Help me decide! at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old February 26th, 2014, 09:19 AM   #1
Major Player

Help me decide!

So, I'm looking a wide lens for steadycam shots. I worry that 14mm is too wide so I found a Canon 20mm.

But can anyone comment on quality? Does anyone think 14mm is fine for steadycam, or am I right to consider 20mm?

Here are the options?

Samyang 14mm f/2.8--DigitalRev

or

Canon EF 20mm f/2.8 USM-DigitalRev
Clive McLaughlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2014, 09:44 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: Help me decide!

I like the wide perspective of a 14mm and use that very same Samyang lens for not only steadicam work but a lot of architecture shots on a slider. The only thing is you can't put a neutral density filter easily on without expensive adapter.

Pete
Peter Rush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2014, 09:54 AM   #3
Regular Crew

The wider you go, the easier it will be to fly on a Steadicam. There is no such thing as "too wide," unless you are worried about distortion, which will be greater with 14 than 20.
Finn Yarbrough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2014, 10:53 AM   #4
Inner Circle

For which camera will the lens be used?
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2014, 11:43 AM   #5
Trustee

i was going to ask about the camera, too. We have a 14mm f/2.8 we like, but mostly on our 70D, where it's equivalent to a 20mm (though, still with distortion on the edges) - though I will use it on our full frame for the *take it all in* moments, or to film dancing where head-to-toe is useful.

20mm is pretty wide and you won't have to worry about that distortion. Even on crop factor, it would be (almost) 35mm equivalent, still wide.
Robert Benda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2014, 12:01 PM   #6
Major Player

14mm is crazy wide and has serious edge distortion. Unless you get the canon 14mm rectilinear but then thats one of the most expensive lenses you can get.

I personally like to be able to punch it in when I'm flying and have fallen in love with my Canon 16-35mm. We use a C100 so this will also be cropped but still very much love it.

Others get on really well with the 11-16 Tokina.
Old February 26th, 2014, 12:03 PM   #7
Major Player

I'm going to buy another 6D for it.

I was debating the 70D for autofocus as some of you know but I'm feeling that it may not work as smotthly as I'd like.

Besides an ultra wide on the 6D will have a fairly close hyperfocal distance so focusing won't be much of an issue.

It means the clips will match up better with the quality of my current 6D.

I worry that the 14mm will have too much distortion than it will look more like an extreme sports gopro type film. lol
Also, if I don't want the subject to look too far away I would need to be right in his/her face.

I'm leaning towards the 20mm, but the Samyang/Rokinon 14mm can be picked up for about £100 less than the digitalrev price.....
Clive McLaughlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2014, 12:21 PM   #8
Trustee

Clive, the 70D's autofocus is wonderful. The button for while balance is in a menu, but other than that, I really like it. It's so nice not to worry about my focusing. I want to pair it with the Sigma 18-35mm f/1.8 (SO much flexibility!) It's $800 here in the U.S., and wow am I tempted, since it will work with autofocus, though I understand it's for crop-factor cameras.

It sounds like the 20mm is a good fit for you, in any case.

If you want to see the 14mm on a full frame, skip to 16:50 during that dance, I switched between a 50mm and 14mm. For filming a person close, see 21:16 and you'll see just how close the Best Man is.

Robert Benda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2014, 01:28 PM   #9
Inner Circle

For full frame I"d agree with Danny that 14mm is much too wide for general use, 14mm is ok though on aps-c sensor size but for my gh3 I find 14mm too limiting and am using a 12mm lens. I have shot at 10mm (a10-22mm canon lens) on a 550d and found 10mm distorting too much allready.
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2014, 05:54 PM   #10
Major Player

Be warned on digital rev. They bring in grey imports like simply electronics do. They often fudge serial numbers to clear customs with less duty to pay. Hence the lower prices.

This has bitten us as a 7d we bought broke. Took it to canon who refused to even touch it and sent it back with a letter saying it was counterfeit. Had to pay for a 3rd party to fix it.

We now but from Buy Digital SLR camera - Lenses - Used DSLR Digital Cameras - Digital Camera Shop
Genuine uk stock, extended warranty and cheap to boot.
Old February 26th, 2014, 07:57 PM   #11
Major Player

Danny, I'm well aware of the grey imports - its a risk I and many others are happy to take.

Digitalrev have their own seller warranty of 12 months.
Clive McLaughlin is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques