Blu Ray Authoring + OSX 10.9 Mavericks at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old April 12th, 2014, 05:52 PM   #1
New Boot

Blu Ray Authoring + OSX 10.9 Mavericks

I posted this in the Blu-Ray forum but it's been 2 weeks almost with no reply. I have clients asking for blu-ray copies of their videos and for the life of me can't figure it out!

"Please insert recordable disc" is the theme of this problem.

I bought a Samsung SE-506BB blu-ray burner that just doesn't want to write blu-rays for me. I've tried Verbatim BD-R's and Maxell BD-R's with no luck. I use Adobe Encore CS6 to build everything and when I put in the disc before burning, it pops out and reads "Please insert recordable disc". I've tried every disc in the spindle thinking that maybe a few were duds. Nope.

I also have tried building a disk image (iso file) first and still no go. I've purchased Roxio Toast 11 and the Blu-Ray plugin, same thing, "Please insert recordable disc".

I'm regretting upgrading my OS to Mavericks. I think this is the problem but I wanted to know if anyone has seen this before or has the same model burner and is successfully making blu-rays.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you!

Julian
Julian Hall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2014, 07:00 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: Blu Ray Authoring + OSX 10.9 Mavericks

Hi Julian

Certainly sounds like a bad burner to me. The firmware in the burner or it's drivers would handle the error system not your software so the fault seems like it's in the drive itself.

Now this might sound like a stupid question but being a new drive and the fact that you have never created any disks yet are you sure that it didn't ship with any protective packing inside the disk slot or some sort of shipping bracket either which need to be removed before use. The drive will not read any disks so the problem is in the drive....check carefully for packing left inside first though??

Chris
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2014, 11:21 PM   #3
Regular Crew

I have found the Adobe forums to be a GREAT way to get things figured out quickly. Here's the link to Encore's forum. It might be your burner, it might be a Mavericks issue. I don't know, but we use Encore CS6 to burn blurays all the time using a basic burner from MacSales.com Works great. Good luck!

Adobe Community: Forum: Encore
James Hobert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2014, 12:06 AM   #4
Major Player

I have been told by many that use Macs that there are few BluRay burners that are compatible with Macs. The Pioneer and the LG ones seem to be the best ones. I have 4 of the the external LG model BE14 ones using USB and I never got a disc that did not burn properly. The LG's seem to have no issues whatsoever. They also make the internal SATA ones for less money. I use Toast 11 with BR plugin.
Arthur Gannis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2014, 07:44 AM   #5
Regular Crew

I use an LG internal burner on my Mac Pro. I have no problems burning BluRay disks in Toast or using Final Cut X. I have done both ways, share and Compressor. I would suspect the issue is in your software not recognizing your burner.
Harry Christensen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2014, 10:06 AM   #6
New Boot

Thank you for all of your comments! I'll take the drive back and see if another brand will work.

Chris, thanks for your suggestions about the packaging. I should have mentioned that I've been able to burn DVD-R's and it has been able to read DVD's, just no luck with the blu-rays!
Old May 12th, 2014, 12:51 PM   #7
New Boot

Just wanted to follow up and let all of you who offered your helpful comments that you were correct and that the drive was a lemon. I bought a Pioneer model and it worked right out of box.

Thank you again for taking the time to write and all the best for a successful wedding season!
Old May 12th, 2014, 03:13 PM   #8
Major Player

You are welcome.
Pioneer drives always seemed to work without a hitch for Macs. I always had trouble with other brands in burning discs and for some reason Pioneer seems to work well. I have the LG BluRay as they also are Mac friendly and the reason I got the LG BE15's is that they support the M Disc ( millenia disc) for archival longevity.
Arthur Gannis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2014, 02:32 PM   #9
Inner Circle

Pioneer are my favorites for PC. I've used Sony with some luck. Never cared for LG. Never an issue with a Pioneer, knock on wood.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques