Another clergy rant BUT... at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old May 24th, 2014, 04:34 PM   #1
Trustee

Another clergy rant BUT...

Well i turned up today, Early as usual!
Vicars assistants? Cant go there? Cant do this? Dont go there? We dont do that here?
Oh i will wait for the vicar i said, see what she says?
Vicar arrives!
Hi i say! Can i.....
Well you cannot come into this church the bride does not want any photos in the church! She has told me at the rehearsal?
Yes but i am the videographer she booked i say!!
No, you still cannot come in, she does not want photos!!!! you cannot come in!!
So my tail is up!! No i am the videographer! Whats that she says??
Ok no problem, well when the bride comes, i will tell her you did not let me into the church to film her wedding..
The bride has paid me to make her wedding film so i will tell her you said i could not come in!!
Stalemate!! It usually works what i just said!! But not this time..
Groom is late!
Now its getting late the bride is turning up to get married in 5 minutes, no slides done, nothing, i am screwed... The groom turns up!! Derek i say, in front of her, we have a big problem, the vicar will not let us in the church, NO!! WE SAID NO GUESTS CAN TAKE VIDEO OR PHOTOS IN CHURCH, AS WE DO NOT WANT THEM GOING ON FACEBOOK EARLY, LIKE WE DISCUSSED AT REHEARSAL!! Nothing to do with our professional video and photog guys we have booked..
WELL THE VICARS FACE WHEN HE SAID THAT, MADE MY DAY.!! I AM STILL SMILING....
Seeing her face when he told her straight, that i was filming her day and the photographer was taking pictures of the day will stay with me forever. I am sure the clergy need lessons from??? to carry out modern day wedding ceremonies..
Then after the wedding the poor photog had to be demeaned to a assistant as the vicar took over? Right we usually have the bridesmaids here, we have the bride there, lets do this, lets do that!! Jeeeez!! It all turned out to be a nightmare day!!! And to top it all off, it poured it down with the heaviest rain ever.....
Ah well? All in a days work as a wedding visuals guy!!!!
Steve Bleasdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2014, 01:13 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: Another clergy rant BUT...

Poured down for me too yesterday - a thoroughly miserable wedding, no activities to film, people just milling around in the bar feeling damp, not one person danced after the first dance - not my best :(

Steve how did you manage to set up in time for the ceremony with only 5 minutes to go - I would have been freaking out with panic about that situation.

Pete

Last edited by Peter Rush; May 25th, 2014 at 01:46 AM.
Peter Rush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2014, 01:37 AM   #3
Major Player

Nice :- )

But I'm sure you could have done without the loss of setup time whilst all this was being resolved.

Here's a photo of how priests with a proper understanding of the importance of weddings conduct themselves:

http://www.ashtonlamont.co.uk/images...93-03_ssjc.jpg

Yes that is the priest taking photos for himself on his camera phone during the ceremony. And the problem is ... ?????

Please feel free to use this photo in your negotiations with these narrow-minded idiots, copyright released by me.

If you really want to wind up a Cof E clergyman you could point out that this priest is clearly from a religion with 1 billion followers that pre-dates Christianity and from a country to which Jesus travelled to learn his philosophy before going to the middle east as a messiah. That should really go down well :- ) But it does illustrate that all this solemnity is a construction of the CofE. Maybe remind them that Oliver Cromwell is not in charge any more :- )

I've posted this clip before but here it is again. This time a much more open-minded Catholic priest:

Again feel free to download it if you think it may be useful.

Pete

p.s. the reference to Oliver Cromwell is in relation to his infamous action of cancelling Christmas. Yes he really did do that because he believed it was not solemn enough!
Peter Riding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2014, 01:49 AM   #4
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Rush View Post
Poured down for me too yesterday - a thoroughly miserable wedding, no activities to film, people just milling around in the bar feeling damp, not one person danced after the first dance - not my best :(

Steve how did you manage to set up in time for the ceremony with on 5 minutes to go - I would have been freaking out with panic about that situation.

Pete
Same here Peter! It was a miserable day also, I managed to have the slider ready and just did a slow slide of the isle then left it at that, I managed to use my 70-200 close on a few flowers during the boring ceremony!, I missed loads of footage! Outside there was bits and bobs so did that also to make a decent story! I missed the car turning up with bridesmaids as I was rushing getting guest footage, ran out and got the driver to back up and drive to me and I closed in! I Quickly got some decent footage of the bridesmaids then the bride turned up and it was lashing it down. I got a lady to hold a golf brolly over me I always bring in case! The whole day was terrible, my worst in probably 8 years!!
Again like you people where miserable, wet and boring! Steve
Old May 25th, 2014, 01:51 AM   #5
Inner Circle

I do find it's the CofE priests who are the most strict - Catholic priests tend to be a bit more relaxed and Methodists are usually more than helpful - I find Methodists/Wesleyans tend to see the ceremony more of a celebration and therefore are happy to have it recorded than the more solemn protestants.

IMO

Pete
Old May 25th, 2014, 01:57 AM   #6
Trustee

[QUOTE=Peter Riding;1846482]Nice :- )

But I'm sure you could have done without the loss of setup time whilst all this was being resolved.

Here's a photo of how priests with a proper understanding of the importance of weddings conduct themselves:

http://www.ashtonlamont.co.uk/images...93-03_ssjc.jpg

Yes that is the priest taking photos for himself on his camera phone during the ceremony. And the problem is ... ?????

Please feel free to use this photo in your negotiations with these narrow-minded idiots, copyright released by me.

If you really want to wind up a Cof E clergyman you could point out that this priest is clearly from a religion with 1 billion followers that pre-dates Christianity and from a country to which Jesus travelled to learn his philosophy before going to the middle east as a messiah. That should really go down well :- ) But it does illustrate that all this solemnity is a construction of the CofE. Maybe remind them that Oliver Cromwell is not in charge any more :- )

I've posted this clip before but here it is again. This time a much more open-minded Catholic priest
Nice one peter!!!
Old May 25th, 2014, 04:53 AM   #7
Trustee

Oh you are in the wars this year Steve!

I felt sorry for all image pros working outside yesterday in the North of England. Fortunately I was editing in a nice warm office :)
Old May 25th, 2014, 05:52 AM   #8
Inner Circle

Hey Pete

Guess what? We had exactly the same as you ..pouring rain and the photog gave up shooting outdoors and the couple didn't want a video shoot even in the drizzle as the wind was nasty. Sunny Australia? However we are actually in Winter and I still have another 4 more to try and shoot at this time of the year before I get a break!

Funnily enough our bride and groom did the first dance, the bridal party (only 4) joined in the 2nd song and then the dance floor was empty and stayed empty but luckily it was also the end of my session too!

It's supposed to be Summer in the UK isn't it? In Summer here you hope for a few whispy clouds to cut the glare but that doesn't happen often. This was my first rained out wedding since last August!!

Chris
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2014, 07:27 AM   #9
Inner Circle

I don't know what is was yesterday but It must be more than just the rain - actually the couple were game and came up to me and the photog and asked us if we wanted them to do anything! - pouring down outside though and the venue was small and lacked anywhere half descent to provide a location to film anything worthwhile. Managed just 2 outside shots of the church before the deluge started and no exteriors of the reception venue - ah well some you win - some you loose. I've certainly got enough to produce a film the couple will like but not my finest hour :(

Pete
Old May 25th, 2014, 08:47 AM   #10
Inner Circle

Hi Pete

Move on to the next wedding! Nothing you could do (same as me!) It bucketed down as the bride arrived!

(BTW : I uploaded some EA-50 comparison images on the Sony Forum for you using PP3)

Chris
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2014, 09:18 AM   #11
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Rush View Post
I do find it's the CofE priests who are the most strict - Catholic priests tend to be a bit more relaxed and Methodists are usually more than helpful - I find Methodists/Wesleyans tend to see the ceremony more of a celebration and therefore are happy to have it recorded than the more solemn protestants.

IMO

Pete
Spot in fir sure!!!
Old May 25th, 2014, 09:21 AM   #12
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Partington View Post
Oh you are in the wars this year Steve!

I felt sorry for all image pros working outside yesterday in the North of England. Fortunately I was editing in a nice warm office :)
Haha cheers Dave!!
Old May 25th, 2014, 01:04 PM   #13
Major Player

same here sort of!!
the priest was grand, but the weather was terrible!
As the B&G arrived, steely black clouds rolled over the countryside and it flogged down, it stopped briefly as the greeting line was getting under way but we had to move inside to conclude it.

The rain was so bad at one point on our way to the hotel i almost had to stop because the wipers couldn't keep up with the torrent. It was like that throughout the day and well into the evening.

The wedding car broke down! (old vintage car), the B&G never got any outside photographs at all and were dead late to the hotel. but they smiled through and did manage to enjoy the rest of the evening, we filmed everything, rain and all.
Old May 25th, 2014, 04:29 PM   #14
Trustee

Feel for you rob but Ireland had a buzz! Even in the rain! The cold rainy days in the north of England has no buzz believe me!!! Ha
Steve Bleasdale is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques