Delivery by hard drive? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old August 7th, 2014, 07:32 AM   #1
Trustee

Delivery by hard drive?

I've started to move into photos, and I've found that if you convert a couple hundred photos at maximum quality, into print-optimised as well as web-optimised formats, and maybe supply hundreds of batch-edited "raw footage" photos as well, you can hit 30gb+ without blinking an eye.

USBs are still an option; I know that they can come in flavours at least up to 64gb last I looked. And dual-layer BluRay is possibly an option, though I'm having problems formatting them on my PC to be compatible with Mac.

But I'm starting to think -- why not just supply everything, photos and video, on a hard drive? You can fit everything more comfortably than on USB, and there shouldn't be compatibility issues in exFAT.

Raises two questions. Which hard drive? Ideally something elegant. And how to package it?

Any thoughts?

Check out Lacie's $500 1tb drive: https://www.lacie.com/products/product.htm?id=10619 .
Adrian Tan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7th, 2014, 07:40 AM   #2
Major Player

Re: Delivery by hard drive?

What is this sorcery??? Where is the camera in the reflection??

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dLfPKrhwCCM#t=35
Clive McLaughlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7th, 2014, 08:42 AM   #3
New Boot

Quote:
What is this sorcery??? Where is the camera in the reflection??
I believe that is a 3D render of the product, and not actual footage.
Scott James Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7th, 2014, 09:24 AM   #4
Trustee

32 GB USB drives can be $20 or less these days, so I'd say that's the best option compared to $50+ for a hard drive.
Robert Benda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7th, 2014, 01:29 PM   #5
Major Player

I prefer USB 3.0 portable hard drive, just because it's less likely to be lost and easier to keep track of.

I buy a bunch of them when they are on sale around Christmas time for $30/500GB on the amazon lightening deals.
Old August 7th, 2014, 08:13 PM   #6
Inner Circle

I think as long as you get a self powered USB drive it's neat and cost effective. You don't want to give the bride a drive with a power supply and cables ..it must be neat and compact. Why not print a 6"x4" still and glue it to the top of the drive ..then you have a custom drive for the bride! Easier to find on the bookshelf too.
Chris Harding is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques