Explaining your reasons to a bride? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old September 11th, 2014, 12:36 AM   #1
Major Player

Explaining your reasons to a bride?

It happens occasionally. A bride finds the idea of paying before receiving her discs to be absurd.

Do I just say 'Thats how it is - standard practice!' and leave it at that.

Or do I explain that the content of the DVD is down to my editorial decisions and that's what I've been hired for. That delaying payment may lead to difficulties if clients don't like 'how i did it'. ??

To me the second one might actually send alarm bells for some ladies who like to have full control...

It may appear like I'm covering my ass rather than inspiring confidence in what I do...

Thoughts?
Clive McLaughlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2014, 12:50 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: Explaining your reasons to a bride?

You could tell them that you had several issues in the past with first delivering to the client but that they didn't pay you at all because they where broke. You can say that as a small business you can't afford going to court each time loosing lot's of time and money which eventually could mean you could go bankrupt. So you could say that you had no other option then to make everyone pay before delivery.
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2014, 01:41 AM   #3
Trustee

I would simply apologise and say no chance. Why? well because last year a bride divorced her husband 2 months after getting married and then they decided they didn't want the video or any memory of the event any more. And I was stuffed. I can't take such risks.

Nothing worse than carrying out months of editing as well having worked on the wedding days prior to receiving any payment.

You can always do a 3 part payment plan like I do ... deposit / payment prior to wedding and then a final sum when discs are ready for delivery.
James Manford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2014, 01:44 AM   #4
Inner Circle

Clive?

Your terms and conditions are fixed and your decision. There are plenty of services where you pay up front!!

I simply ask for 1/3rd on booking, 1/3rd two weeks before the wedding and the final 1/3rd BEFORE I deliver the DVD's ..if they don't like it then tough! That's how I work and I have never been questioned about it. If I was questioned I would advise the bride to rather book someone else..if she wants to pay after she decides whether she likes it then you are asking for trouble ...she will give you a million excuses to NOT pay you.

Tell her, those are our terms and conditions and stick by them ..there are plenty more brides out there!!

You are NOT required to justify your payment schedule ..she either accepts it or she doesn't.

Chris
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2014, 02:17 AM   #5
Major Player

I'm fairly sure it's in my T&Cs which she signed.

I generally believe that if you are open and honest with people it goes a long way - this is how I've worded my draft response.

"Its fairly standard in the industry to get the full payment before the product is delivered. The reason is that clients may hold back and base their decision to pay up on whether they think their video is good or not. And whilst I believe I consistently deliver a quality product, the idea of 'good' is open to a certain amount of interpretation.

My work is important to me, as are the referrals I receive from clients. In such a small country, it doesn't do someone like me any good to deliver a poor product. For this reason I ask clients to trust my ability to deliver a good edit having paid me to do so. My Facebook page has ratings and reviews set up on it - I don't want bad reviews and so that is my motivation. Hopefully this gives you enough confidence!"

Bad idea?
Old September 11th, 2014, 03:09 AM   #6
Inner Circle

Quote:
I generally believe that if you are open and honest with people it goes a long way
No! they only won't to here it's all going to be ok, even if you know that might not be the case. If I"m open and honest I"d tell them there is a 1 out 10.000 risk I might get into an accident on the way to their wedding, or get caught up in traffic and come in late, or that I get so sick I can't come at all, or that my camera could fail while I"m shooting or...
Don't tell them anything that will cause any doubt, just say that's your service agreement, if they don't like that, they can go shop somewhere else. If they really want you they will pay upfront.
Old September 11th, 2014, 03:14 AM   #7
Major Player

I get this occasionally and I explain that the product they are purchasing from me has no resale value what so ever elsewhere. No-one is going to buy their wedding video if they default and I am left holding the baby. And so thats why I and most other wedding vendors use the terms and conditions that we do.

Pete
Peter Riding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2014, 05:30 AM   #8
Inner Circle

Typically, if someone makes a big deal about paying, that's a red flag to me. It may not be the best match for you. We are paid up front so there are no worries later. I've reserved such date for said wedding instead of a another wedding, so being paid for my services up front is as normal as the wedding day itself.

Again, if someone is making a big deal about paying you, then that's a red flag and you might want to think about it, consider a different opportunity.
Old September 11th, 2014, 06:28 AM   #9
Inner Circle

Hey Clive

Absolutely not!! You are already being open and honest ..you are telling her "Those are my payment terms" That's being open and honest. You have no reason to offer any explanation to make yourself more honest and more open.

It's a business transaction and those are your terms. End of Story! Like Steven says if she is questioning your payment terms drop her like a hot brick. She will be nothing but trouble. I bet she goes to the video store to get a movie and asks them "Can I pay for this movie only if I like it?"

Chris
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2014, 06:49 AM   #10
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clive McLaughlin View Post
It happens occasionally. A bride finds the idea of paying before receiving her discs to be absurd.

Do I just say 'Thats how it is - standard practice!' and leave it at that.

Or do I explain that the content of the DVD is down to my editorial decisions and that's what I've been hired for. That delaying payment may lead to difficulties if clients don't like 'how i did it'. ??

To me the second one might actually send alarm bells for some ladies who like to have full control...

It may appear like I'm covering my ass rather than inspiring confidence in what I do...

Thoughts?
From the rates and services page of my website:

"For weddings and similar projects, final payment is due the day of the event, just like for the other vendors."

So my check is the batch with the planners, the dj's, the baker's, the photographer's, the driver's...

No problems at all since I started doing this.
Old September 11th, 2014, 07:05 AM   #11
Major Player

Just a small update. Bride was happy enough when I told her it had to be on the day. She actually said it was only a question because apparently the photographer doesn't take final payment till she sees her photos.

Thats just dumb on his part.

Bride doesn't appear to be the trouble I feared she may be.
Old September 11th, 2014, 09:13 AM   #12
Regular Crew

Any photographer that accepts payment once the bride sees the photos is setting themselves up for the epic fail.
Old September 13th, 2014, 04:52 AM   #13
Inner Circle

I actually ask for all payment upon delivery, no deposit at all, they all do pay cash when they pick up the dvd's (they can watch their film first) or when they can't come they first pay me through banktransfer and once I see the money on my account I send everything.
Been doing this the past 5 year or so and never had a couple that didn't want to pay.
Old September 13th, 2014, 05:37 AM   #14
Inner Circle

Years ago, I had a couple that disappeared on me, after the wedding never responded to me again. I spent the better part of a year waiting for them, calling and emailing them that their wedding was ready. No response. Eventually I reached out to the mom and sent her the package, but never received an explanation of where the couple was.

So Noa, you're a brave man. My advice to new folks, get paid up front, it makes things easier.
Old September 13th, 2014, 06:02 AM   #15
Inner Circle

The thing is I don't want to end up owing a lot of couples their deposit if I can't shoot their wedding, I had to forfait a wedding today because of backproblems, that's just one but because I have a history of back injuries in the worst case I could be out for a much longer time, as I usually invest a lot of money back into my company I want to make sure that once I spend it that the client has received their goods and is satisfied. I sleep better that way :).
Noa Put is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques