I am insane - wedding I filmed at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old January 29th, 2014, 11:37 AM   #1
Trustee

I am insane - wedding I filmed

I've made reference to the fact that I'm actually a professional MC/DJ for weddings and the video side of things is new, and is (supposed to be) my wife's side of the business. In practical terms though, we're partners. Here is our website: http://rnbweddings.com/rnb-weddings-...g-videography/

Well, this past August, she was busy, and a DJ client asked about video and I agreed to film.

By myself.

And was their MC/DJ.

Here is the wedding film (13 minutes long) - seeing it now, a month or two after I did the editing, there are some thing I would change, but overall, this is about what we hope for. The sacrifice of filming alone was, of course, no groom prep, and a lot of stationary camera positions. This church was more restrictive about camera positions, so one ended up in the balcony (which I don't like) instead of a good closeup of each the bride & groom for vows. Also, the groom's recorder failed, which is why you can hear some issues there.

Shot on Canon 5d Mark ii and two T3i/550Ds. I started at her hotel at 9:30am, setup my DJ gear during their pictures, and finished up the dance about midnight - then tore down and got out of there about 1am (90 minute drive from my house).

Favorite moment for me might have been learning, all the sudden, that the groom is a professional hockey player. Calgary Flames (though he was traded to the Anaheim Ducks in November).

Robert Benda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2014, 02:17 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: I am insane - wedding I filmed

Well, Robert, I routinely do four camera weddings alone, not a biggie for me. It's a lot of running, but doable. 12-14 hour days are common.

I have gotten both bride and groom prep many times as well as pre and post ceremony photo sessions on same day as well. It's a hectic day but not as hard as people make it out to be. Just have to be very efficient.

I originally had assistant but after she quit I never replaced her. I have someone who will help me as needed now but mostly for loading and unloading, they are learning how to operate cameras and eventually will take over a camera.

I like shooting a lot more than editing.

The more you do it the better you will get. My biggest issue seems to be remembering everything, like the three recorders and the lavalier micrphone. Setting up for the ceremony is the most hectic for me as I'm collecting indoor outdoor footage of venue, people arriving, etc., getting a message from the bride and groom prior to start, etc., etc.. I do enjoy it though!
Jeff Harper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2014, 02:32 PM   #3
Trustee

Hectic, yes, Jeff. Last Friday there was two of us and we still barely got setup for the ceremony since an interview with the bride ran so long!

This one was so unusual because I was solo shooter AND DJ.

Jeff, we're considering moving to Bloomington (two hours west of you) in two or three years. We're tired of the frozen North and trying to figure out where to move to. Thought winters would be mild enough to tolerate in your neck of the woods, and give us access to the Cincy, Louisville, and Indianapolis markets. Maybe we can carpool :)
Old January 29th, 2014, 03:11 PM   #4
Inner Circle

I did not understand you were the DJ as well, I missed that. I owned a DJ company at one time. We had about 10 mobile units and I played nightclubs as well.

What you did was crazy. I would not enjoy doing both of those functions. I would have an DJ assistant and direct them if I had to, but I wouldn't do both by myself, but glad you go away with it.
Jeff Harper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2014, 03:33 PM   #5
Trustee

I do have another DJ who is my emergency backup who will help me from time to time - for instance at our June 29th wedding, I helped video, but was primarily the MC, and 2nd guy was the actual DJ.

Here I agreed to film and then, as the date approached, everyone else's schedules meant I was completely solo.
Old January 29th, 2014, 03:57 PM   #6
Major Player

That's very gutsy. I give you credit for pulling it off. I'd be a little skeptical about doing that often, unless it's really what you want to do. Don't try biting off more than you can chew.
David Barnett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2014, 04:21 PM   #7
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Barnett View Post
That's very gutsy. I give you credit for pulling it off. I'd be a little skeptical about doing that often, unless it's really what you want to do. Don't try biting off more than you can chew.
I don't know... greed may get the best of me. They gave me a nice tip at the end of the night!
Old January 29th, 2014, 04:27 PM   #8
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Benda View Post
I don't know... greed may get the best of me. They gave me a nice tip at the end of the night!
lol, I hear ya. I guess just thinking it out what if there's little time between getting to the venue & for you to set up your DJ equipment? I don't know avg setup time so myb that wouldn't be a concern. Or if the bride wants you to follow for the bridal party shots while everyone else goes to cocktail hour, kinda cuts into your setup time, esp if the bride or photographer really wanted to spend alot of time there, or the travel to the location was pretty far. Then your rushing to get the DJ stuff setup by 7pm.

I guess if you can do it then yeah I give you credit. Maybe you can add in a photo booth too, haha.
David Barnett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2014, 06:09 PM   #9
Trustee

Couldn't do the photo booth unless I didn't film any of the dancing :)

I certainly wouldn't do this on purpose again. I would *consider* just filming the ceremony ONLY as a solo shooter, then being their DJ.

Here the agreement was entirely about the DJ setup time. It worked here because everything was within 6 blocks of each other.

bride prep 9:30am-11
first look 11am
wedding party pictures in downtown streets til noon
then, during family pictures at chuch...
DJ setup at venue included full room up lighting (though mine are wireless battery powered units, so setup took 5-10 minutes for that, DJ gear takes 45 minutes or so if I try).
Ceremony site details 3pm
ceremony 4-4:40, +a little bit of receiving line
run like hell to pack up gear and get to reception hall first, to have background music playing and film details
Robert Benda is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques