Keep it legal and still have happy customers? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old October 11th, 2005, 06:14 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Keep it legal and still have happy customers?

My apologies if this question has been answered previously, but here goes. My latest B & G used a couple of songs in their wedding that are recent popular country songs. The problem is, the songs were played during important parts of the ceremony, like the unity candle lighting. How do I deal with the legal issues of including them in the video? The easiest thing would be to simply cut them out, but like I said, they were played during important parts of the ceremony. I know the B & G won't want me to leave these parts out. Any thoughts?
Dave M. Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2005, 07:52 AM   #2
Major Player

Just fire up the search feature and search for Copyright Songs or Legal Song Use, etc..etc.. Then next week when your done reading you should have your answer..:)
Pat Sherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2005, 08:15 AM   #3
Inner Circle

I'm no legal expert, but I've heard it said that if you're merely recording what happened at the event you're okay, which better be true because otherwise we'd all have to dub over the sound track of a lot of wedding video footage. Assuming this is correct, then it's the responsibility of the person playing the music to ensure that they have the right to do so, and that's not your problem. What's trickier is when the couple asks you to pull their favorite track off a CD and dub that directly into the video, at which point you're the one making use of the material. In this case you have to decide whether it's worth the small but ominous risk of drawing the attention of the copyright holders, and there's an ongoing debate about how to handle this matter while still satisfying customers.
Kevin Shaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2005, 06:01 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Shaw
I'm no legal expert, but I've heard it said that if you're merely recording what happened at the event you're okay, which better be true because otherwise we'd all have to dub over the sound track of a lot of wedding video footage. Assuming this is correct, then it's the responsibility of the person playing the music to ensure that they have the right to do so, and that's not your problem. What's trickier is when the couple asks you to pull their favorite track off a CD and dub that directly into the video, at which point you're the one making use of the material. In this case you have to decide whether it's worth the small but ominous risk of drawing the attention of the copyright holders, and there's an ongoing debate about how to handle this matter while still satisfying customers.
Just wondering, but what if they had the CD, and you used the song off of there, its' basically just a 'backup' well kinda but not really, I don't know; or what if they downloaded the song (and payed for it), then I would think it could be used since they bought the rites to it. I guess this maybe one for an attorney...
Old October 13th, 2005, 06:19 AM   #6
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Sawyers
what if they downloaded the song (and payed for it), then I would think it could be used since they bought the rites to it.
If you download or purchase a song you didn't "buy the rights to it." Where'd u get that idea? You only purchased the song.
Craig Terott is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques