Feedback on my work. at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old October 25th, 2014, 10:28 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Feedback on my work.

Hey everyone,

Is there a good place to get critiqued as well as critique other wedding film work?

If this is the best place for it I would love to get some feedback on some previous jobs. I have done.

I feel like I have picked up a lot more techniques since I shot these, but I still have some shots I really like in these videos.

Check them out:

Here is also just a sample reel I put together for a bridal show:

I have a bunch more footage to add to my portfolio so if you think there our some shots I can cut from the sample reel let me know. =)
Travis Heberling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2014, 01:29 AM   #2
Trustee

Re: Feedback on my work.

Hey Travis, if you find a better place than here... or any other place period... let me know!

By the way, it's probably better if you post in the "Wedding samples" section.

Some random comments on the first video (haven't watched the others yet):

-- You've got an interesting technique of cutting from wide to close, or close to wide. I thought it worked well. Like hands holding around the corner in the first look, or during the bridal waltz, particularly when the couple put their hands in the air, or during the pan down from the ceiling at the ceremony, or in the final shot.

-- Liked the selective focus look in the final shot. How did you achieve it?

-- 3:27: soundtrack seems like it jumps a little bit or something

-- during reception speeches -- was that in-camera sound? Do you prefer that to the sound you get from plugging into the sound system, for instance?
Adrian Tan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2014, 06:00 PM   #3
Regular Crew

For the last scene I just had a light focused on them and back lighting them and then did a vignette in post.

There wasnt a way to plug in during the ceremony so the audio is a combo of lav mic, shotgun, and h4n hidden near the stage.

Same for the reception...but in general I like to mix a little of the shotgun mic to get that room sound feel.

Thanks for the comments!
Old November 3rd, 2014, 09:37 AM   #4
Major Player

Travis,
I will give you some very general critique. If you'd like more specific critique I can.

The first thing that strikes me is that you call these narratives, but there is no real narrative associated. These are essentially just images set to music. And it is difficult for anyone but the bride and groom to be drawn in and make an emotional attachment to this type of video. Also, when you use the entire song, what ends up happening is you use clips that you might not use otherwise or you force things that otherwise aren't great. There were several times in the first clip where you showed unintentional camera movement like readjusting the shot, where if you could establish the pace you want, you could make the clip the right length. I would suggest on the next one, cut the clips the way you want first and then cut the music to fit this clips. In a highlight like this, you should use only the best shots. Only the cleanest work. Sometimes that is 3:38 but sometimes it's 1:45. I think reducing to the absolute best shots would benefit the piece a lot.

You should take on the task of getting direct audio for speeches. When I'm recording speeches, I have a Tascam DR40 plugged into the soundboard, a wireless over the PA speaker running into channel 2, and a Zoom H1 over the other speaker with a lapel mic.
You also seem to be applying slomo to 24p footage. You need to plan out any slomo shots you do and shoot them at a higher framerate. I suspect this is another technique you're using to fill time.

You should never shoot handheld. In the last clip there are several closeups that are way too shakey to use. You seem to have a good grasp of color, exposure, etc. so the next step is finding your voice. Who do you want to be, what do you want to be known for. I have found that brides want their video from you to be exciting, engaging, and something their friends can love just as much as they do. Keep in mind any critique you get here or anywhere else is just an opinion, if you disagree then that is just as awesome as agreeing. In the beginning, posting here and elsewhere is what helped me grow. It hurt like hell, but it helped me reach further and push myself. Brides are generally very happy with their video, it's everyone else you have to think about as well. This is a long process of honing technique as well as trying new things. Good luck and keep posting.
Old November 3rd, 2014, 07:27 PM   #5
Inner Circle

I do agree with Bill too.

There are far too many wedding films that are simply slideshows with moving (and sometimes not even moving) pictures ... You simply cannot build a wedding story without decent audio so to present a clip as a narrative without any at least narration just makes it a good slide show that can often be achieved just as easily by using still images and working within them.

These seem to be an offshoot from photogs who have decided to turn to video rather than film-makers who have always shot film and video and have only a small dabbling in photography. With DSLR's producing outstanding video quality it's too simple to switch from photos and make a wedding film. You need to try and cancel the photographer mode in your head whilst shooting and shoot your film like a film-maker rather. As Bill has already said, purely adding extra non relevant clips so you can fill in the blanks with the music needs to be avoided.
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2014, 07:41 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Appreciate all the feedback!

What do you do when there isnt an option to plug in? (thats the situation I had this wedding)
Old November 4th, 2014, 08:09 PM   #7
Trustee

Travis, your work looks good, which is a great start. Agree on the audio. You will get a lot more reaction with even limited use of audio.

Watching Video #1 I would have bet that the audio during that gift exchange/first look would have been gold IF you had mic'ed the groom - wireless or pocket recorder - which would help dodge any issues with wind or shutter noise from the photog.

At ceremonies, I put a wireless on the pastor, a pocket recorder on the groom (I want the vows, the rest is just backup), and will tape a pocket recorder or wireless to their mic in the stand for readings if I have to.

At receptions if you can't record out from the mixing board, then if you have a recorder with XLR inputs, you can use the output on a powered speaker (if it has both an XLR AND a power plug, its a powered speaker).

If that still isn't an option... well, tape your wireless mic to the hand held they'll use for speeches, or go ahead and mic your principles that you know will speak. I do that as a last resort. I now have 3 pocket recorders available.
Robert Benda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2014, 08:18 PM   #8
Trustee

I like #2 better, and of course it does use natural audio, though something still felt a little flat about it - not sure why, I only watched once. Maybe it never really had a crescendo, it didn't feel like it built to anything.

Curious about what song is in #2? Sounds like the Postal Service.

Adrian mentioned cutting wide to close, or vice a versa... I like it. I usually only go from close to wide when I want to transition spaces - leaving the B&G portrait session to cut back to the church, for instance. Do the reverse, from wide to close to arrive at a place or to bring people in with a more intimate feeling. Nice work.
Robert Benda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2014, 08:48 PM   #9
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis Heberling View Post
What do you do when there isnt an option to plug in? (thats the situation I had this wedding)
Lots of ideas in this forum if you look through the threads. But the best summary I've seen (and I've used all these methods at one time or another) is Taky Cheung's blog article:

Different Methods in Capturing Good Audio at Live Event | L.A. Color Pros Blog
Adrian Tan is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques