How long do you wait? - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old February 19th, 2014, 09:32 AM   #31
Major Player

Re: How long do you wait?

here's another thought: if the couple waits long enough, more specifically, for their 120 year anniversary, they could demand the video for free, it'll be in public domain. :)
Old February 19th, 2014, 05:29 PM   #32
Major Player

I'll give it to the bride free on her 120th anniversary, if accompanied by her parents!
Old February 19th, 2014, 05:37 PM   #33
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Lewis View Post
I'll give it to the bride free on her 120th anniversary, if accompanied by her parents!
C'mon Tim you're being stingy. I'd do it for their 50th!
Old February 19th, 2014, 07:42 PM   #34
Inner Circle

Sadly one in four (or worse) never even make it to 5 never mind 50! and some don't even make it to the wedding day! I had a groom a few weeks ago who, after booking me and paying me 1/3 deposit in late January that the wedding was not going ahead for "personal reasons" ..I can imagine how much money they must have lost as they had already paid the venue a hefty amount as well as us and the photog

I guess when couples split up after a few years they send our carefully crafted DVD's to the garbage bin?

This bride's DVD set can sit on the shelf for as long as she likes ..I have her money and she has nothing ...!

Chris
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2014, 10:49 PM   #35
Inner Circle

I've often wondered how many of the B&Gs I've shot....uh I mean video'd over the last 30 years are still together. I'd be willing to bet less than 50%. I did do the 2nd weddings of one of the first couples I ever shot the wedding for. they got divorced after about 4 or 5 years and a couple of years later I did BOTH of the 2nds. It was actually pretty cool. I've also done the weddings of a few children of some of my first couples so I guess some do stay together.
Heck in my own family my wife and I are going on 45 years married (I really really really don't understand how she put up with me all these years but I'm not stupid. I don't ask!) Yet I have 2 of my 3 children who are either divorced or in the process of. The one I didn't think would last more than a few years has. Hmmm, go figure!
Anyway, NO I'm not going to try to contact any of them to do a survey since I don't really care but I will say I'm not missing doing weddings anymore. AAMOF I'm kind of enjoying the time off!
O|O
\--/
Old February 19th, 2014, 11:01 PM   #36
Inner Circle

Hey Don

Scary thought !! Considering we rely on marriage to make our income it's a wonder that people even bother?? Dunno about in the USA but here if a woman lives with you for 12 months she has exactly the same rights as if you had married you... so if you fight and go your own ways she can STILL get the house but at least here you only pay Child support no alimony like you guys have... Must be an income killer after you have had 3 ex-wives you are sending money to every month.

Sheesh with all those morbid prospects I'm amazed so many people still have weddings!! Does anyone over on your side of the pond do same sex weddings?? It's not legal here but it just might be a new market for us.

Hmmm maybe we need to look at funerals?? You don't have to get married but you have no choice when you die.

I have 2 kids married, the 3rd is living in sin and the 4th is getting married for the 2nd time next month

Chris
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2014, 07:44 AM   #37
Inner Circle

Yeah the odds might not be the best but we humans are an optimistic lot so we keep trying! ;-)

I've done a few same sex weddings over the last few years...frankly it didn't bother me at all. Money is money and I actually had a very good time at the events. They were well planned and went quite well.

For those that might be reading this here's is my disclaimer.....I am not FOR or AGAINST same sex marriage and THIS forum is NOT the place to discuss it. I am merely responding to a general question posed in a response to a post that I made about weddings in general. If you wish to discuss same sex marriage with someone please find someone that is willing to spend time and energy in that discussion and is willing to spend hours or more and thousands of words in defending their position and reasoning whatever side of the fence they are on! Thank you!

Funerals? Nope not for me. Like I said in another thread. I've done 2 military funerals and I will NEVER do another one nor will I do civilian funerals. Just not in me to do them.

Chris, like they say...little kids little problems...big kids, big problems! ;-)
Old February 20th, 2014, 08:10 AM   #38
Inner Circle

Hey Don

To me a wedding is a wedding and my job is to film it and get paid for doing my job. I have had skinny brides, HUGE brides and brides of all colours and cultures but to me it's purely a wedding and we all know that weddings are a happy occasion (well, mine always seem to be happy) so what better job than to film a happy occasion??

As videographers it's not our place to raise moral issues and I wouldn't never do that ..I look at it simply as more marketing opportunities and new clients once legislation is eventually passed here.

On the other point : We live opposite a Primary School and they are all little kids and I'm more than happy that my kids are now big kids ..don't think I could handle having young kids again .. nowdays is totally different and you can no longer apply a swift wack on the backside any more to restore discipline. I think quite often in this day and age we are getting "little kids also big problems"

There are a few advantages to being the age we are!!

Chris
Chris Harding is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques