Any Suggestions? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old October 10th, 2005, 02:43 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Any Suggestions?

I'm about to finish a clients video and I love everything about it except the first dance. I did some neat editing to it, however, the low light was apparent and it's a little more grainy then I thought it would be. I added in other scenes so it has "flash backs" during, but I'm trying to figure out a way to disguise the low light situation. I have premiere 6.5 and after effects so I'm sure there are many ways to do it, but after playing with just the colors and brightness I'm still not happy. Anyone have any good tips or tricks to make the video look better? I was looking for tutorials in after effects about maybe a dreamy effect or something, but haven't found what I'm looking for yet. I could switch to b/w, but it's still a little grainy.... Any suggestions would be appreciated!
Jennifer Graves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 10th, 2005, 02:51 PM   #2
Regular Crew

I am not an expert in doing this but I have used a glow effect and then dropped a diffuse effect in to create a good look on a lowlight video. Both effects were from the 55mm filter set. Hope this helps
Old October 10th, 2005, 07:11 PM   #3
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennifer Graves
I'm about to finish a clients video and I love everything about it except the first dance. I did some neat editing to it, however, the low light was apparent and it's a little more grainy then I thought it would be. I added in other scenes so it has "flash backs" during, but I'm trying to figure out a way to disguise the low light situation. I have premiere 6.5 and after effects so I'm sure there are many ways to do it, but after playing with just the colors and brightness I'm still not happy. Anyone have any good tips or tricks to make the video look better? I was looking for tutorials in after effects about maybe a dreamy effect or something, but haven't found what I'm looking for yet. I could switch to b/w, but it's still a little grainy.... Any suggestions would be appreciated!
I've dealt with this as well. I've tried working WITH the grainyness of the video. Expose the video as well as possible using levels- even if it enhances the visibility of the grain. Then try converting the footage to greyscale, and adding a soft diffusion ont he whites. It'll look artsy as if the grain was intended. When you cut to flashbacks...have them in color. That'll help differenciate the two scenes.

I can't speak for ALL brides but a great deal of them melt over b&w footage. More than likely they wont mind the first dance is in b&w. After all it'll probably take on a classier more deliberate look than the desaturated grainy image your starting out with.

Sometimes even a soft focus effect can help "smooth" out the noise.....though I like diffusion I'm not a fan of soft focus look.

Best of luck Jennifer.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques