How much do you use a glide/flycam ? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old November 10th, 2014, 07:54 AM   #1
Regular Crew

How much do you use a glide/flycam ?

I have just invested in a flycam 3000 and wrist support so looking forward to using it on a wedding at the end of the month, but I was wondering in practical terms how much of the day you use them for or whether it gets in the way of your general creativity, in that it seems to be that focusing, using DOF and zooming could be problematic with a flycam, particularly the way altering your zoom throws your balance off. It seems to be that it would be best used during the first dance, disco and possibly following the bride down the aisle, and go handheld for the rest? Or do you use it all day ?
James Stevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2014, 08:07 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: How much do you use a glide/flycam ?

Hi James

I got to the point where I was only using it for the outdoor photoshoot. The weight will KILL your arm plus it gets in the way. I'm using a gyro 2 axis gimbal now with an action cam ..easier and smaller and works well. If you want to continue with a flycam get the vest!!

Chris
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2014, 08:45 AM   #3
Trustee

I don't use one, but it seems to me its about what shots would benefit from movement, or the off-the-tripod sort of energy.

Dancing seems like the most obvious place to start
The B&G recessional is also full of energy.

Possibly the brides entrance, if you trail her in.
or the B&G's entrance or exit from the reception
Or the same at the first look, or during the video shoot of the couple (as-in, them walking hand in hand, etc).

I'm less of a fan during things like the first dance, but have seen it used wonderfully as part of a transition. Someone here had a shot of a chandelier above the dance floor that then fell down to the B&G. I liked that. Transition between spaces benefits from some movement, and you can use a Glidecam just as easily as a slider.
Robert Benda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2014, 10:42 AM   #4
Inner Circle

My steadicam including camera and microphone is below 2kg in weight totally so very light, I have a blackbird with a panasonic gh3 and 12mm f2.0 and a Tascam TM-2X.

I start using it from reception as for the first part of the day I find it too cumbersome to drag along, also don't use it on a photoshoot as even the slightest breeze will push it out of balance and it's hard to maintain steady shots in that way, this is because my setup is so light, I have done shots with a sony nex)ea50 and then it was more controllable but also to heavy for me.

I use it to get shots from a empty venue, just before they let all the guests in, then I follow the couple when they do their first entrance, I use it when the cake is being brought in, when the first dance is and during the dancing part and then a few shots when the venue is full or just following a waiter when they bring in the food. The steadicam has a kickstand so I can place it about anywhere if not in use.

I use my steadicam shots a lot in my trailers that go on my website.

It's also a m4/3 camera I'm using so maintaining focus is also much less of an issue compared to larger sensor camera's.
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2014, 01:37 PM   #5
Major Player

Your first time, I would just use it during dance floor scenes, and myb extra time of the formals or something. It's a bit of a hassle using it, as well as a camera on the tripod. You wouldn't want to mess up the first dance with shoddy glidecam work, or see yourself in the background of the dance, or have the couple dance off screen & rely only on your glidecam work.

As for the brides entrance, I'd ask them if they would like that. It could potentially kill the photographers shot of her coming down the aisle, with the videographer standing behind her.
David Barnett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2014, 02:16 PM   #6
Inner Circle

Quote:
As for the brides entrance, I'd ask them if they would like that. It could potentially kill the photographers shot of her coming down the aisle, with the videographer standing behind her.
I think the risk of blocking eachothers view if we both would be standing in front of the couple is possible (during the first entrance at the venue), therefore I always follow the couple from the backside and the photog always shoots then from the front. I do inform the photog about my intentions and in the past years never had one complain. Usually the couple doesn't walk in a straight line and I don't stay right behind them but move to the left or right when I can so the photog had plenty of time to take his shot.

I have the photog so many times in my view and I really can't prevent that I will not be in his shot either, I only assure I am not blocking his path so he can take his pictures and I expect the same from them.

Steadicam does require plenty of experience, I now rely more on my steadicam work if I have to follow somebody, if something happens and if I walk towards whatever is going on I can already start to use the movement towards the subject, with a handheld camera I can only start shooting when I"m there and when I stand still enough to take a stable shot.
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2014, 03:55 PM   #7
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Stevens View Post
I was wondering in practical terms how much of the day you use them for or whether it gets in the way of your general creativity...
I've got the luxury of doing almost every shoot with at least two people. When working with my usual second shooter, basically he's on a steadicam all day, looking for wide-angle and moving-shot possibilities, and I'm on a monopod all day looking for static compositions.

When by myself, I'll take the steadicam out for a few shots during prep, especially establishing shots, for start and end of ceremony, for photoshoot, but it sees most use at reception -- not just for dancing and special entertainment, but common uses would include doing a virtual tour of the empty reception room, showing off details (though I'd also pull out a slider), gliding from table to table to show guests, following waiters around, doing roundie-round of cake, covering bouquet/garter toss, preceding couple in the farewell arch.
Adrian Tan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2014, 07:53 AM   #8
Regular Crew

Thanks for the suggestions. At the wedding I have at the end of the month, I am only paid up to the end of the photoshoots, however I have said I will film the rest of the evening for free as a favour, so I will be experimenting with flycam then, because even in the worst case scenario and I screw up every frame of film, they didnt pay for it anyway.
Old November 12th, 2014, 12:27 PM   #9
Major Player

@Noa, I was actually referring to Robert Benda's suggestion which I think indicated 'following the bride's entrance'. Which by that, I took as the brides entrance into the ceremony. Imho thats a more important shot which I don't think would look appropriate having the video guy behind her. At the reception, for the B&G entrance yeah its more informal, and photogs seem to get a more angled shot. I agree that prolly isn't as big a distraction. Hard to do tho as a solo shooter as you'd miss the bridal party's entrance, unless you quickly ran back after the last of the bridal party.

Its cool for line dances, Cupid Shuffle, Cha Cha Slide etc & slow dances.. guests tend to get a kick out of seeing it.
David Barnett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2014, 05:56 AM   #10
Regular Crew

Did a little bit of filming the other day, I found the wrist brace much more uncomfortable but I guess its better in the long run to put the strain to the puny little bicep than my puny little wrist, I know which one would snap first...OK it was horribly misbalanced which added to the awkwardness, but still.

These things are so uncomfortable, the thought of shooting a whole wedding with one makes me cry. I think it will be reception only for the time being until I figure out a good technique. That said, even with a really badly balanced rig I had lovely smooth footage and my soundtrack is free of all the horrible clicks and scrapes that I normally get from handling the tripod or lens.
Old December 3rd, 2014, 05:14 AM   #11
Regular Crew

Just a quick update... I started using it during bridal preps just to get an idea and ended up using it for pretty much the whole day! Not quite as awkward as I expected (although I think I pulled all kinds of muscles in my left arm by carrying the rig by its post rather than the handle a few times...) I havent really had chance to go through all my footage yet but my first dance footage is so much nicer this time around, and things like following the bride and groom on their first walk as a couple / being announced at reception should look terrific, so I think this was a really good buy.

This is just a quick clip from the first dance. Not bad for a first attempt!

Adam and Kerry - First Dance - eternal-images
Old December 3rd, 2014, 12:08 PM   #12
Trustee

Hey James, one thing I wanted to add... I played around with a friend's Glidecam a few weeks ago, and hated it. Couldn't believe how much strain it put on the wrist, and couldn't imagine myself carrying it for long periods of time.

Whereas with a Steadicam Merlin -- my second shooter and I run around with that thing for 15, 30, 60 minute blocks covering special dances and entertainment.

So, if you do want to use a stabiliser more, and find it a strain, check out the competitor products. They might suit you better.
Adrian Tan is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques