Wedding Trailers - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old August 4th, 2014, 04:36 AM   #16
Inner Circle

Re: Wedding Trailers

I recently worked together with a photog who just had one package at one price, he then would start during brideprep and end one hour after the first dance. He wasn't cheap but in this way he did guarantee a max profit every single weekend.
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2014, 05:24 AM   #17
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrian Tan View Post
One thing I'm curious about -- is there any real difference between a "15 minute highlights" and a "short form" video?
Probably not, but it's nice for us to be clear. Same thing with the trailer - we're all just trying to be clear about what we're talking about, I guess.

Noa, I used to be similar to your photog friend. Before we offered videography, and it was just me as the MC/DJ, I simply had one price: hire me, or don't. Very easy. Now? *sigh* not so much.

We have been assuming everyone wants the full length and the 15 minute highlight, but now I've learned to ask, just in case it will mean less work :)
Robert Benda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2014, 05:52 AM   #18
Inner Circle

Hi Robert

If you include the high light video in the package and charge extra ..yes it does mean extra editing but it also means you are making more from a wedding and being a one off event that's limited in quantity during the season (only so many days per season that most brides will choose!) wouldn't we rather make as much as possible from each wedding.

If you do a DJ job for say, just two hours you still have to load your gear, set it up, break it down pack it up and probably unpack it at home .. I would say that the pack/un-pack segment would take you longer than the actual 2 hour gig so isn't it better to do a 6 hour gig to make the job more profitable ...If you can get the bride to pay the extra for the highlight you have already shot it so it's just a edit to do.

I know I should also try to get brides to include bridal prep and right to midnight to maximise each wedding but the long hours kill me!

Chris
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2014, 08:28 AM   #19
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noa Put View Post
I recently worked together with a photog who just had one package at one price, he then would start during brideprep and end one hour after the first dance. He wasn't cheap but in this way he did guarantee a max profit every single weekend.
This is how I'd like to price my packages if I turned pro/semi-pro... the way I see it, I'm a one-man team, shooting your wedding day. Every part of your day is important to me, and therefore, I want to share it with you.

I'd find editing a wedding that I missed the preps for instance difficult in the edit, or at least unsatisfying as it's an unfulfilling watch from my perspective if you've missed parts. Similar to how I feel about missing the groom prep, even if that's just the way it is at times.

Noa, I've emailed you my first edit of my latest film to your secondary email, as usual! Hope you have the time to check it out! :)
Craig McKenna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2014, 08:31 AM   #20
Trustee

Agreed, Chris. We were pushing our all day coverage with both edits, but after filming 17 weddings like that last year, decided to back off. Too much time editing. Too many long days (I also DJ'ed 32 weddings, 9 school dances). Besides, I can make almost as much as a DJ/MC, and when the event is over, it's done, there is no post-work except a blog post, and that takes a lot less time than editing.

After having filmed a ceremony by myself, for cheap (compared to our full price), with the promise of good coverage (usual mics, and 2 or 3 cameras), but with basic editing and digital only delivery... yeah, I really like that. A lot. So much less work. (6-8 hours compared to 20-40). If I add that onto it, then I AM making as much as doing the all-day video, but still with less work.

Of course, unlike you guys, I'm not making my living with the videography. What it does is turn the video into even more of an add-on to my DJ services. To make sure we don't go too far in that direction, we'll still try to get about 6 all-day productions. That is still better, though, since my wife just hasn't shown the drive to be a good first shooter, so I am, and I just can't do it all myself all the time.
Robert Benda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2014, 01:56 PM   #21
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Harding View Post
Hi Jeff

I understand a trailer being the length of just one song but what do you include in your highlight video? I mean a little bridal prep (say 3 mins), the bridal arrival and vows (about 10 minutes) and then what? No speeches?? For a reception where you have already used up 13-15 minutes already before it starts what do you include in a few minutes??

Chris
Sorry for the confusion. I only do a trailer that is one song. I also include the long version of the wedding too. The trailer are quick shots of the event. I do include some audio maybe at the beginning of the trailer and then bring up music. I would love it if us videographers could just shoot the whole day and deliver a nice edited 15 minute video. It would be nice to cut the extra hours we put in doing the long form. However, the 15 minute highlight would still need to be edited well.
Jeff Cook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2014, 04:26 AM   #22
Regular Crew

I always include a trailer with all packages I offer. Clients sort of expect it since it's the only video that's publicly available, and since most often clients are referred by previous clients they would love it. I only include highlights from the day along with abridged vows, although each wedding is different (so I might use speeches etc. to base the trailer on).
Malcolm Debono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2014, 06:47 PM   #23
Major Player

I started mixing in the term "short form" (which is basically highlights in my lingo) to mean something that is less chronological and linear, perhaps, than just a straight highlights. The two could be interchangeable terms, I suppose, (like "fast jogging vs. slow running"), but I'm just trying to convey a more thematic approach in "short form" than just chronological.
Old August 12th, 2014, 12:04 PM   #24
Regular Crew

I do! I edit it just like an actual movie trailer. I also try my best to follow MPAA guidelines. Have it edited a week after the wedding. It's a great way to build anticipation for the newlyweds and their family and friends to see the wedding. Here is one that I put together last year. They loved it! Disneys Grand Floridian Resort Wedding Trailer Video

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques