squarespace/video at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old September 1st, 2014, 06:22 PM   #1
Regular Crew

squarespace/video

Hi there.

I doing some research on the best way to build me a website, and EVERYBODY seems to be going on about squarespace...does anybody here use it and wants to share how you feel about it?
what plan you chosse? if you host vis on the site or embedded from vimeo? anything will help. thanks.
Old September 1st, 2014, 08:18 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: squarespace/video

It appears to me that much of the hype for squarespace is generated by the company itself. Many of the review sites that go on and on about it are obviously planted by squarespace. The company is a master of marketing, for sure.

It may be a very good solution, but it's obviously much more limited in features the WP.

I too am interested in hearing what those with experience have to say.
Old September 2nd, 2014, 10:41 AM   #3
Major Player

I'm also looking to build a website. I have a Computer Science degree, but I am more interested in buying into a pre-built template, as keeping up with the range of browsers and having everything displayed perfectly, whilst also functioning perfectly, can become a pain fast.

Therefore, I've been looking into purchasing a website from SmugMug... I think their templates look professional and provide us with the opportunity to sell our films through the website, as well as streaming in 1080p with perfect design for both mobile and PC.

But I'm by no means a genius when it comes to websites, I finished my degree seven years ago and haven't looked back since. So I'm all ears to learning as much as possible about recommendations.
Craig McKenna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2014, 02:46 PM   #4
New Boot

I can highly recommend squarespace - I built mine through them last year - simple interface, stylish templates, easy to change, cost effective - I'm very happy with them so far.

Cinematic Wedding Videographer
Alan Kelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2014, 04:57 PM   #5
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Kelly View Post
I can highly recommend squarespace - I built mine through them last year - simple interface, stylish templates, easy to change, cost effective - I'm very happy with them so far.

Nice site. I enjoyed watching The Story of Kate and Oliver too - nice work.

I quite like the look of the site, as well as the animations, but I think I still prefer the look of Smug Mug, personally.
Craig McKenna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2014, 07:58 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Kelly View Post

Hi Alan.

I am glad to hear you like it.I tried to open your website but it took a long time..maybe it was my internet connection..anyways..it seemed very slow and info page looks empty...maybe just my internet.

What packages you got? you host on vimeo plus? do you like the site? any problems?

I might go that way too..trying to decide..
thanks a lot for sharing.
Old September 2nd, 2014, 08:17 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig McKenna View Post
I'm also looking to build a website. I have a Computer Science degree, but I am more interested in buying into a pre-built template, as keeping up with the range of browsers and having everything displayed perfectly, whilst also functioning perfectly, can become a pain fast.

Therefore, I've been looking into purchasing a website from SmugMug... I think their templates look professional and provide us with the opportunity to sell our films through the website, as well as streaming in 1080p with perfect design for both mobile and PC.

But I'm by no means a genius when it comes to websites, I finished my degree seven years ago and haven't looked back since. So I'm all ears to learning as much as possible about recommendations.
Hi Craig.

I need a website too..i will take a look at smugmug. thanks.

something i didn't understand is..you said you don't want pre-build templates...isn't smugmug a pre-build template too? i try to check the price packages but it was confusing..i will look for a review comparison around the web. Do you know what plan you want and why? thanks.
Old September 3rd, 2014, 01:19 PM   #8
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osmany Tellez View Post
Hi Alan.

I am glad to hear you like it.I tried to open your website but it took a long time..maybe it was my internet connection..anyways..it seemed very slow and info page looks empty...maybe just my internet.
Hi Osmany,

I think that's just your Internet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osmany Tellez View Post
Hi Craig.

I need a website too..i will take a look at smugmug. thanks.

something i didn't understand is..you said you don't want pre-build templates...isn't smugmug a pre-build template too? i try to check the price packages but it was confusing..i will look for a review comparison around the web. Do you know what plan you want and why? thanks.
No, I think if you re-read my post you will see that I am going to 'build a website' but that I'm more interested in buying a template because it reduces time wasted by testing different browsers etc. It's pointless doing the code. I once built a website for my brother, complete with CSS and it was such a long-winded affair and then when you try to build in server side scripts etc. you begin to realise that it's not really something that you're willing to upkeep... I told my brother after coding for ten hours that he's more than likely to get a better looking website by buying a template.

The reason I wanted to buy into SmugMug is simple really. You're able to customise your video player (according to Rob Adams - similar to Vimeo Pro) and you're also able to use a range of attractive templates that display just as vibrantly and as vividly on a PC, as they do within a mobile browser.

I've considered the Portfolio and business offers, mainly as you can sell digital downloads... but I need to complete a business model before I decide whether that's advantageous or damaging for business.

So, potentially, Power may be adequate, allowing for full customisation and then signing clients up through a separate program, such as Tave.

Honestly though, I wouldn't take my advice. I'm a complete novice. I'm hoping for others to step in and share their experiences!
Craig McKenna is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques