Ceremony-Only Packages? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old February 25th, 2015, 01:07 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Ceremony-Only Packages?

How many of you offer a Package that only includes Ceremony Coverage?
I may include some "Getting Ready" footage, but by "Ceremony-Only," I mean that coverage
stops following the ceremony...no reception coverage whatsoever.

I have been offering this for years, but am considering removing this package altogether since it is the least popular, least enjoyable, and least profitable.

I believe in having an "entry level" option, but I feel this is too bare bones.
Ian Atkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2015, 01:17 PM   #2
Trustee

Re: Ceremony-Only Packages?

I only offer it for short notice or off days. I have only done it once, and it was $500, just me, 3 camera, and on site for maybe 2 hours total. 6 hours of work total. It was nice, but I wouldn't want to try and make a living that way, but as a fill-in, sure.
Robert Benda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2015, 02:02 PM   #3
Inner Circle

The problem you might have is when you get booked 10 weeks in a row for a ceremony only you won't be making any money and at the day of the wedding you usually can't accept anything else. I now just have one package, full day coverage, take it or leave it :) and by doing so I ensure that when I get booked I maximize my income for that day.
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2015, 05:46 PM   #4
Inner Circle

I still do a ceremony package which covers them from the bridal arrival up to a little stedicam video shoot after the congratulations and it runs a max of 3 hours but as all my packages are event based not time based I usually score big time with ceremony only gigs as they are often done and dusted in an hour or so and for even 3 hours they are over priced as whether a gig is 1 hour or 10 hours it still has a basic start up cost. I like them as I get home early ..OK I don't make as much physically but I make a better profit
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2015, 01:55 AM   #5
Inner Circle

Same as Chris, I offer a ceremony only package starting 1 hour before the ceremony and continues up to one hour after at the same location. I mainly offer this so I can advertise 'Weddings starting from £ xxx' also I don't offer it May - September
Peter Rush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2015, 02:15 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Same as Chris. 3 hour max, so might be a bit of prep. or the whole photo shoot after but I like them and they are getting more popular.

Less work, less money but more profit. I don't care that I might be missing out on a longer package. First in, first served.
Old February 26th, 2015, 02:46 AM   #7
Trustee

If you have a reliable second shooter or two, you could ask them to do the job, so that you're still available for longer weddings.
Adrian Tan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2015, 05:23 AM   #8
Regular Crew

For those of you that offer ceremony-only coverage....how many packages do you have? I currently have four and feel this is too many. I think 3 or less is the sweet spot.
-Ian
Ian Atkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2015, 06:02 AM   #9
Major Player

My ceremony only package has been pretty popular.

$750 for up to 1 hour on site.

Includes 1 man, multiple cams, and editing.

I like it because it's simple and makes for a short day. I can edit it literally in about 2 days.

I have 3 categories - that, half day (4 hrs), and full day (8 hrs).

Last edited by Kyle Root; February 26th, 2015 at 06:03 AM. Reason: Info
Kyle Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2015, 06:21 AM   #10
Inner Circle

Ideally you need no more than 3 packages as any more than that and people cannot make up their mind.

I have 3 plus one (I keep the cheap ceremony package as a different category completely) and then have 3 "normal" wedding packages ... on for the budget bride with no prep ..just ceremony to end of first dance - around 6 hours ..the most popular is bridal prep thru to end of first dance - around 8 hours and then I offer a full love story package which is essentially the same as the lower one but includes a pre wedding shoot.

I gave up doing the reception right up to midnight two years ago .. I got tired of getting home at 1am!! and falling asleep at 3am!! With all normal packages I'm out of the reception by 9"00 - 9:30pm and still have time to backup footage, look at it and unwind and still get to bed by 11-12pm ..!!
Old February 26th, 2015, 06:54 AM   #11
Inner Circle

3 packages - Ceremony only, Ceremony to speeches, Ceremony to first dance

Pete
Old February 26th, 2015, 07:00 AM   #12
Trustee

3 packages: 6 hour, 9 hour, 12 hour.

Around here, 6 hour is enough for either getting ready and ceremony, or ceremony and reception.

So far, I've only offered the ceremony only option to one person, other than my DJ clients. That one person called me 6 weeks before her wedding, so I was happy to book the date.
Robert Benda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2015, 07:28 AM   #13
Inner Circle

Interesting Pete

So you never do bridal prep??? I find brides often want the girls getting ready but seldom want the guys getting ready!!

Wish I could do that ..prep is a pain as you have to have a cutoff time to allow you to set up at the ceremony!

Chris
Old February 26th, 2015, 09:21 AM   #14
Inner Circle

Chris I'll throw in some bridal prep if the bride is getting ready at the ceremony venue but if it's say a church wedding then it's extra as I need to bring an assistant, can't be in two places at the same time :/
Old February 26th, 2015, 06:30 PM   #15
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noa Put View Post
The problem you might have is when you get booked 10 weeks in a row for a ceremony only you won't be making any money and at the day of the wedding you usually can't accept anything else. I now just have one package, full day coverage, take it or leave it :) and by doing so I ensure that when I get booked I maximize my income for that day.

Hey Noa, has that worked out for you? I know it sounds like a silly question, but in America, seems people like choice. I wonder if your culture's expectations are little different. Just curious.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques