Anyone here using YN-300/YN-300II's for weddings? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old December 13th, 2014, 03:07 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Anyone here using YN-300/YN-300II's for weddings?

Hey guys, I was just wondering if anyone's using these for receptions? If so, how are they on the job? I recently picked up a pair of YN-300's, but need to get them sent back. They're fine on full power, but as soon as I turn it down one notch or lower, my camera picks up really bad flickering. Anyone here face the same issue as me?
Al Wong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2014, 05:22 AM   #2
Trustee

Re: Anyone here using YN-300/YN-300II's for weddings?

Buy the YN600's no flickering issues with those.
James Manford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2014, 05:36 AM   #3
Trustee

Yes and no. There were flickering issues on the early models, but these should have been fixed on 2014 production.

Here's my reviews on the YN300 & YN600 lights (all have written reviews, first two have videos, the second one is a bit long - sorry):

Yongnuo YN300 Pro LED Video Light Review

Yongnuo YN300-II Pro LED Video Light Review

Yongnuo YN600 (5500K) Pro LED Video Light Review

Yongnuo YN600 (3200K-5500K) Pro LED Video Light Review

The YN600 units have some definite issues when running on batteries and the fans can be problematic in quite situations. OTOH, they are a lot brighter. There are better alternatives.
Old December 13th, 2014, 06:01 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Manford View Post
Buy the YN600's no flickering issues with those.
I need something a little more portable for weddings, so the YN600 is a no go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Partington View Post
Yes and no. There were flickering issues on the early models, but these should have been fixed on 2014 production.

Here's my reviews on the YN300 & YN600 lights (all have written reviews, first two have videos, the second one is a bit long - sorry):

The YN600 units have some definite issues when running on batteries and the fans can be problematic in quite situations. OTOH, they are a lot brighter. There are better alternatives.
Hey Dave. Funny, I actually bought the YN-300's after watching your reviews online a few weeks ago. Great job btw. I also was under the impression that the newer model of the YN-300 had the flickering problem fixed, so I'm guessing I received an older model that was leftover stock. This really sucks, because I ordered these for a wedding in 2 weeks, and I know for a fact that the reception is going to be dark. I hope I have enough time to order a new set, but I am afraid that I will end up receiving another set of the older ones. Do you think it'd be safer just to order the mark II? I was hoping that I wouldn't have to, since I will only be getting 1/2 of the LED's for tungsten and daylight. Also, I couldn't find anything online, but I'm guessing the flickering problem was fixed by the time the mark II was released, meaning none should have that problem, correct?.
Old December 13th, 2014, 06:16 AM   #5
Trustee

Quote:

Great write ups ...

Any chance you will do the same with the newly released YN900's ... 900 LED versions ? They are available in 5500k and 3300-5500k variations.
James Manford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2014, 06:23 AM   #6
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Manford View Post
Great write ups ...

Any chance you will do the same with the newly released YN900's ... 900 LED versions ? They are available in 5500k and 3300-5500k variations.
Thanks. They are on my list to do, but as ever, I have to buy them before I can review them.

Next up will be the Aputure Amaran 528 range which are the ones I choose to use over the Yongnuo LED lights, even though they are slightly more expensive. Hoping to have those up shortly.
Old December 13th, 2014, 06:30 AM   #7
Trustee

Al, what frequency / frame rates are you using on your cameras? I'll be happy to set my YN300 & YN300-II up here and do a quick test to see if mine have the same problems.

I'm assuming 60hz, but at you running at 23.98, 24, 29.97, 59.97?

Last edited by Dave Partington; December 13th, 2014 at 07:18 AM.
Dave Partington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2014, 06:57 AM   #8
Regular Crew

That would be great, Dave! I'm running at 23.976 fps and 1/47 shutter speed with Magic Lantern loaded.
Old December 13th, 2014, 09:27 AM   #9
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Wong View Post
That would be great, Dave! I'm running at 23.976 fps and 1/47 shutter speed with Magic Lantern loaded.
Well, the bad news is I'm unable to replicate the problem. I recorded a scene at 50%, 60%, 70%, 80%, 90% and 100% of the light and I'm not seeing any flicker. I even stepped through one frame at a time with a vector scope open looking exposure variations and there's nothing to suggest flicker at all.

When you use your YN300 are you also under other lighting conditions? Is it possible that your flicker is coming from the other lights in the room? Have you ever seen this flicker before (without the light) ?

I know that some lights products prior to about October 2013 had this issue, so it's possible you got an old one (did you buy it new), but I would have thought that this far on all the old stock would have gone.
Old December 13th, 2014, 10:49 AM   #10
Major Player

Quote:
I need something a little more portable for weddings, so the YN600 is a no go...
Hi Al,

Why do you feel that the YN600 is not portable enough for weddings? We use them for weddings all of the time. I love the remote for not only turning on and off, but adjusting the brightness. Additionally, we have been to some receptions where they use 3200k lighting for the events and then switch over to 4500-5600k lighting for the party. It is so great to be able to adjust the color balance from the remote.

For the events of the reception, depending on how large the dance floor is, I may go 15-30% with the YN600s, but then once the party kicks, I back them off quite a bit, maybe 5-10%. The batteries last for the entire reception using the YN600 like this.

I have two pairs of them. I removed the barn doors on the pair I use on lights stands near the dance floor. Without the barn doors, they look smaller, and as Dave pointed out, the barn doors are useless for controlling the light.

I have a second set that I use in a light kit for non weddings, and as Dave pointed out, I use diffusion paper clipped to the barn doors. I use a Lowel Rifa for the key light and then a couple of YN600s for the fill and hair light. I have never heard the fans kick on, but I guess I'm generally running the lights below 10% for interviews.
Old December 13th, 2014, 10:57 AM   #11
Major Player

I picked up an Aputure Amaran 672 bi-color LED a few weeks ago. It's their new line of 95+ CRI, which got me interested. Fanless operation, remote control, and small size were a consideration, as I wanted this to be part of a travel lighting kit. If you're looking for long throw, then the spot version would be the better option, but it's not a bi-color unit. For a general purpose light, I'm pretty happy with this one. I did a quick review here:

I tested it with shutter speeds of 1/2000 and didn't see any flicker, regardless of intensity.
Oren Arieli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2014, 02:48 PM   #12
Regular Crew

Quote:
Well, the bad news is I'm unable to replicate the problem. I recorded a scene at 50%, 60%, 70%, 80%, 90% and 100% of the light and I'm not seeing any flicker. I even stepped through one frame at a time with a vector scope open looking exposure variations and there's nothing to suggest flicker at all.

When you use your YN300 are you also under other lighting conditions? Is it possible that your flicker is coming from the other lights in the room? Have you ever seen this flicker before (without the light) ?

I know that some lights products prior to about October 2013 had this issue, so it's possible you got an old one (did you buy it new), but I would have thought that this far on all the old stock would have gone.
I actually tried the lights in different lighting conditions including in a pitch black room, so there is definitely something wrong with the YN-300's I have right now. I also have a pair of CN-160's, and tried them in the same lighting conditions dimmed down, with no flickering issues. It looks like I might of just been unlucky and received the older model. I bought them brand new off of Amazon. Thanks for testing it out for me, Dave. I really appreciate it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Von Lanken View Post
Hi Al,

Why do you feel that the YN600 is not portable enough for weddings? We use them for weddings all of the time. I love the remote for not only turning on and off, but adjusting the brightness. Additionally, we have been to some receptions where they use 3200k lighting for the events and then switch over to 4500-5600k lighting for the party. It is so great to be able to adjust the color balance from the remote.

For the events of the reception, depending on how large the dance floor is, I may go 15-30% with the YN600s, but then once the party kicks, I back them off quite a bit, maybe 5-10%. The batteries last for the entire reception using the YN600 like this.

I have two pairs of them. I removed the barn doors on the pair I use on lights stands near the dance floor. Without the barn doors, they look smaller, and as Dave pointed out, the barn doors are useless for controlling the light.

I have a second set that I use in a light kit for non weddings, and as Dave pointed out, I use diffusion paper clipped to the barn doors. I use a Lowel Rifa for the key light and then a couple of YN600s for the fill and hair light. I have never heard the fans kick on, but I guess I'm generally running the lights below 10% for interviews.
Hey Mark, the reason I say that the YN-600's are not portable enough is because there are times where I would need to mount an LED on top of my camera, and the YN-300 would be the better choice. I also heard that the fan noise could be a little loud, so I'm afraid that it might ruin the audio during speeches. Have you had any problems the fan noise?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oren Arieli View Post
I picked up an Aputure Amaran 672 bi-color LED a few weeks ago. It's their new line of 95+ CRI, which got me interested. Fanless operation, remote control, and small size were a consideration, as I wanted this to be part of a travel lighting kit. If you're looking for long throw, then the spot version would be the better option, but it's not a bi-color unit. For a general purpose light, I'm pretty happy with this one. I did a quick review here:Aputure Amaran 672c LED Video Light - YouTube

I tested it with shutter speeds of 1/2000 and didn't see any flicker, regardless of intensity.
Thanks Oren! I'll definitely look into the Apurtures!
Old December 13th, 2014, 03:08 PM   #13
Trustee

Quote:
Thanks Oren! I'll definitely look into the Apurtures!
I personally prefer the Aputure lights (sorry my reviews are not up yet - they're coming - promise!).

But:

• They are just as big as the YN600 and not really suitable for on-camera mounting

• Don't have barn doors if you want to mount diffusion paper

• Are not as bright as the YN600 and the 'C' (variable colour) version is not even as bright as the YN300

• The 528 series don't have remote controls - the newer model does

However:

• They don't have noisy fans

• They can charge batteries while you're using them plugged in to the wall

• They have a much more stable output
Old December 13th, 2014, 06:09 PM   #14
Major Player

Quote:

Hey Mark, the reason I say that the YN-600's are not portable enough is because there are times where I would need to mount an LED on top of my camera, and the YN-300 would be the better choice. I also heard that the fan noise could be a little loud, so I'm afraid that it might ruin the audio during speeches. Have you had any problems the fan noise?
Okay, that makes perfect sense. I would never put a YN600 on a camera. We use them on light stands. Most of our packages are multi camera dslr, and we do not use on camera lighting with those. One package is just one camera and in that case we do use an on camera light for the times when the action happens away from the dance floor. With the one camera package we use the YN300II on camera, in addition to the YN600s on light stand on the dance floor.

I run a feed from the board and a mic near the speaker system, so I don't rely on the on camera audio for the speeches.
Old December 15th, 2014, 03:16 AM   #15
Regular Crew

Sorry for the late reply guys. I was out of town over the weekend. Thanks for all the advice! One more question. Do you guys think I'd be able to get away with 2 or 3 YN-300II's on light stands for lighting up a reception dance floor and speeches, or do you think it'd be a safer bet with 2 YN600s or Aperture 528s?
Al Wong is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques