Average price of video at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old May 22nd, 2014, 05:46 PM   #1
Major Player

Average price of video

Here's a new blog post up that goes over the cost of a wedding. Video is surprisingly higher on the list than I expected.

What A Wedding Costs (When You Use Professionals) | Every Last Detail

Video came in at $3800.
Daniel Latimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2014, 07:05 PM   #2
Trustee

Re: Average price of video

complete malarky. Taking a look at CostofWedding.com looks a LOT more accurate. This person seems to have only surveyed high-end vendors, which is how they ended up at the ridiculous $50,000 average, when reality puts it much closer to $20,000 (or less). And of course, that doesn't count weddings that don't hire all these vendors.
Robert Benda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2014, 07:38 PM   #3
Inner Circle

I think I agree too... All a survey needs to do is take a couple of super high end Hollywood vendors and the complete survey average is pointless. I could also do a survey of the price of cars and toss in a Ferrari and Lamborgini along with two family sedans and the average price of a car is $100K They obviously took a very small local sample of prices and figured they were the norm!

Our median wedding price over here is also around $25K and certainly not double that. Based on what the general video price is from people posting here $3800 is certainly not average although I'm sure it would be nice!

Chris
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2014, 09:45 PM   #4
New Boot

In the Toronto market, I would estimate that wedding videography averages somewhere between $4000-$5000 CAD for a mid-price package.

John Summerfield
Summerfield Films | Toronto Wedding Videography
John Summerfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2014, 10:58 PM   #5
Inner Circle

Hi John

If you do a search of "wedding video prices Toronto" you get from just over $900 up to $2300 for a full day package ... I'm quite sure the high end people would be charging $4K to $5K but that wouldn't be the average price. The "survey" didn't specify what regions were involved and also whether it was based on a groom prep right thru to the end of the night but one would also assume that an average wedding video would be maybe just bridal prep thru to the first dance which is what most videographers and brides want.

If your average is indeed $4K plus I think I will move to Canada!! ( I have a son in Montreal and he is renewing his vows and having a full wedding in August and he is paying nowhere near that)

That's excellent money for just an average shoot. I see your wedding films which look fairly high end are a lot lower than your mid-range average so, based on that, one could charge substantially more for a higher end wedding then?

Chris
Old May 23rd, 2014, 12:25 AM   #6
Major Player

Here is part of the reason the amounts seem to be a little skewed:

"Before we talk data and numbers though, it’s important you know something: the weddings I talk about here on ELD don’t encompass all weddings… they are a certain type of wedding. (Yes, there are types of weddings!) These weddings that I speak of are weddings that use professionals."

I also think another part of the skewing is they are not disclosing a percentage of respondents that had no video at all. If you look, the average photog price is less than the video guy. We all know that's an every day occurrence !!! [/sarcasm]

So I think they have a far higher percentage of respondents who bought photogs and bought in all price ranges making that average believable, compared to the number who bought video and what level they bought.
Chip Thome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2014, 12:41 AM   #7
Trustee

Sod it I am off to Canada !!!
Steve Bleasdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2014, 12:59 AM   #8
Inner Circle

Hey Steve

A while back John Knight was saying he makes around $300K plus a year in New Zealand so double sod it..I'm off to New Zealand!! A lot easier to go there and work instead of Canada. Also bear in mind that the Canadian Winters talk about 36 degrees below zero ... not sure I could take that and their wedding season would also be a little shorter than ours!

When John posted his income I recall a guy in Canada say "I'm off to New Zealand" ... There seems to be a huge market for Japanese couples that want a New Zealand wedding.

Chris
Old May 23rd, 2014, 01:19 AM   #9
Inner Circle

Chip?

Averages just are not practical.
If you take 10 guys that charge $1500 and then one guy that charges $15K the average jumps from $1500 to $2700 ... subsequently take the 10 at $1500 and then add 10 weekend warriors who do it for $300 a pop then the average plummets to $900 a wedding so brides are now shattered that they have to pay 3 times more than the first survey.

To be totally practical a survey needs to have upper and lower limits to give a correct figure which excludes the high end $20K shooters and all the Craig's List weekend pocket money dudes who will shoot your wedding for $99.00

Chris
Old May 23rd, 2014, 01:51 AM   #10
Inner Circle

My son's thinking of moving from Queeensland to Canada (Totonto) - might get him to look for some bookings for when I go to visit :)
Peter Rush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2014, 05:19 AM   #11
Trustee

Every region is different. I live in a town of 80,000 total. Here are our actual stats, based on a survey of brides:

total wedding budget
49% spend less than $10,000
23% spend between $10,000 and $20,000
15% spend between $20,000 and $30,000
13% spend $30,000+

Videography
30-40% hire a videographer

Average cost
$700-$1200

average cost for a "well-experienced professional"
$1388-$1850+
Robert Benda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2014, 10:38 AM   #12
Major Player

Just to show what parts of the market expect in the UK.
Although I no longer do weddings I still get enquiries which I pass on . This is part of one I received today:

"We have already booked our Photographer for £1000 so we were really looking for just a videographer closer to £500."
George Kilroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2014, 05:20 PM   #13
Inner Circle

Hey George

Yeah we are always second never first and they usually seem to have to scrape together just enough to be able to pay us half what the photog gets!

Based on all the prices tossed around here I guess we are still all going to move to Toronto and make big bucks? There certainly has been a huge variation!

Chris
Old May 24th, 2014, 04:42 AM   #14
Major Player

Chris,

The video number is skewed and my guess it is skewed high because the sample is small and from a disproportionate group. The photog average, my guess is that might be close, and probably has close to 80+% responding in the sample. If they had an overall average of $50K, there had to be quite a few high end weddings in the sample to get the average up that high. Those high end weddings, also probably had video and had high end video packages. So if you have 100 respondents and 85 have a photog, that's probably going to be a close average. If you have 100 respondents and only 15 have video, depending on the overall price point of those 15 weddings, it is going to skew the average higher as the pricier package probably was selected.

It's a poor survey at best, most likely a tiny sample size and no average was weighted to adjust it proportionately. If one could get ahold of the raw data, there's something in there to pursue, if one could figure out how to connect with those high end weddings.
Chip Thome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2014, 10:51 AM   #15
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Harding View Post
Averages just are not practical.
If you take 10 guys that charge $1500 and then one guy that charges $15K the average jumps from $1500 to $2700 ... subsequently take the 10 at $1500 and then add 10 weekend warriors who do it for $300 a pop then the average plummets to $900 a wedding so brides are now shattered that they have to pay 3 times more than the first survey.
Right. That article is what you get when you have a statistical analysis posted by someone who slept through the single statistics they took.

You don't need an average, you need a median.
Chris DeVoe is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques