DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Wedding / Event Videography Techniques (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/)
-   -   Good starter Cam for Video (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/527025-good-starter-cam-video.html)

Steve Burkett March 3rd, 2015 09:12 AM

Re: Good starter Cam for Video

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nigel Barker (Post 1878603)
You don't need XLR inputs if you are using wireless mics. The advantage of XLR balanced inputs is when using long leads & minimising interference but if the wireless receiver is on the camera then the question is moot. Actually I just Googled on some images f the AX100 & can't see a cold shoe so I am not certain how you would mount a wireless receiver in any case.

Fair do's. I suppose I should have said proper audio inputs with separate volume controls. I maybe wrong, but when there are XLR / large jack inputs on cameras, you usually get a lovely selection of audio controls to quickly adjust those inputs, including those of any wireless mics. I can plug my Seinheisser G3 into my GH4, but alas whilst I can monitor audio levels during recording, I can't adjust them live. Does the AX100 have that facility, to adjust the audio levels on inputs during recording? It's not an issue for me as the AX100 are to be secondary locked off cameras, but I suppose if Phil did invest in any wirless mic, it would be an issue for him and where the AC-90 excels.

Michael Silverman March 3rd, 2015 10:35 AM

I agree with Steve that adjusting audio on cameras with no XLRs is often much more difficult. I have a Canon G20 and I only use it for reference audio because there are no dials to adjust volume. On my C100s I have XLRs with manual dials that make it much more convenient.

If I were buying a camera and I knew I needed to monitor audio I would definitely spend the extra money to get one with XLR inputs. However, I'm sure there are people that have had success adjusting audio with cameras that have a 3.5mm jack but I'm not one of them :)

Peter Rush March 3rd, 2015 10:59 AM

The AX100 seems to have Sony's proprietary hot shoe that only fits sony accessories - same as CX730/PJXXX Cameras. The official Sony adapters to standard cold shoe are very expensive, you can get copies from ebay but the quality is variable to say thre least.

Noa Put March 3rd, 2015 11:45 AM

On the sony site I see that the Multi-Interface Shoe Adapter is only 25 dollar, haven't looked at the ax100 accessory list before but I see some interesting stuff, but at expensive prices :)

Like that Bluetooth Microphone (transmitter) or that Remote Control Tripod.

Dave Blackhurst March 3rd, 2015 02:26 PM

Let me clarify the "shoe'" question....

Older Sony cams used a proprietary shoe referred to as "AiS" or advanced interface shoe - it was an odd size, but you could pick up Chinese adapters quite cheaply to turn it into a cold shoe. The AIS shoe has 10 contacts allowing one to buy SONY accessories that interface to it, including a couple different mics and a bluetooth wireless mic (again proprietary). The contacts are mirrored in the A/V jack interface, more or less.

Cue forward to the current generation Sony cameras... in 2013-2014 Sony abandoned the old proprietary Minolta shoe on the Alpha SLT cameras, and at the same time abandoned the AiShoe, replacing both with a new MiShoe (Multi interface shoe), which shares general dimensions with a traditional shoe (with a notable exception on the AX100, where the shoe is "keyed"). Again, the 10 contacts as above are present for SONY accessories, mirrored in the "MULTI" port, which is actually a micro USB with a second row of 10 contacts which are accessed by special SONY accessory cables.

All that said, unless you are a bit of a hacker, accessing the functionality on the ports with anything other than SONY accessories is hit or miss, and there are notable differences between the Sony MULTI port between Sony divisions (Cybershot/Alpha/Handycam). I have that W1M, and it does have a mic input on the transmitter, seems to sort of work with a couple of the lavs I have, but not others... it's in the kit "just in case", but I've grown fond of small digital recorders...

And after all that, I remember I was going to post my simple and cheap "DIY" shoe adapters for the AX100, and was never able to upload photos... I have a single, and a triple, less than $20 to buy the parts, and about 15 minutes with a small moto-tool, they work great to add a cold shoe/shoes for lights/mic/whatever...

Sadly, I STILL cannot upload files successfully... so I can't show off my spiffy cold shoe adapter/mounts! I know Chris tried to fix it... but still broken, I guess. I'll try from a different computer if anyone is really that interested!

Dave Blackhurst March 3rd, 2015 02:45 PM

And Phil, sorry to toss a wrench in the gears <wink> (US for spanner in the works!), but I'll admit to rather liking the overall "package" and balance that the AX100 represents. It replaced several other cameras for me, and honestly I enjoy shooting with it a LOT, with the 4K quality being a huge bonus once I worked the kinks out of shutter speed!

I may pick up an AX33 somewhere along the way for what it does (Magic Eyeball IS!), but it would be a complementary cam... and an RX Cybershot with 4K would be my preferred choice, should one ever become available, or should firmware ever appear to upgrade the ones I've already GOT!

There are certain cameras that just seem to get most everything "right", and the AX100 and RX10 are two that hit that sweet spot - neither is "perfect", but the quibbles are generally so small that once you start using them, you are too "busy" enjoying shooting again that you forget the minor "bumps". I do still spit nails at Sony for not implementing 4K in the RX10 and RX100, as they would better round out the "kit" with the AX100, but the 1080/60p XAVCS is quite nice...

Phil Stanley March 4th, 2015 03:17 AM

Thanks for all the feedback, one area that initially concerns is AF

Will the AX100 when in auto focus follow a Bride and groom when walking up the aisle.

Thanks Phil

Phil Stanley March 6th, 2015 08:21 AM

My choice AX100

I went for an AX100 in the end, thanks to all the input from everyone, should be here tomorrow.

also bagged an EM5 ll to play with

Noa Put March 6th, 2015 08:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phil Stanley (Post 1878708)
Thanks for all the feedback, one area that initially concerns is AF

Will the AX100 when in auto focus follow a Bride and groom when walking up the aisle.

Thanks Phil

The dof of a ax100 will be a lot deeper then a 5dIII so focus should not be so much of a issue, you also will notice very soon it will be impossible to match up the em5II and the ax100 if you plan on using them together for videon the resolution difference will be very obvious.

Phil Stanley March 6th, 2015 08:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Noa Put (Post 1878876)
The dof of a ax100 will be a lot deeper then a 5dIII so focus should not be so much of a issue, you also will notice very soon it will be impossible to match up the em5II and the ax100 if you plan on using them together for videon the resolution difference will be very obvious.

Thanks Noa, the EM5 will my carry everywhere camera won't be used for video except a bit of fun stuff, I'll be getting a second Camcorder at some point to compliment the AX100

Possibly will be an AXP33, or maybe an RX10 people seem to like those unless there are any other suggestions for matching with the Ax100

Steve Burkett March 6th, 2015 10:16 AM

Stick with the same brand unless colour editing is your thing. Plus any additional camera you look to buy, just try and find some original footage via Vimeo; or even Youtube if the former doesn't reveal anything. Download the files and work with them in the edit suite. I'm doing much the same with AX100 footage that I've downloaded, and which I'm testing against my GH4.