Lapel camera for time lapse? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old March 2nd, 2014, 09:54 PM   #1
Trustee

Lapel camera for time lapse?

A company has released a camera (5 megapixel) you wear that automatically and silently takes a picture every 30 seconds. They market it as a sort of 'photographic memory' thing, and a computer auto sorts the resulting images for a timeline - though you can go through them all, too.

While it seems awful for everyday (which they intend it for), I wonder if it would be cool for weddings, on the groom (and bride if I could figure out where to hide it)?

It's $280 a piece, with a 30 day money back deal. I'm tempted to see if one of our weddings wants to try it out.

Shop | Narrative - automatic lifelogging camera
Robert Benda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2014, 12:16 AM   #2
Trustee

Re: Lapel camera for time lapse?

My first thought is, "How well does it cut with other cameras?". But if it cuts okay, there's plenty of places you could stick an instant timelapse device.

-- People moving around in the bride's make-up room
-- Guests arriving at ceremony
-- Guests arriving at reception
-- Guests collecting food from buffet table
-- Stop motion device for accessory shots / playing with details at reception

Etc.

Whether it's useful as a wearable device... I can't immediately think of a use, but seems pretty interesting. Reminds me of the YouTube video where someone hid a GoPro in their bouquet all day.
Adrian Tan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2014, 07:15 AM   #3
Major Player

.....when they go to the toilet several times during the day...I don't think you'll get many takers but it could be interesting in a static situation.
Chris Hewitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2014, 07:43 AM   #4
Trustee

Ha, hadn't thought that far ahead, though I was mostly thinking for the ceremony itself, so we should be able to avoid that kind of stuff. Same with staying out of the changing room.

Could just as easily stick it someplace like the front of the church and see everyone arriving, then tag it on the groom and the bride 5 minutes before the cermony until after the receiving line.

Here is NPR's take on it, with some photos in there from a user for the day.
Cool Or Creepy? A Clip-On Camera Can Capture Every Moment : All Tech Considered : NPR
Robert Benda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2014, 08:13 PM   #5
Inner Circle

I really thought that the GoPro in the bouquet was interesting too! That one was in a bridesmaid's bouquet and got some great angles that would have been impossible to get otherwise.

I wouldn't be too sure about the ceremony as brides would want to see it in full and there is also plenty of static times at ceremonies so the footage might be less interesting? Bridal Prep would be a much more fun place to have it and it would accentuate the hustle and bustle of the girls getting ready so for me that would be a lot more sensible rather than a ceremony.

Chris
Chris Harding is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques