DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Wedding / Event Videography Techniques (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/)
-   -   Delivery format (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/520403-delivery-format.html)

Brian Drysdale December 9th, 2013 09:44 AM

Re: Delivery format

I should point out that a number of people offer shooting weddings on Super 8, I suspect they're being sold is something different to the standard wedding video. They can be then delivered on whatever format is decided, a HD transfer works rather well with Super 8. Kodachrome is no longer available, so they're using modern neg stocks.

Arthur Gannis December 9th, 2013 08:07 PM

There is a guy here in the NY area that for the past several years has been shooting weddings on a Beaulieu
Super 8. From what I gathered he shoots about 20 minutes of footage and charges $3 to 4 K. What he does with the film or how he edits and the delivery format I do not know. Perhaps it is the way he shoots or the film look of 8mm film going through the sprockets of the projector with a few scratches and dust mites effect, I wonder. I imagine that look can be emulated in post, but hey, he's makin' the big bucks for 20 minutes of shooting. Hope he spends at least 4 days to edit that for the moola he's chargin'

Tim Lewis December 9th, 2013 09:45 PM

This is an interesting discussion.

The delivery format is such a question for videographers as no matter how the product is delivered, the viewing experience relies again on technology to allow the customer to experience the product.

While the (cursed) wedding photographers deliver a product that relies on no technology to access, except eyes. This is a fundamental difference in these services, which is why we will probably never see a wedding without a photographer.

Maybe if we delivered the wedding video as a flip book of frames, we could get away from a reliance on any particular delivery technology.

Can you see FCP having a File>Print>Print Flip Book option?

Chris Harding December 9th, 2013 10:23 PM

Hi Tim

Most videographers here seems to supply just a DVD so some technology is needed ..Grandma might not have a computer to see the photos so the bride will have to go out and print a selection for those without technology.

In the old days of film, they got an album so it was instant view of photos in a wedding album with all the pics nicely mounted and presented with nothing needed but eyes and one hand to flip the pages.

Chris

Steven Digges December 9th, 2013 10:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tim Lewis (Post 1823804)
This is an interesting discussion.

Maybe if we delivered the wedding video as a flip book of frames, we could get away from a reliance on any particular delivery technology.

Can you see FCP having a File>Print>Print Flip Book option?

That is funny Tim! A flip book plug in is the only one I think I have never seen. Dust mites and all the rest of the old time stuff is readily available. The mention of super 8 for $$$ does not surprise me. In this business guys replicating "styles or looks" from other days is nothing new. There has been lots of them. The guys that jump on those things early are the ones that cash in because it seems as though they are doing something unique. By the time it becomes a fad the big money goes away and so does the fad.

So......which one of you guys is ready to offer a wedding in B&W with no audio to replicate the silent movies of old? One step beyond a flip book Tim....You might be on to something there....Just remember to charge $10,000.00 for it. If you can convince the bride it is a difficult art form to achieve instead of a plug in your good to go. And, isn't a silent bride the dream of every groom. Oops, I forgot, a silent bride is the dream of married men, that wish comes at some point AFTER the wedding so don't use that as an up-sale tactic!

Steve

Dave Partington December 10th, 2013 04:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tim Lewis (Post 1823804)
While the (cursed) wedding photographers deliver a product that relies on no technology to access, except eyes. This is a fundamental difference in these services, which is why we will probably never see a wedding without a photographer.

Photographers are both celebrating and cursing the demise of the album with more and more couples opting for digital delivery on either disc or USB stick. So the photographers are actually moving towards needing the technology more and more.

People are also now very accustomed to viewing their proofs online too. This all saves cost for the photographer and speeds up the workflow.

For my corporate clients, I generally deliver everything online.

Even the last funeral I did they opted for download only, no physical media.

Contrast that with the school nativity plays and everything is pay-per-dvd.

Tim Lewis December 10th, 2013 06:46 AM

Thanks Dave, that all sounds like good news.

Brian Drysdale December 10th, 2013 05:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arthur Gannis (Post 1823800)
Perhaps it is the way he shoots or the film look of 8mm film going through the sprockets of the projector with a few scratches and dust mites effect, I wonder. I imagine that look can be emulated in post, but hey, he's makin' the big bucks for 20 minutes of shooting. Hope he spends at least 4 days to edit that for the moola he's chargin'

A lot of super 8 goes through a video post production. The cheapest method is just to point a projector at a wall and use a video camera, but the highest quality work uses a telecine for the transfer. Being different enables you to charge more.