My favorite lens - Canon DSLR shooter at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old December 27th, 2013, 01:26 PM   #1
Trustee

My favorite lens - Canon DSLR shooter

I'm editing footage and have come to realize that, of all our zooms we use when filming a ceremony, this one is my favorite based entirely on how it looks.

An old Sears Pentax mount 70-210 f/4. And it cost $35. The color, the compression... that I could afford f/4 all the way through a zoom.

Of course, with a mount adaptor, it's a huge pain in the butt since you're just as likely to unscrew it from the mount as you are to adjust focus, but I usually use it for the locked off camera in the back. And of course, no image stabilization.

Anyone else?

_____
RNB wedding videography
Robert Benda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 27th, 2013, 03:02 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: My favorite lens - Canon DSLR shooter

In my limited experience with old manual lenses I found I liked them mostly outdoors. For indoor wedding work I stongly preferred the newer lenses. The Canon FD line of lenses gave me some nice images in the park, etc., but for indoor use they seemed too warm and unsharp.

The Canon FD 135 F/2.5 was not a particularly great lens but I really enjoyed using it outdoors, had a very filmic feel to it. Very soft lens so it was a challenge to focus. Amazing portrait lens under the right conditions, which is when it's softness was a huge benefit.
Jeff Harper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 27th, 2013, 03:42 PM   #3
Major Player

The screw mount Takumar series of pentax lenses were tops and still are, I use 3 of my favorites quite often. The 35mm F2 SMC Takumar, the 50mm MC F1.4 and my favorite for outdoor the 85-210 F4.5 SMC.
The 35 I do the entire reception with. the 50mm for church and the zoom for outdoor work. All 3 costed used less than $250. I use the Canon 5D2.
Arthur Gannis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 27th, 2013, 04:54 PM   #4
Major Player

For outdoor ceremonies, I really like the Vivitar Series 1 70-210 3.5. The image looks incredible. The draw backs are a lack of image stabilization and it's not para focal. Another vintage zoom I like for the ceremony is the Nikon 100-300 f4, but again no IS. The need of IS, especially on windy days and the convenience of a para focal lens, we finally gave in and bought a couple of Canon 70-200 2.8 IS lenses which are outstanding lenses, they just cost a little more than the vintage zooms. ;-)

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques