What do you do if it rains? - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old June 9th, 2014, 02:01 AM   #31
Inner Circle

Re: What do you do if it rains?

Saturday - Absolutely pi****d it down - I've bought a £15 Totes mini umbrella from amazon - not as unwieldy as a golfing umbrella. Just right for covering my CX730 (The EA50 is too big/heavy to hold in one hand) to film the arrivals and departures from the church - I don't mind getting wet but I do mind it when my kit gets soaked! I look a but like uncle Bob but I got the shots
Peter Rush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2014, 04:27 AM   #32
Inner Circle

Hey Pete

Wait a minute..isn't it Summer in the UK ...It's Winter here so yep my Sunday wedding was wet and most of my photoshoot ( we did photos and video) was with umbrellas and it actually looked great. I think I need a mini umbrella for my EA-50!! ... Surely some bright spark has marketed a camcorder umbrella???

Chris
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2014, 04:46 AM   #33
Inner Circle

Chris I raised that on this very forum I think last year but general comments were about wind and instability - however I think having both hands on a camera with a mini hot shoe umbrella, would beat the 'camera in one hand and umbrella in the other' approach

Someone should produce and market one like this

http://www.toxel.com/wp-content/uplo...umbrella12.jpg

Actually I've just seen this with a handgrip!

http://petapixel.com/assets/uploads/...lyumbrella.jpg

Pete
Old June 9th, 2014, 05:03 AM   #34
Inner Circle

That one with the handgrip seems cool as it allows you to operate the camera while staying dry.
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2014, 05:13 AM   #35
Inner Circle

Yeah looks ok but the brolly itself is too big - It will be unsteady in the wind and more likely to blow inside out - I'd like one just to cover the camera - I don't mind getting wet to get the shot!
Old June 9th, 2014, 06:59 AM   #36
Inner Circle

I really would like a rectangular one!! That way it covers the camera length and width and the spokes on a round one wouldn't stick in your eye.

Sheesh ... surely a simple light aluminium frame with some plastic glued around it would work .. sort of like a tiny pitched roof (so the rain can run off) and then inside the frame a short frame with a cold shoe connector on the end and you could slip it on and off quickly ...I don't think it would need to fold ? Our cameras are not that big ....1/2" aluminium tubing made like roof trusses and clear plastic on top so you can see your camera

I think I just might have to make one!!

Chris
Chris Harding is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques