New Website - advice appreciated! at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old January 24th, 2014, 07:45 AM   #1
Regular Crew

New Website - advice appreciated!

Greetings everybody! I'm not a web guy at all. A few years ago I paid a guy to make a website. It looked great and I was soon #1 in my area in organic google searches. The problem was that I had no way to update the site. And while I don't completely understand the whole google search process, I know that my site went from being listed first for several years to not even listed at all. I would even google the web address and it didn't show up. I'm guessing that google didn't like...something about it.

Anyways, I decided to take control of the site over and make it myself. Any constructive criticism would be appreciated!

Integrity Productions - wedding videos in lexington

Thanks!
Old January 24th, 2014, 08:11 AM   #2
Major Player

Re: New Website - advice appreciated!

I like it. However not sure if you created the hyperlinks on your About Us page, or if the template created them, but I don't like it. Aside from the "Here's my video", but I don't need links to where you went to college nor to the 2006 Olympics etc. One other thing if you can change the general font to something a bit nicer, not a fan overall of Arial overall, but thats just a thing for me I suppose. Also, changing the logo, drop shadow & menu font color to grey rather than blue might give more of a wedding feel, rather than light blue. #333 #666 &/or #999. The blue with the blurred beach foto kinda throws it off imho.
David Barnett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2014, 10:04 AM   #3
Regular Crew

One of the first things I noticed was the shots in the slider. While they are really nice looking shots, they all are of the "same" thing, a couple kissing (except for two shots, I'll give you that). Granted that's a huge part of what a couple does at a wedding (duh!), but I would like to see a larger variety of things that might get captured during a wedding video - crazy dancing, hair getting done, groom's tie being tied, champagne being toasted, etc.

My two cents!
Max Palmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2014, 11:13 AM   #4
Regular Crew

This is super helpful! I'll get hoping on these changes!
Old January 24th, 2014, 12:06 PM   #5
Major Player

Also, just clicked on your Pricing page. I don't like the phrases "Good, Better, Best" for levels. At all. There was a thread on here a while ago debating what people are using, and I understand its difficult coming up with names without upsetting lower budget brides ("I'm interested in a Bronze medal package"), but I think Good/Better/Best is about the worst it could be phrased. Again, myb that's just me. Myself, I settled on Tier 1, Tier 2 & Tier 3, but choose whatever you want.

Off topic, You use 5 cameras?!

Last edited by David Barnett; January 24th, 2014 at 08:04 PM.
Old January 24th, 2014, 01:26 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Thanks David! This is helpful. I'll switch the names out.

Yeah, I film with a stationary wide, a stationary aisle cam, second shooter on stage or side angle, and then I man a close cam and an "artsy" cam from the back.
Old January 24th, 2014, 08:06 PM   #7
Major Player

Well I like your site better now. Hope you didn't mind my little tweaks but typically I only try to chime in when people say "Feedback please" or something. Otherwise I just let stuff go.
Old January 24th, 2014, 08:35 PM   #8
Inner Circle

Hi David

I agree too ...in fact even Bronze, Silver, Gold might make the bride feel cheap if she doesn't take the Gold package even if she cannot afford it.

Tier 1, 2 and 3 is pretty neutral especially if you reverse them so they don't reflect any particular level.

I wonder if the package names would put off a potential bride at all?? Does anyone have names for their packages that are totally non-intimidating and neutral. ???

Nice site Jeremy but I would mod the first pic as the first thing you see is a silhouette shot which a bride might think is a poor exposure ...they often are simple creatures and could easily mistake shallow DOF for example as out of focus !! The experts say that you only have 30 seconds to impress a client!!

Chris
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2014, 05:28 PM   #9
Trustee

Jeremy, if I had to guess, your website is being punished for not having very much text/content on it. The more text, the more information Google has to work with. Having a good text to picture ratio is key, too.

I'd also wonder about backlinks - other websites that link to your content, thus lending you credibility. For instance, one checker only found 16 sites that link to yours, while mine has 115.

Why no option for prep+wedding without the reception?

Have you really directed 500,000 films? Your FAQ suggests you have (500k).

Try entering your website into this: Website Review - SEO Tool | WooRank.com
It will give you some more information to work with.
Robert Benda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2014, 02:19 AM   #10
Regular Crew

Robert, great advice!

I'm thinking I'll add more content to each of the video pages about the actual day. Great idea!

Lol, yeah I have directed a "shade" fewer than 500,000 films. I meant to say $500k. Good catch!

I've never had anyone contact me for just prep and wedding. I'll prob add a note about "don't see the package for you? Contact us!" Or something like that...

Ok, this may sound stupid...but how do I get places to link to me?

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques