Anyone tempted to get a 1DC? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old February 23rd, 2015, 07:18 PM   #1
Trustee

Anyone tempted to get a 1DC?

Not only are they now selling for low prices (used for US$3500-$5000), but the cost of CF cards has dropped a lot over the last year. A Sandisk 128gb CF now costs something like $300, whereas a year ago it was closer to $700.

Andrew Reid over at EOSHD seems to have rethought his position and decided he's in love with the camera after all.

Anyone tempted? Or, given a choice between an a7s and used 1DC, assuming they can be had for the same price, does a7s win?

Last edited by Adrian Tan; February 23rd, 2015 at 09:31 PM. Reason: typo
Adrian Tan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2015, 09:21 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Re: Anyone tempted to get a 1DC?

I'd be curious to see the follow up to the 1DC first
Christian Nachtrieb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2015, 09:30 PM   #3
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christian Nachtrieb View Post
I'd be curious to see the follow up to the 1DC first
Yep, I would wait at least until NAB. With the recent massive price drop, Canon seems a bit desperate to load those off before the show... which might indicate that there's a new 4K DSLR in the pipe.

-- peer
Old February 23rd, 2015, 09:35 PM   #4
Trustee

Actually, about the pricing -- I can see used ones on Amazon for US$9,000. I've seen apparently legitimate used ones sell for AU$7,000 on eBay. Andrew Reid mentions that Dan Chung and James Miller sold theirs for 3,500 pounds, which is about the same as AU$7,000 (=US$5,500). And one sold for AU$6,000 on Reduser.

The US$3,500 I mentioned in my first post, though (about AU$4,500) -- I looked into it, and it turned out to be a scam. "If something seems too good to be true..."
Adrian Tan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2015, 02:42 AM   #5
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrian Tan View Post
Or, given a choice between an a7s and used 1DC, assuming they can be had for the same price, does a7s win?
That sounds like a question that would end up in a 20 page thread over at Andrew's site :)
I think first of all, they are not the same price and never will be, the massive recent pricedrop indicates they are clearing stock and something new is coming but make no mistake, their new model will be priced accordingly again and then everyone just will stop talking about the camera because it will be out of the buying range of many wedding videographers. The 1DC is now also often compared with other camera's because you can get it cheaper second hand but that's like finding a old porsche and asking if a new toyota would beat it if it would be the same price :) When you compare camera's, you should take the new price into consideration and don't forget the fact that you don't have any warranty on those second hand camera's.

But even if it stays at 8K or get's cheaper or if you can get it cheaper second hand then a a7s, I really don't see what is so appealing about this camera, from what I understand it's a real handful to shoot video with the only benefit that it can shoot lovely images. Ray Roman uses a 1Dc and two 5D's, he has the 1DC because he can afford it and he probably makes so much money he had to buy expensive toy's (which is how he calls his camera's) for tax write off's but do you think his clients complain about the fact he also "only" has 5D's and that the image of this camera is inferior? It certainly doesn't stop him charging 9K+ for his work.

If I had 8K to burn (which is the newprice of a 1DC currently) and it had to be a canon I certainly would go for a c100 and a set of nice lenses, that camera at least has all you need to shoot weddings, even if it's "only" 8bit avchd and it's image looks more then nice enough to me.
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2015, 04:58 AM   #6
Inner Circle

Pity it's a scam

Sometimes they are so ridiculous I doubt whether anyone would fall for them. I get the occasional email from someone called Angel in China with a bucketload of offers like IPhone 6+ for $150.00 and a Canon5D body only for $385.00 ..Are people really that stupid?
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2015, 05:12 AM   #7
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrian Tan View Post
Actually, about the pricing -- I can see used ones on Amazon for US$9,000
How can that be, the 1DC is new 8000 dollar now?
Old February 24th, 2015, 10:52 AM   #8
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noa Put View Post
Ray Roman uses a 1Dc and two 5D's, he has the 1DC because he can afford it and he probably makes so much money he had to buy expensive toy's (which is how he calls his camera's) for tax write off's but do you think his clients complain about the fact he also "only" has 5D's and that the image of this camera is inferior? It certainly doesn't stop him charging 9K+ for his work.

After I watched Ray Roman's Creative Live series and saw that his b cameras were 5D3s, it definitely made me think differently about what will help me make more money. He does have some nice L lenses and most of his other gear is quite good as well. However, he kept reiterating that it comes down to lighting and composition. He definitely went over the importance of good audio, tack sharp focus, well exposed footage, etc. But overall it seemed like the main focus was on using his knowledge of lighting and composition to get really good footage.

I honestly think that most large sensor cameras can be used to make a great wedding video if used correctly. I think that now (more than ever) it's about what you do with the camera and not which camera you use. Of course it's still fun to talk about which ones are better :)
Michael Silverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2015, 11:04 AM   #9
Inner Circle

I find a 1DC overkill for weddings, way too much overpriced and horrible ergonomics for video use. Unless you also need it to shoot photos at weddings it otherwise is just a bad investment.
Old February 24th, 2015, 11:44 AM   #10
Major Player

I would not buy the 1DC. Rumors indicate the 5DMIV will be 4K and be in the $4,000 range.

If you want 4K now, GH4 seems to be the way to go in the "DSLR" style route.

Meanwhile the more I play around with the Sony AX100 at Best Buy... the more I like that guy, especially at $1698. That coupled with some Sony AX33s at $1,000 each would made a nice 4K kit.

Personally, I'm waiting to see what's coming up in the next 30-60 days... all kinds of 4K stuff is being announced.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques