Shoulder Rig Question at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old July 9th, 2014, 04:37 AM   #1
Major Player

Shoulder Rig Question

I had never considered a shoulder rig. I always felt it would be too shaky with my style. But my recent foray into handheld shooting with IS lenses has got be re-thinking.

One question I've always had... They have two handles right? But when you need to adjust focus, your left hand (I assume) leaves the left handle and works the focus ring. Does this not make the setup a little unstable since you support of the camera is through only one handle to the right of the cameras center of gravity?

I've never used one, so if you tell me it remains rock solid, I'll take your work for it, but my logic and understanding of physics makes me question this...

Also - any suggestions for good rigs?
Clive McLaughlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9th, 2014, 05:09 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: Shoulder Rig Question

Hi Clive

Unless you are running full auto I agree with you that the handles underneath are pointless. The first rig I made for my Panny AC-130's had two handles and you have to think about your right hand too ...unless it's a long sequence handheld I find I need my right hand under the camera strap so I can stop/start etc etc( and reframe with digital zoom on my camera's rocker if I need it) so that makes the right handle useless to me.

Yes, you need to at least have your left hand free so you can focus too .. (unless you are shooting with an 8mm fisheye) so bam goes the second handle. I eventually removed both and just kept the shoulder mount only.

I think I posted previously about the ENG rig from DVTec that does the job better than both handles. My Sony's are already shoulder mount so I just use the ENG rig so all the weight is taken by the sprung rod and waist belt. Footage will look like it's on a tripod ... amazing to use and you have BOTH hands free!

Chris
Chris Harding is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques