Field Monitor with peaking at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old November 20th, 2013, 06:09 AM   #1
Inner Circle

Field Monitor with peaking

Hi All - I've started to use my 5DIII for evening receptions as my EA50 doesn't really cut it in low light - despite using Canon glass at f2.8 I still need an on-camera light, which is something I hate!!! One problem I'm having however is focus, my Sony cams have great focus peaking but with the 5D I'm constantly checking my focus. I use a lilliput 5" field monitor that helps but what i really need is one with good peaking - can anyone recommend one in around the £300 price bracket?

I should point out I have a Swivi viewfinder but I shoot from a variety of angles and having my eye against the loupe restricts me.

This from IKAN is looking promising at only $224

Pete

Last edited by Peter Rush; November 20th, 2013 at 06:45 AM.
Peter Rush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20th, 2013, 02:20 PM   #2
Major Player

Re: Field Monitor with peaking

Have you thought about putting Magic Lantern in the Canon as it has focus peaking that comes through the HDMI.
Donald McPherson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2013, 03:52 AM   #3
Inner Circle

ML doesn't work with firmware 1.2.3 unfortunately
Old November 21st, 2013, 05:31 AM   #4
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Rush View Post
ML doesn't work with firmware 1.2.3 unfortunately
Correct. But unless you need clean HDMI (not really required for a monitor) you can down rev to a lower version that does.
Old November 21st, 2013, 12:23 PM   #5
Trustee

[QUOTE=Peter Rush;1821436]Hi All - I've started to use my 5DIII for evening receptions as my EA50 doesn't really cut it in low light - despite using Canon glass at f2.8 I still need an on-camera light, which is something I hate!!!
Jeez just about to pull the trigger on a 5d iii, Pete??
Steve Bleasdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2013, 01:53 PM   #6
Inner Circle

I really hate it Steve - I love the quality of the footage but the form factor!!! I'm old school and although I embraced short form cameras such as the Sony Z1/FX1 over traditional shoulder mount I struggle with the 5D. I hate that I have to be a meccano expert just to have a usable mic and monitor lol!

Joking aside I find myself more and more uncomfortable using an on-camera light during evening receptions and this is where i hope the 5D, for me, will shine - coupled with my 24-70mm f2.8 and 50mm f1.8 I can just about get the footage I need without p*****ng off half the guests. DOF at 1.8 is a little tricky without focus peaking though.

For the rest of the day my EA50 and Canon lenses do the job - it's when the lights go down I struggle!
Old November 23rd, 2013, 02:41 AM   #7
Trustee

Ha Gotcha Pete, still the 5d looks the best for low light so I am getting one, just worried it was not that good!! Cheers mate all the very best.
Steve Bleasdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 23rd, 2013, 01:59 PM   #8
Inner Circle

I had the same problem using the 5DM2, once you start rolling, it's hard to focus using the LCD and Loupes are restrictive.

I used the SmallHD DP4 that optionally has a flip-up loupe and can swivel up or sideways or both when you want a more comfortable angle. It's very light so mounting it on the shoe is tolerable. The SmallHD focus peaking technology is fantastic. Watch some of their videos about it.

I know what you mean about the ergonomics of shooting with a stills camera. I bought the Edelkrone Handstrap to restore the traditional grip missing from stills camera bodies. You can build out a whole system that gives you a cage for all the things missing from a stills camera. It's modeled after the XL1. Not cheap but had I stayed with the 5DMxx line, I would have gone with it I think.
Les Wilson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques