Have you done a naming day before? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old November 15th, 2013, 03:08 AM   #1
Trustee

Have you done a naming day before?

I've done baptisms before... actually only Greek baptisms I think... but have to confess i've never actually heard of a "naming day". Seems to be some sort of non-religious baptism-like event.

Anyone experienced in shooting them?

Any tips you can give me before Sunday?
Adrian Tan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2013, 05:58 AM   #2
Major Player

Re: Have you done a naming day before?

I've done one which followed on from the couples civil marriage ceremony. It was not a whole lot different to a civil wedding in that there were "vows" and a couple of readings and a certificate presented. Not nearly as long or involved as Greek baptisms or for that matter Church of England or Catholic christenings.

As with baptisms be prepared for the parents godparents and sundry others to surround the child at crucial moments just like a rugby scrum blocking your view. I would make a strong point with the parents that you do need a clear line of sight at all times and that they should plan where the guests are to be with that in mind. Discuss that with the celebrant as well. At least with Greek ones they do move about quite a bit so its not such a problem :- )

And if there is to be a photographer make extra sure they are not going to be up close and in all the clips. They can easily ruin such close-cropped intimate shoots.

A GoPro on a lightstand a couple of feet above eye height is a good insurance policy.

Pete
Peter Riding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2013, 09:16 PM   #3
Trustee

Thanks Peter!
Adrian Tan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2013, 03:42 AM   #4
Inner Circle

Yes I have. My grand nephew was born profoundly deaf and my niece, his aunt, is a minister in the Uniting church. She organised it as a non religious ceremony and conducted the whole event.

It was held in a local community hall with relatives and friends and I covered it with one camera and a lav mic on my niece and a stand mic. for the speakers. She called various members of the audience and they spoke in support of the 8 months old child. It runs 45 minutes.

He's now being trial fitted with Cochlea implants and one day in the future, he'll see ... and hear his naming ceremony and I'll always be proud of my part in it.

Cheers.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques