are a nice way to keep busy.

Chris
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2013, 01:03 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Re: What's your story? How did you make it in the biz?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Cook View Post
I was just curious on how all of you are making it full time as a videographer in the event/wedding industry. One day I would like to have so much business I could give up the day job. I am sure that wont happen for a long time, but I really appreciate working on my own. So how did you guys start your business? Best type of advertising? Weddingwire.com Facebook, word of mouth.
It can happen quick if you are passionate enough about it. And have a good eye. I started on a whim on Craigslist believe it or not, realized I loved it, secretly did about 10 more over the next year, built a site and after year two I was up to over 40 per year. Hone your craft and charge accordingly. Keep an eye on those in your market and price competitively. A lot of this business is developing relationships with these couples. If the work is good, that'll get them contacting you, then your communication and passion will sell you. Once you've done enough to know if it's really what you wanna do, then don't fret about paying to advertise on WeddingWire/TheKnot/etc. Those sites are awesome. Word of mouth will come naturally over time.
James Hobert is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques