Typeface for DVD menu at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old February 19th, 2014, 09:05 AM   #1
Inner Circle

Typeface for DVD menu

I'm not sure if it's because I'm used to looking at everything in HD these days but I'm increasingly unhappy about fonts looking soft when I'm using a menu for SD.

I use mainly Futura font but am starting to think there may be better fonts out there that alias nicer in SD. Also I find Photoshop's pixel aspect ration preview a little unnerving until I play it back from a DVD. I design my menus for SD at the actual size, rather than author in HD and then le Encore downsample.

Then again my player upscales so I like to watch a preview on an aged machine for confirmation. I would like your opinion though.

As an aside, how many of you still adhere to title safe areas? LCD TV sets have a tiny bezel which renders traditional safe areas a little obsolete I think.

Pete
Peter Rush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2014, 09:17 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: Typeface for DVD menu

Hi Pete

On my DVD background which is a pic of the couple I use Monotype Corsiva for the "Our Wedding Day" bit but I find that non fancy fonts are best for the menu titles so I stick to good ole Verdana and it seems to be OK. I too make my menu screen the same as SD so the pic is 1024x576.

I still adhere to safe areas ..I had a DVD set that went over the safe area on an LCD TV and my menu buttons simply vanished. Despite the screen, it can still overscan the video so you can lose critical bits!!

Chris
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2014, 09:26 AM   #3
Inner Circle

Re: Typeface for DVD menu

Hi Chris - yes sans serif fonts are best for menu text but regarding the safe area, I wonder about having my menu buttons (I use motion thumbnails) inside the 'action safe' area but outside the 'title safe' area. I wish I had an old tube TV to test it on

Pete
Peter Rush is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques