DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Wedding / Event Videography Techniques (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/)
-   -   Has anyone here switched from 5D3 to GH4 for weddings? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/525724-has-anyone-here-switched-5d3-gh4-weddings.html)

Ger Griffin November 13th, 2014 11:26 AM

Has anyone here switched from 5D3 to GH4 for weddings?

Hi all.
About 10 years ago we were all debating whether or not there would be a need for a photographer in the future, with the ability to framebrab from the 4k footage. I think anyone who knows weddings will agree that there will always be a need for a photographer, if only to organise groups etc.
But lately Ive been considering moving to the GH4 from the 5mk3 for this exact reason.
I do get asked for stills from the footage quite a bit and have to dissapoint couples in my reply.
I would love to be able to at least be able to to provide the service to those that need the framegrabs later for whatever reason. Perhaps the photographer missed the key moment etc. Its a delicate issue that we are all going to have to address in the near future with our photographer pals.

Has anyone moved from the 5d3 to the GH4 for this purpose? And if so are you happy with your decision?

Im really hesitant as for the first time in my career Im truely happy with the look Im getting from my camera/lens combo (50L on 5d3 for most of the day). 720p 50 is gorgeous on the 5d3.

Id be thowing that shallow DOF and smooth slowmo away in a trade for printable footage.

Logic tells me to wait for a Canon or Nikon FF 4k solution to keep the FF look and lets be honest, the A7s with shogun is an akward and slightly expensive solution (I'd need 2).

Roger Gunkel November 13th, 2014 11:37 AM

Re: Has anyone here switched from 5D3 to GH4 for weddings?

Ii wouldn't worry about what photographers think. As they have over 90% of the wedding market and videographers about 10%, I'd be more worried about photographers offering video on their dslrs and taking the rest of the market.

Roger

Adrian Tan November 13th, 2014 12:29 PM

Hey Ger, I've got a feeling no one has made the swap for that particular reason, and that, therefore, you yourself are best placed to answer whether it's a swap worth making, since you know your market and know how many people are actually asking for or would be happy with frame grabs.

Just to rehash old ideas, frame grabs are never going to be as good as a dedicated creative photographer, for a whole bunch of reasons, including lack of raw capability, motion blur at 1/50, and restrictions in portrait framing and Dutch tilts. That said, I believe you could extract enough usable frame grabs from general video footage, without specifically shooting for that, to make the process worthwhile, if the couple are on a low budget. And the reason I say that is mainly because Nigel, who posts on this forum, has done so, using HD grabs from C300 footage.

Whether shooting on a GH4 would compromise your video quality, given that you're really happy with your current setup... Well, I think it's the operator that matters much more than the camera, that a GH4 would bring plusses as well as minuses, and that you could work around any limitations to get great footage.

In terms of waiting for a 4K Canon (assuming a 1DC is out of the question), I think the main factor is how pressing your need is. If a 5DIV with 4K came out in fourth quarter next year, is that too late for you? Do you really want to provide frame grabs to couples right now? You're in the best position to answer that...

Craig McKenna November 13th, 2014 12:57 PM

You'd need to consider the drawbacks of the GH4 vs the 5D3 even more... like how does low light performance compare to the 5D3 on the GH4? Personally, I find myself looking at the A7S with a sad face, wishing my GH4's ISO performance was similar. With the discussions around organic sensors (Panasonic / Fuji) and Sony's ASPC chips around the corner, I'd personally wait until a breakthrough similar to the A7S comes alongside 4K in-body.

You sound like you enjoy the Full Frame look - that in itself is harder to achieve on a GH4, even with the flurry of great prime lenses. E.g. your 50L would be replaced with the 25mm f/1.4 Panasonic-Leica lens on a GH4, yet would only provide you with f/2.8 equivalent on a full frame.

I'd recommend waiting to see if Canon is willing to take away the 1DC's current position as being the only body with 4K and whether the 5D4 arrives with 4K in body. If it was to do so, then you have the best of both worlds.

However, do you think Canon will offer 4K in body in the near future? Their C100 MK2 didn't receive 4K.

Steve Burkett November 13th, 2014 01:16 PM

If I was a betting man, I'd wager that 4k will make it's introduction with either a 5d Mark IV or a C400 (should such a camera occur). The C100 Mark II was hardly likely to upstage the C300 with 4k, no more than the 7d Mark II would upstage the 5d Mark III.
I've used the GH4 very happily since May, love the camera. The stills I get from 4k are more useful for DVD Covers than to the couples. Few ask for the service. Personally I'd stick with whatever system you have. I wouldn't switch to another system on the basis of one feature. Not unless you're sitting on a fortune.

Craig McKenna November 13th, 2014 01:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve Burkett (Post 1867677)
If I was a betting man, I'd wager that 4k will make it's introduction with either a 5d Mark IV or a C400 (should such a camera occur). The C100 Mark II was hardly likely to upstage the C300 with 4k, no more than the 7d Mark II would upstage the 5d Mark III.
I've used the GH4 very happily since May, love the camera. The stills I get from 4k are more useful for DVD Covers than to the couples. Few ask for the service. Personally I'd stick with whatever system you have. I wouldn't switch to another system on the basis of one feature. Not unless you're sitting on a fortune.

What Steve said.

Interesting to consider 4K coming to a 5D IV though... and the C400 would be so expensive, I'd say it would be out of the price range (considering 5D3 vs GH4).

I also love the GH4, but I'm hoping long term for there to be a significant improvement in the ISO performance.

Dave Partington November 13th, 2014 01:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Craig McKenna (Post 1867678)
What Steve said.

Interesting to consider 4K coming to a 5D IV though... and the C400 would be so expensive, I'd say it would be out of the price range (considering 5D3 vs GH4).

I also love the GH4, but I'm hoping long term for there to be a significant improvement in the ISO performance.

I love the GH4 too and honestly haven't shot video with my 5D3 since getting it!

What will also be interesting will be to see what Sony's new sensor technology is like ( Sony kills Bayer sensors: Will Olympus next High End OMD use the new APCS (active pixel color sampling) sensor? | 43 Rumors ) and if it will be in Olympus's next body with 4K, perhaps with 5 axis stabiization.... now that could be a very interesting product!

Steve Burkett November 13th, 2014 01:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Craig McKenna (Post 1867678)
What Steve said.

I'm not hedging bets on major ISO improvements in the Panasonic. Just not seeing that as a priority for them. All the camera companies make decisions more on potential profits rather than customer satisfaction. Nikon and Canon are the top dogs in Photography, so good low light is given a priority more for the Photographers sake than Videographers. Unfortunately an impressive range of cameras restricts innovation. Sony and Panasonic are however pushing 4K, no small coincidence they also both make TV's. I'd be looking at what Sony is doing for next year. Recent news suggests they're pushing ahead on the video side, so fullframe and internal 4k isn't too far away I'm sure.

Ger Griffin November 13th, 2014 06:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roger Gunkel (Post 1867670)
Ii wouldn't worry about what photographers think. As they have over 90% of the wedding market and videographers about 10%, I'd be more worried about photographers offering video on their dslrs and taking the rest of the market.

Roger

Yes they'll try but they'll fail. They'll soon realise the true lenghts they have to go to produce what we produce. The editing etc. will put them off I believe. We all know its harder than it appears to produce a truely good wedding vid and takes years of refining of techniques and skills. But true, if they are backed into a corner they may come out fighting.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve Burkett (Post 1867677)
Personally I'd stick with whatever system you have. I wouldn't switch to another system on the basis of one feature. Not unless you're sitting on a fortune.

Sounds like good advice. Its why I havent bit the bullet regardless of how many youtube videos are telling me the 5d3 is no longer the camera to have for video shooting. Personally I like the softness of the image. Its just right I feel for a brides face. I think Id even be tempted to soften the footage out of the gh4.
I dont see a fortune being made but i do see the cost of the cameras being covered with a few extra bob in my pocket at the end of the year. Would it be worth all the hassle though? No probably not.

Michael Thames November 16th, 2014 08:54 PM

Sounds like good advice. Its why I havent bit the bullet regardless of how many youtube videos are telling me the 5d3 is no longer the camera to have for video shooting. Personally I like the softness of the image. Its just right I feel for a brides face. I think Id even be tempted to soften the footage out of the gh4.
I dont see a fortune being made but i do see the cost of the cameras being covered with a few extra bob in my pocket at the end of the year. Would it be worth all the hassle though? No probably not.[/QUOTE]

I feel the same way, I love the softness and color of the 5D3 it's great for close ups. I don't think the GH4 would be very flattering to a brides face without a softening filter.

I too have survived the propaganda Youtube comparisons.

Steve Burkett November 17th, 2014 03:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Michael Thames (Post 1867948)
I dont see a fortune being made but i do see the cost of the cameras being covered with a few extra bob in my pocket at the end of the year. Would it be worth all the hassle though? No probably not.

I feel the same way, I love the softness and color of the 5D3 it's great for close ups. I don't think the GH4 would be very flattering to a brides face without a softening filter.

I too have survived the propaganda Youtube comparisons.[/QUOTE]

In post production it's easier to soften than to create detail, even with a good sharpening filter. RB Looks has a filter that can target faces and soften them. I do like the image of the 5d Mark III, the full frame look though is more than just about softness, it's the ease with which shallow depth of field can be done. For the GH4, I have to use long lenses to get the same effect, not always practical at Weddings. Though it does stop me from over using depth of field too on the plus side.
However I'm not just filming faces; I recently did some filming in the Yorkshire Dales, where the 4K made a real difference in creating some great footage. I did something similar years back with the Canon 60D and was very disappointed. So I'm very pleased with the GH4... for now.
Just one other point on softness, Photographers are taking photos at Weddings with resolutions far greater than 4K. Are they all softening their images to compensate?

Daniel Latimer November 17th, 2014 06:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve Burkett (Post 1867964)
It's the ease with which shallow depth of field can be done. For the GH4, I have to use long lenses to get the same effect, not always practical at Weddings. Though it does stop me from over using depth of field too on the plus side.

Micro 4/3 also has some really fast lens. Voigtlander and SLR magic has some .95 lens that aren't telephoto so you can get that shallow depth of field easier, when you want it.

Craig McKenna November 19th, 2014 06:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve Burkett (Post 1867685)
I'm not hedging bets on major ISO improvements in the Panasonic. Just not seeing that as a priority for them. All the camera companies make decisions more on potential profits rather than customer satisfaction. Nikon and Canon are the top dogs in Photography, so good low light is given a priority more for the Photographers sake than Videographers. Unfortunately an impressive range of cameras restricts innovation. Sony and Panasonic are however pushing 4K, no small coincidence they also both make TV's. I'd be looking at what Sony is doing for next year. Recent news suggests they're pushing ahead on the video side, so fullframe and internal 4k isn't too far away I'm sure.

Really? I think high ISO is the one main issues for a lot of people when considering shooting with M4/3. If they can double performance in this area, moving from acceptable 3200 to 6400, then I think many people will raise their eyebrows and take note. Thus gaining them more sales.

A shallow depth of field can be achieved with one of the great prime lenses that are available, along with major advancements in recent years with regards to autofocus, lens selection - with the introduction of the pro zooms - and ultimately, video features / codecs.

The one main feature missing from the Panasonic line up is IBIS. The GX7 has it, yet it hasn't made its way over to the GH line. Surely, next time, it won't be omitted and Panasonic will have a run at Oly's brilliant IBIS in the EM1?

Sony sounds about right though and I found your 4K comment interesting - definitely makes sense!!!

Nigel Barker November 20th, 2014 04:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Daniel Latimer (Post 1867972)
Micro 4/3 also has some really fast lens. Voigtlander and SLR magic has some .95 lens that aren't telephoto so you can get that shallow depth of field easier, when you want it.

All manual lenses unfortunately. Shooting weddings you need speedy setup & reliable focusing & the easiest way is to use autofocus to nail the shot before you start rolling. It's OK focusing manually once shooting but making sure that when you go to grab the shot that you are not hunting for focus is helpful.

I like the MFT cameras as they are so much lighter & more agile than using a 5D3 or C100 but the advantage that the Canon cameras have if that the colours look fabulous straight out of camera & with the 5D2/3 the softer less than proper 1080p resolution is actually very flattering. You also don't have to work at getting cool looking out of focus background with exotic manual lenses as even the F/4 lenses will give smooth bokeh.

Daniel Latimer November 20th, 2014 06:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nigel Barker (Post 1868291)
All manual lenses unfortunately. Shooting weddings you need speedy setup & reliable focusing & the easiest way is to use autofocus to nail the shot before you start rolling. It's OK focusing manually once shooting but making sure that when you go to grab the shot that you are not hunting for focus is helpful.

While your system may be easier to a certain extent, but I don't think it's a huge difference. I don't have any lenses in my kit that are autofocus. It may take some initial practice to get use to using manual lenses, but it's not something that has had an ill effect on my work. I really like having the aperture on the lens instead of the camera.

Steve Burkett November 20th, 2014 05:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Craig McKenna (Post 1868241)
Really? I think high ISO is the one main issues for a lot of people when considering shooting with M4/3. If they can double performance in this area, moving from acceptable 3200 to 6400, then I think many people will raise their eyebrows and take note. Thus gaining them more sales.

A shallow depth of field can be achieved with one of the great prime lenses that are available, along with major advancements in recent years with regards to autofocus, lens selection - with the introduction of the pro zooms - and ultimately, video features / codecs.

I'm not saying ISO isn't important, more I feel lowlight isn't a priority for Panasonic and thus any improvements will only be marginal. Maybe they'll prove me wrong with the next camera..... The problem is for Panasonic, the micro 4/3 is always going to face an uphill battle with lowlight over fullframe. The larger the sensor, the greater the capture of light. Any innovation will only be matched by Canon and Sony making similar advancements, so it will always fall short no matter how much they invest in it.

As for depth of field, I own the Voigtlander 17.5, the Panasonic 25mm and Olympus 45 and 75. Only with the 75, can I get the sort of real smooth background I've seen on a Canon 5d. Now some say this is good thing, but there are times I like to throw the background out of focus completely without being so far away. Not knocking the other primes as I love them too. For Receptions, I'm frequently using the 75 for beauty shots of the guests when I have the room. This time of year, this isn't always the case.

Nigel Barker November 21st, 2014 04:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve Burkett (Post 1868383)
As for depth of field, I own the Voigtlander 17.5, the Panasonic 25mm and Olympus 45 and 75. Only with the 75, can I get the sort of real smooth background I've seen on a Canon 5d. Now some say this is good thing, but there are times I like to throw the background out of focus completely without being so far away. Not knocking the other primes as I love them too. For Receptions, I'm frequently using the 75 for beauty shots of the guests when I have the room. This time of year, this isn't always the case.

To get the same DOF as the Canon 70-200mm F/2.8L at 150mm the Olympus 75mm would need an aperture of F/1.4 rather than the F/1.8 it actually possesses.

Steve Burkett November 21st, 2014 06:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nigel Barker (Post 1868432)
To get the same DOF as the Canon 70-200mm F/2.8L at 150mm the Olympus 75mm would need an aperture of F/1.4 rather than the F/1.8 it actually possesses.

To be honest Nigel I wasn't being that precise in my comparison. Just suggesting to get creative with depth of field with micro 4/3 you need a longer focal length than fullframe, such as the 75mm.

Nigel Barker November 22nd, 2014 05:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve Burkett (Post 1868498)
To be honest Nigel I wasn't being that precise in my comparison. Just suggesting to get creative with depth of field with micro 4/3 you need a longer focal length than fullframe, such as the 75mm.

I was just pointing out that even with a longer focal length that it's actually impossible to achieve the same shallow DOF of the full frame with an MFT lens.

Ger Griffin November 26th, 2014 03:14 PM

I just love the fact that my footage is good to go straight from the card with the 5d3. Colors , detail etc. all seem to hit that sweet spot (for weddings) straight out of the camera.

Steve Burkett November 27th, 2014 05:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ger Griffin (Post 1868964)
I just love the fact that my footage is good to go straight from the card with the 5d3. Colors , detail etc. all seem to hit that sweet spot (for weddings) straight out of the camera.

My own personal preference. If I was going to spend 3-4k on a camera, I'd go for the C100 over the 5D. I just feel that if I'm going to spend that much hard cash, I'd want a camera that's been designed for filming rather than photography with ND Filters, good range of control via buttons rather than menu and the ability to attach multiple audio sources. I can accept my GH4 for not looking like a Professional camera even though it films like one, because I only paid a grand for it. When the time comes to shell out £3000 or more, I'd be looking at something more professional. It's a shame the mark II doesn't have 4k otherwise I'd have ordered one like a shot. Sony have the FS7; just a bit out of my price reach. Maybe it'll come down in price... I wish.

Ger Griffin November 27th, 2014 12:50 PM

For me Id take the 5d3 (with ML of course, but not neccessarily raw) over the c100. Apart from the price difference the crop factor would annoy me now at this stage having worked with FF for the last couple of years. A lot of the lenses I use when on FF have this swirl effect to the bokeh thats nowhere near as pronounced when on a crop body. Its a look Ive fallen for now at this stage and would miss a lot.
Of course not everyone would see these little reasons to be enough to swap systems, but they may be enough to convince someone not to swap which is where Im at at the moment.

Steve Burkett November 27th, 2014 01:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ger Griffin (Post 1869039)
For me Id take the 5d3 (with ML of course, but not neccessarily raw) over the c100. Apart from the price difference the crop factor would annoy me now at this stage having worked with FF for the last couple of years. A lot of the lenses I use when on FF have this swirl effect to the bokeh thats nowhere near as pronounced when on a crop body. Its a look Ive fallen for now at this stage and would miss a lot.
Of course not everyone would see these little reasons to be enough to swap systems, but they may be enough to convince someone not to swap which is where Im at at the moment.

Fair enough; can't really argue with that. It's important to be happy with the quality of your work. I quite like the look of 4K, though not everyone's cup of tea, but then some of my non Wedding work benefits from detail.

Craig McKenna November 27th, 2014 01:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve Burkett (Post 1868383)
I'm not saying ISO isn't important, more I feel lowlight isn't a priority for Panasonic and thus any improvements will only be marginal. Maybe they'll prove me wrong with the next camera..... The problem is for Panasonic, the micro 4/3 is always going to face an uphill battle with lowlight over fullframe. The larger the sensor, the greater the capture of light. Any innovation will only be matched by Canon and Sony making similar advancements, so it will always fall short no matter how much they invest in it.

Very true. The A7ii has IBIS, which I assume is sensor technology borrowed from the OM-D? Hopefully Olympus will release a 12 megapixel video camera using the same sensor tech as the A7S in the near future. I'm uncertain as to what IS possible, but I'd like the think that was by my own logic.

Otherwise, you're right... and low light is so important for weddings, that I think I can see myself switching systems if Sony offers 4K in the next A7S... otherwise, I may spring for a C100 eventually... but whatever you choose, there seems to be drawbacks.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve Burkett (Post 1869008)
My own personal preference. If I was going to spend 3-4k on a camera, I'd go for the C100 over the 5D. I just feel that if I'm going to spend that much hard cash, I'd want a camera that's been designed for filming rather than photography with ND Filters, good range of control via buttons rather than menu and the ability to attach multiple audio sources. I can accept my GH4 for not looking like a Professional camera even though it films like one, because I only paid a grand for it. When the time comes to shell out £3000 or more, I'd be looking at something more professional. It's a shame the mark II doesn't have 4k otherwise I'd have ordered one like a shot. Sony have the FS7; just a bit out of my price reach. Maybe it'll come down in price... I wish.

I agree with all of this post, 100%. In some ways, I wonder if there's a point in having a better camera than a GH4 for filming weddings... it's a great camera!

Ger Griffin November 27th, 2014 05:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve Burkett (Post 1869043)
Fair enough; can't really argue with that. It's important to be happy with the quality of your work. I quite like the look of 4K, though not everyone's cup of tea, but then some of my non Wedding work benefits from detail.

Sure and when Im faced with a corporate job I now feel I must shoot in RAW on the 5d3 otherwise Im just not providing the quality thats on par with the current standard. I do believe shooting 4k on the gh4 is a more logical and effective solution to shooting raw on the 5d3 if detail is the primary concern.

Michael Thames November 27th, 2014 08:23 PM

Quote:

I too have survived the propaganda Youtube comparisons.

[/QUOTE] Just one other point on softness, Photographers are taking photos at Weddings with resolutions far greater than 4K. Are they all softening their images to compensate?[/QUOTE]

I just remember when HD flat screens came out, the news casters complaining about how much make up they had to put on..... ha ha!

My Ex-wife and I started a Magazine here in Santa Fe called "Local Flavor" the very first issue featured a women who owned an up scale restaurant. The photo was a close up of her face and she was in her late 40's. After the first issue hit the news stands she was very pissed, we featured a close up of her face and plastered it all over town.

Adrian Tan November 27th, 2014 10:22 PM

Quote:

Just one other point on softness, Photographers are taking photos at Weddings with resolutions far greater than 4K. Are they all softening their images to compensate?

Well, I think they're all going to work with blemish removal. I certainly do when I have close-ups of women's skin, be it face, arm, or foot. Discolourations, dry patches, moles, bumps, wrinkles -- gone! (The problem then is: how much can you remove without turning them into different people?)

Blemish removal aside, it's true -- photographers usually seem to be in love with sharper and sharper prime lenses, and are going to lengths to sharpen even more in post. The commonest trick seems to be duplicate, apply high pass filter, set blending mode to hard or linear light. Some people go further and give their photos more of an drawn, illustrated look.

But is video the same, looking better when sharpened? Or does sharpness make a video more video-like? Or does it not have any effect at all? I genuinely don't know.

Steve Burkett November 28th, 2014 03:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adrian Tan (Post 1869070)

But is video the same, looking better when sharpened? Or does sharpness make a video more video-like? Or does it not have any effect at all? I genuinely don't know.

I think there's a difference between detail and sharpness. Interstellar was shot I understand on 70mm film, which I'd imagine is a lot more detailed than 16mm film, yet both are still film. What constitutes film like is a tricky one to answer. The Hobbit received complaints of looking video like, which was blamed on the 48fps, yet I've seem 24fps video look like video and not film. I quite like plenty of detail in my video, especially in the wide shots, which is why 4K interests me. It's a personal aesthetic and not one I'd expect others to share as I agree softness has its places too.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Craig McKenna (Post 1869044)
I wonder if there's a point in having a better camera than a GH4 for filming weddings... it's a great camera!

GH4 is a great Wedding camera, but less good for other types of shoots. I'd like a C100 with 4K, but Canon aren't going to oblige just yet. There's rumours of the 5D Mark IV for Easter. What's interesting is that whilst some feel it will have 4K, there are strong counter rumours suggesting that it won't. Another site has just published an article suggesting Canon are no longer interested in video in their Photographic cameras, preferring to direct video users to their Cinema Camera Line. Given the C100 Mark II doesn't have 4k, would Canon undercut it with the 5D Mark IV having 4K.

So my question is, should the Canon 5D Mark IV not have 4K, would it make a difference? How many existing 5D3 users would consider jumping ship say if Sony released a fullframe camera with internal 4K recording. Would it mark the beginning of the end of 5D use in Videography, or would the owners of the 5D3 still upgrade to the 5D4 if only for 50fps in 1080p. Is 4K all that important that it'll leave Canon behind or will they still have a strong corner of the video market?

Noa Put November 28th, 2014 04:06 AM

There definitely is a difference between added sharpness or real detail, especially downscaled to 1080p 4K can look pinsharp, or should I say pindetailled :) even when I zoom in on a 4K image up to it's native resolution it still looks as sharp/detailled as my other 1080p camera's. Does that mean I always shoot 4K? No, I do with my ax100 as I use that one primarily during the ceremony and I reframe and crop when needed but my gh4 I have used in 1080p mode for my last 2 weddings as for many shots I didn't see the benefit shooting 4K because I had to match the camera up with other 1080p camera's. In some shots it shows when I match 4K downscaled with 1080p and I rather prevent that.

Only when I feel 4K has a benefit, like when I want all the detail I can capture or when I want to be able to re-frame and crop in post I"ll shoot 4K. Also when I have to shoot at max iso, like 6400 I prefer to shoot 4K with my gh4 and downscale in post as it looks cleaner then my gh3 because the grain gets smaller as well.

Ger Griffin November 28th, 2014 09:00 AM

Just in relation to detail. Id be of the belief that people shouldnt be portrayed larger than a scale of 1:1
Putting a persons face closeup on a 42 inch screen will never flatter. In the near future I think we'll have to bear this in mind. Especially when 4k screens become the norm. We will have to retrain ourselves on how we should be framing our shots.

Michael Thames November 28th, 2014 09:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ger Griffin (Post 1869107)
Just in relation to detail. Id be of the belief that people shouldnt be portrayed larger than a scale of 1:1
Putting a persons face closeup on a 42 inch screen will never flatter. In the near future I think we'll have to bear this in mind. Especially when 4k screens become the norm. We will have to retrain ourselves on how we should be framing our shots.

When the photographer shot the lady's face for the magazine that was about 20 years ago, I don't know if photoshop existed then!

I do believe the colors and softness of the 5D3 image is much better for beauty shots and close ups than the GH4. I have a C100 and for close up shots I use the 5D3.

While I do understand if you mess up and don't plan your framing well like Noa, the GH4 is a good safety net, however, with the GH4 you are always at the mercy of unpredictable light and that for me was the single most important deciding factor in choosing the C100 over the GH4...... the same holds true for the 5D3 vs the GH4.

Noa Put November 28th, 2014 09:49 AM

Quote:

While I do understand if you mess up and don't plan your framing well like Noa
Not all of us shoot a person sitting still on a chair playing a guitar having plenty of time setting up our shots Michael :), some of us juggle up to 5 camera's at once during a unpredictable one time event (like the title thread says; weddings) and there a 4K camera can be a godsend just being able to reframe if needed, that's not messing up, messing up is having 2 camera's and not knowing how to match them up.

Michael Thames November 28th, 2014 10:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve Burkett (Post 1869091)
GH4 is a great Wedding camera, but less good for other types of shoots. I'd like a C100 with 4K, but Canon aren't going to oblige just yet. There's rumours of the 5D Mark IV for Easter. What's interesting is that whilst some feel it will have 4K, there are strong counter rumours suggesting that it won't. Another site has just published an article suggesting Canon are no longer interested in video in their Photographic cameras, preferring to direct video users to their Cinema Camera Line. Given the C100 Mark II doesn't have 4k, would Canon undercut it with the 5D Mark IV having 4K.

So my question is, should the Canon 5D Mark IV not have 4K, would it make a difference? How many existing 5D3 users would consider jumping ship say if Sony released a fullframe camera with internal 4K recording. Would it mark the beginning of the end of 5D use in Videography, or would the owners of the 5D3 still upgrade to the 5D4 if only for 50fps in 1080p. Is 4K all that important that it'll leave Canon behind or will they still have a strong corner of the video market?

I wouldn't take anything to the bank the "British film maker" has to say. He's legend in his own mind, and has made many false claims, the main purpose of his blog is to sell you stuff. It all comes down to one thing Canon isn't putting 4K video in their 5D4's (theoretically) that's his issue.

Perhaps Canon is a bit more visionary than the "British film maker" gives them credit for. He's kinda stuck in the DSLR thing and can't think outside of that little box. For God's sake..... it's just a video camera that looks like a photo camera, or vice versa........ his faithful followers should take up alms and buy the man a C100 MKII or a sony FS7...... so then he'll have not to complain about.

Perhaps Canon _has_ done their homework, and see a trend moving away from video in DSLR's to a full fledged video camera....... good lord imagine that, imagine you actually buy a video camera to shoot video!!! I did, I bought a C100 because I was tired of menu diving and screwing up shots because I forgot to turn off the "Auto power to disable" or the 29 minute recording limit while shooting interviews and live music. Personally I'll never buy another DSLR again because I all ready have a 5D3. A concept the "British film maker" can't quit seem to wrap his head around.

Imagine the DSLR evolving! Imagine a GH4 with proper ergonomics, buttons instead of menu diving, and no photos just a video camera, a larger sensor for better DOF....... things the 5D3 has a little of. I didn't buy a C100 to shoot photos, and I won't buy a GH4 to shoot photos either, were talking video here.

Finally, I've been on rumor sites too, and read of 4 new cameras perhaps coming out next year, but the 5D4 was not mentioned. I read over and over how everyone is pissed because Canon has't made 4K video available to the masses...... everything all the time!

Steve Burkett November 28th, 2014 11:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ger Griffin (Post 1869107)

Doesn't cinema break that rule. Plus some of my videos are watched on tablets and smart phones. Maybe I'll shoot as normal and put a disclaimer on the video; 'watching on a screen larger than 42" can seriously damage your self image'.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Michael Thames (Post 1869113)

I do believe the colors and softness of the 5D3 image is much better for beauty shots and close ups than the GH4. I have a C100 and for close up shots I use the 5D3.

While I do understand if you mess up and don't plan your framing well like Noa, the GH4 is a good safety net, however, with the GH4 you are always at the mercy of unpredictable light and that for me was the single most important deciding factor in choosing the C100 over the GH4...... the same holds true for the 5D3 vs the GH4.

Bit harsh. Reframing is less a safety net and more an option in filming. I have a good low light lens 12-35, but in civil Weddings, I'd prefer a f2.8 12-70. Such a lens does not exist for micro 4/3s as far as I'm aware. 4k helps in that respect. Still we can argue respected systems till we're blue in the face. No one camera system is perfect. Ideally you'd have multiple systems at your disposal; hardly practical for event filming. I'm sure you're doing great work with your camera system as I'm doing with mine.

Michael Thames November 28th, 2014 11:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Noa Put (Post 1869114)
Not all of us shoot a person sitting still on a chair playing a guitar having plenty of time setting up our shots Michael :), some of us juggle up to 5 camera's at once during a unpredictable one time event (like the title thread says; weddings) and there a 4K camera can be a godsend just being able to reframe if needed, that's not messing up, messing up is having 2 camera's and not knowing how to match them up.

So you actually have five, 4k cameras going just to cover your a$$, and that's a good reason for all of us to sell the 5D3's and get a GH4? Brilliant reasoning Noa!

Everything is a learning process Noa, I'm getting closer to matching up the C100 with the 5D3 it's taken me a couple of shoots with it I don't think it will ever be perfect. This subject seems to be a popular one on this forum matching up different cameras...... I don't think I'm the only one wrestling with this issue.

BTW, I wish you the best in your quest for better framing and anticipating spontaneous and random events!

Steve Burkett November 28th, 2014 11:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Michael Thames (Post 1869116)
Perhaps Canon is a bit more visionary than the "British film maker" gives them credit for. He's kinda stuck in the DSLR thing and can't think outside of that little box. For God's sake..... it's just a video camera that looks like a photo camera, or vice versa........ his faithful followers should take up alms and buy the man a C100 MKII or a sony FS7...... so then he'll have not to complain about.

Perhaps Canon _has_ done their homework, and see a trend moving away from video in DSLR's to a full fledged video camera....... good lord imagine that, imagine you actually buy a video camera to shoot video!!! I did, I bought a C100 because I was tired of menu diving and screwing up shots because I forgot to turn off the "Auto power to disable" or the 29 minute recording limit while shooting interviews and live music. Personally I'll never buy another DSLR again because I all ready have a 5D3. A concept the "British film maker" can't quit seem to wrap his head around.

Imagine the DSLR evolving! Imagine a GH4 with proper ergonomics, buttons instead of menu diving, and no photos just a video camera, a larger sensor for better DOF....... things the 5D3 has a little of. I didn't buy a C100 to shoot photos, and I won't buy a GH4 to shoot photos either, were talking video here.
!

So not a fan of his then. :)

Actually I own a Panasonic AF101a. I intend to sell it as I dislike the image. I've already stated in this thread that I'm a fan of the c100 and would have gone for the mark ii if it did 4k. Great camera for all the above reasons. Still the GH4 works well for me for Weddings and even if a proper camera presented itself, would still be used prominently in Weddings. I shoot a lot of run and gun at Weddings with a video monopod and the GH4 sits well on that. Plus a few other techniques where a small camera helps.
One thing the GH4 has that I really like, a touch screen. I find that very useful. Plus with one twist of a dial, I can call up several very different custom settings. C1 for manual 50fps, C2 for manual 4k, C3 for 96fps. No menus. Just the turning of a dial. I've customised buttons for histogram, peaking, variable shutter speed and bitrate. Again, no menus. Its very rare I hit the menu button on a shoot.

Ger Griffin November 28th, 2014 11:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve Burkett (Post 1869117)
Doesn't cinema break that rule. Plus some of my videos are watched on tablets and smart phones. Maybe I'll shoot as normal and put a disclaimer on the video; 'watching on a screen larger than 42" can seriously damage your self image'.

Yes true, but Ive seen the wrinkles, pores and blackheads 5 times bigger than they are in real life and they dont get any prettier. In our business its about making the subjects look as well as possible. Other businesses (like cinema) have a different story to tell.

Noa Put November 28th, 2014 11:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve Burkett (Post 1869117)
Maybe I'll shoot as normal and put a disclaimer on the video; 'watching on a screen larger than 42" can seriously damage your self image'.

I think you might be surprised how many weddingcouples just use their tablets to show their video to whoever is interested, I think the time people actually watch an entire weddingfilm on a tv at their friends place is over, they'll just whip out that Ipad instead. You also can select the appropriate camera depending on the bride, if she's ugly take the 5DIII and if it's a beauty take the gh4. :)

Ger Griffin November 28th, 2014 11:44 AM

Its all down to how far from the screen the viewer is in relation to the size of that screen. If the detail is there its there.

Michael Thames November 28th, 2014 11:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve Burkett (Post 1869120)
So not a fan of his then. :)

Actually I own a Panasonic AF101a. I intend to sell it as I dislike the image. I've already stated in this thread that I'm a fan of the c100 and would have gone for the mark ii if it did 4k. Great camera for all the above reasons. Still the GH4 works well for me for Weddings and even if a proper camera presented itself, would still be used prominently in Weddings. I shoot a lot of run and gun at Weddings with a video monopod and the GH4 sits well on that. Plus a few other techniques where a small camera helps.
One thing the GH4 has that I really like, a touch screen. I find that very useful. Plus with one twist of a dial, I can call up several very different custom settings. C1 for manual 50fps, C2 for manual 4k, C3 for 96fps. No menus. Just the turning of a dial. I've customised buttons for histogram, peaking, variable shutter speed and bitrate. Again, no menus. Its very rare I hit the menu button on a shoot.

Yea, not a big fan of his!

I'm not knocking the GH4..... I would buy one if I had the funds..... but my wife will divorce me if I buy a new camera within the next 2 years, I've assured her I'm covered for the time being....... then she looked at me and laughed.

Actually I want the XL100 instead of the GH4. I came very close to buying a GH4 6 weeks ago, but decided instead to get the C100 and I'm very glad I did.

It seems though the discussion here is about the 5D3 and the GH4 and in that case both of these cameras are relatively small and fit on a monopod. I confess I don't use monopods..... I did take one to Thailand with me last year with the 5D3 but ended up leaving it with family there because my baggage was over the limit, and have never missed it. But I'm not a run and gunner.

Since I don't own a GH4 I don't have experience with the knobs and dials, I only know the 5D3..... and yes the GH4 seems to have many conveniences the 5D3 doesn't have. However after using the 5d3 for the passed year, I dreamed of the simplicity of my old XH-A1 having a fling with my 5D3 on a remote tropical island and producing some off-spring.

I don't get Panasonic, since they are making a reputation for bringing cheap 4K video to the masses, why not go all the way and make a camera like a C100 but even smaller and for the same price as the GH4 with all the convinces of a real video camera...... that in my mind would be real innovation.... but then the "British film maker" might have to change the name of his website..... actually he should do that NOW! EOSHD....... ha ha! it's quite passé.