Which 25mm lens should I get? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old January 7th, 2014, 05:54 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Which 25mm lens should I get?

I want an amazing M 4/3rds lens for shooting video and ONLY video. Preferably, as beautiful as possible and with great colors.

Right now, I'm torn between the Leica 25mm F1.4 and the Voigtlander F0.95. Does anybody here have experience with eitheir or both of these?

Also, will the GH2/GH3's focus assist (Hitting the touchscreen and having it zoom in for focusing) work the Voigtlander since it's manual?

Thank you for reading.
Jarred Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2014, 06:34 PM   #2
Major Player

Re: Which 25mm lens should I get?

I would recommend the Leica one just for the autofocus difference. Autofocus makes your work a breeze.
In low light, you are constantly straining your vision to track and adjust focus. If this is your only lens choice, of using a single lens for the entire day, then a wide optic like the Olympus 17mm F1.8 would be an excellent addition.
Arthur Gannis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2014, 01:13 AM   #3
Major Player

Re: Which 25mm lens should I get?

I have the Voigtlander and it's great. Focus assist does work, but I don't use the touch screen to do that, I assign one of the function buttons to do it on the GH3 and I press in the scroll wheel on the GH2. The lack of autofocus doesn't bother me. For me the manual focus ring is so much nicer to use than the focus by wire system of the Leica. It's really going to be personal preference as I hear the Leica is really good. It is a bit slower, though. However at f/0.95 the image is a tad soft on the Voigtlander.
Patrick Janka is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques