This tickled me :) at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old April 9th, 2014, 01:40 AM   #1
Inner Circle

This tickled me :)

Peter Rush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2014, 02:04 AM   #2
Major Player

Re: This tickled me :)

No camera on the bride & groom, what a shame that we don't see their reactions.

Last edited by George Kilroy; April 9th, 2014 at 07:46 AM.
George Kilroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2014, 02:17 AM   #3
Regular Crew

LOL... Awesome ! Shame about the camera work though.
Steve Elgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2014, 05:30 AM   #4
Inner Circle

I love this piece of music and THIS is fantastic. EXCEPT, well you know what I'm going to say...I had to stop watching because the camerawork was making my dizzy. I hope this was just a friend of someone doing some video as a favor to someone and not a "professional" because if it is a "professional" he or she should QUIT!

I wish ALL officiants were as cool as this guy and besides, he had a pretty good voice!
Old April 9th, 2014, 05:57 AM   #5
Inner Circle

Wish I had priests like that! Really makes a wedding special! The congregation almost got to pop concert applause status!!

Great camera work too ..wish I could wobble and shake like that but the crowning shot was the delicate pan back to the people ..whew ..I'm still dizzy ...the couple of course will LOVE it ...that content alone makes the camera work a non issue!

Impressive and that's what one would class as "gold"

Chris
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2014, 06:41 AM   #6
Major Player

yeah heard this on the radio this morning, Fr. Ray Kelly the parish priest of Oldcastle, County Meath he spent several years as a Civil Servant before becoming a priest! You can sort of tell that he has done some 'living'
According to the interview on the radio the locals all know about him bursting into song during a wedding, but this couple were not from the locality and apparently when they were discussing readings and music etc. he said to them 'I might sing a bit of a song myself' which they thought was a joke.

The vid was a bit of a roller-coaster ok, but the content is a keeper

:)
Old April 9th, 2014, 03:46 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Yes the camera work is a little "wobbly" but probably can't fault the video guy for not getting their reactions. Catholic Church = no cameras on the altar including the sides. I've been in that nightmare enough times. It sucks because you miss all the faces they make.
Mike Hammond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2014, 05:19 PM   #8
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Hammond View Post
Yes the camera work is a little "wobbly" but probably can't fault the video guy for not getting their reactions. Catholic Church = no cameras on the altar including the sides. I've been in that nightmare enough times. It sucks because you miss all the faces they make.
Actually that's not 100% true. Depending on the priest, I've had unmanned cameras on the altars probably about 25 to 30% of the weddings I've done and most of that happening during the last 10 years or so. Some of it due to a younger generation of priest that realize the wedding is just as much a "show" as a religious experience and some of it due to the fact that if you work with the same people over and over again, they start to trust you to not make a idiot of yourself and disturb the ceremony so I got to put a camera up front, off to one side.
I never argued with "the man" and if he said 'no' then that was it but more and more they were saying OK. Too bad this one didn't have a front camera but more so too bad the person who shot this had no clue as to what they were doing.
Oh well, it's pretty cool anyway.
Old April 9th, 2014, 06:25 PM   #9
Inner Circle

Probably 95% true though Don. Some of our Catholic priests here won't even allow you in the aisle! never mind stepping one toe into the "sacred area" ..Then you get the guy we had last Saturday who said to me "Stand or move anywhere you want to" We even were allowed behind the altar which is normally a big taboo to film the Unity cabdle ceremony !

It all depends on the priest here not the Church ...a different priest in the same Church will have different rules!

Chris
Old April 9th, 2014, 09:17 PM   #10
Major Player

Awful video.. hope the couple didn't pay for this..
Old April 10th, 2014, 07:25 AM   #11
Inner Circle

Hi Kren

It not awful at all ..the footage is absolute gold from the brides point of view and it's a never to be repeated sequence and she will cherish it dearly. From a videographer's point of view yep, it's wobbly and a bit rough around the edges BUT the content is absolutely priceless and that's all she cares about.

For clips like this technical ability comes a very poor second to content whether we like it or not. I think we often get so wrapped up in trying to produce technical perfection, highest resolution and pristine footage that we tend to forget that we are supposed to be capturing content the bride wants to see. Perfect footage of this event taken professionally from way back in the aisle might be technically superior but guess which clip the bride would choose?

Chris
Old April 10th, 2014, 07:59 AM   #12
Major Player

Is the videographer presenting himself as professional anyway? I couldn't see anyone claiming the credit but I may have missed it.

If they are, bet they will always aim to hook up to the venue deck in future :- )

I think its a case in point where "professional" coverage may well have been very sterile and totally missed the vibe of being there.

In my area the Thames Valley west of London the Catholic clergy are almost without exception very easy going. Unlike the civil registrar I had last Friday who was so incredibly rude and offensive that I think there may have been something medical going on :- (

I may have posted this link to a lovely old boy before:
http://www.ashtonlamont.co.uk/videos...h-cameras.html

Pete
Peter Riding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2014, 08:43 AM   #13
Inner Circle

Don't get me started on registrars!!!
Peter Rush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2014, 09:03 AM   #14
Major Player

Looking at the clip from a technical point of view I get the impression there are two cameramen and no fixed safety shot.
Two camera men not working together, with no clear remit, which means the edit would have been almost impossible to do.
Both cameramen seem to be filming as if they are on their own, at 2min 10s I can see one cameraman using a mono pod . I think that was why there is so much wobble.
I would bet that the whole wedding video is similar in style.
However, the clip is great and I'm sure they loved it as a friend had already posted this clip on Facebook stating how wonderful she thought it was, as Chris said " content is priceless"
Old April 10th, 2014, 09:30 AM   #15
Trustee

Yeah, we learned early on that if you don't touch your camera if your other operator is already moving his.

For those who use GoPros, have you been able to hide them behind the altar (with permission)? That or above the B&G's head table for their POV at the reception are the only reasons I think I'd want one.

The video is a lot of fun, and that is, in the end, the most important thing. I wonder if the B&G knew it was going to happen.
Robert Benda is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques