order of names on dvdbox at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old September 13th, 2014, 10:42 AM   #1
Inner Circle

order of names on dvdbox

The past years when I make a dvdboxprint I put a picture of the bride and groom on front and I put their names below that, I always put the brides name first and then the groom name. so like "Melissa + Jeff"
But when the photo has the groom on the left side and the bride on the right side that looks a bit silly as it looks like the grooms name is Melissa :)

It looks like a stupid question but I have had one occasion in the past where the bride requested to change the dvdboxprint and to have her name first instead of the grooms eventhough on the photo print she was on the right side.

Does anyone take the order of the names depending on how they are on the photo into consideration?
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2014, 10:44 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: order of names on dvdbox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noa Put View Post
The past years when I make a dvdboxprint I put a picture of the bride and groom on front and I put their names below that, I always put the brides name first and then the groom name. so like "Melissa + Jeff"
But when the photo has the groom on the left side and the bride on the right side that looks a bit silly as it looks like the grooms name is Melissa :)

It looks like a stupid question but I have had one occasion in the past where the bride requested to change the dvdboxprint and to have her name first instead of the grooms eventhough on the photo print she was on the right side.

Does anyone take the order of the names depending on how they are on the photo into consideration?
I usually take my cue from the wedding program.
Old September 13th, 2014, 01:32 PM   #3
Inner Circle

I always put the Brides's name first as a matter etiquette. It doesn't matter which side of the picture they are as I always put 'The Wedding of' then their names, so it doesn't appear as a caption to the picture, more of a title.

Roger
Roger Gunkel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2014, 07:31 PM   #4
Inner Circle

In the old days the man was always first. In fact letters to the woman in the mail were often addressed with the names name eg: "Mrs Fred Smith" but things have progresses and according to the jolly ole web it doesn't matter who comes first nowdays.

I keep to a very simple and easy rule. If the bride is on the left of the DVD cover photo then she comes first otherwise the groom's name is first. It does look better having the names matching the photo order but if you prefer to always have the bride first then you do need to make sure that when you pose the couple for DVD cover photos you have them the right way around.

Chris
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2014, 01:36 AM   #5
Major Player

Movie posters nearly always have the names in reverse to the picture. Have a google.

http://apnatimepass.com/ride-along-movie-poster-1.jpg
http://www.apnatimepass.com/spring-b...e-poster-1.jpg
Old September 14th, 2014, 01:48 AM   #6
Inner Circle

I think with movies the importance of the actor determines who's name goes first, but the 'ride along' dvd cover you linked to is exactly what I mean, from my point of view the names are in a wrong order.
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2014, 03:35 AM   #7
Inner Circle

Always the bride's name first - she's pretty much the most important person on the day - and I'm sure the groom would agree. I give the bride and groom copy in a boxed presentation case but for extra copies I have had a design printed in bulk and I overlay the names and date
Attached Thumbnails
order of names on dvdbox-dvd-case-insert.jpg  
Peter Rush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2014, 03:50 AM   #8
Major Player

I always have the brides name first and always have done. Same logic as Peter. It wouldn't have occurred to me to have the order in which they are standing in the photo dictate the order of the names. That would be relevant for general newspaper reports but not for weddings surely.

I supply two different box designs, one for the video and one for the stills files. The positions of the couple would often be different for each wrapper photo; it might jar if I changed the order of the names to "fit" each wrapper photo.

As for the positions they take up when posing for semi-formal photos again there are no set rules. One ancient rule of thumb is that the groom's sword arm should be free to protect his bride. Oh dear ..... who makes up this crap! Since this would be his right arm, his bride would be on his left. However if he has a large flower in his left lapel this will look out of place so close to his brides face and therefore his bride should be on his right. I always favour the latter n.b. grooms lapel flower to be on the outer edge.

Pete
Peter Riding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2014, 05:28 PM   #9
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noa Put View Post
You should have explained your logic to the bride. Then when she sees the cover, it would make perfect sense to her.
Warren Kawamoto is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques