USB to TV how? - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old March 3rd, 2015, 01:53 AM   #31
Trustee

Re: USB to TV how?

OK Bingo!!
Got the feature 45 minute film to play on USB 4 GB stick
Settings.
Premiere pro, media encoder, 1280 x 720 HD setting 25 progressive, target bit-rate 6 max 12 maximum render, the file came out at 2.60 GB , which is less than i thought. No stuttering on HD TV, quality great and as good as a blu-ray.
Tried on three different TVs, and all good, all good in laptops, Bobs your uncle!!
So late today i am going back to full HD setting but going to try the bit-rate at same settings target 6 max 12 to see if i can get it in just under the 4 gb aloud for fat 32 system. I figure use all these settings and the client will have no messing around just slot in TVs and laptops without pestering us!!
Steve Bleasdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2015, 06:35 AM   #32
Inner Circle

These simple low cost HD media players have been around for more than a couple of years. http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-...ml#post1745089

We were giving them out at one time. I think that trying to cover all the bases with some universal format is impossible unless it's DVD or Blu-ray disc. Just give them the basic files & let them get on with it. Most people in the relevant demographic for wedding videos are going to be computer savvy enough to be able to copy the files to their intended devices without hand holding them all the way.

Taky's solution is clever & a nice way of packaging up the video files but is by no means foolproof & will still require the user to have sufficient knowledge to play the files on their tablet or TV etc & is never going to be as simple as putting a disc into a player.
Nigel Barker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2015, 06:38 AM   #33
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bleasdale View Post
OK Bingo!!
Got the feature 45 minute film to play on USB 4 GB stick
Settings.
Premiere pro, media encoder, 1280 x 720 HD setting 25 progressive, target bit-rate 6 max 12 maximum render, the file came out at 2.60 GB , which is less than i thought. No stuttering on HD TV, quality great and as good as a blu-ray.
Tried on three different TVs, and all good, all good in laptops, Bobs your uncle!!
So late today i am going back to full HD setting but going to try the bit-rate at same settings target 6 max 12 to see if i can get it in just under the 4 gb aloud for fat 32 system. I figure use all these settings and the client will have no messing around just slot in TVs and laptops without pestering us!!
You can easily squeeze the bit rate down lower. If it looks good enough to you on Vimeo then get Vimeo to compress it for you. Just upload the original file to Vimeo then download the file they encoded. Last time I looked Vimeo used just 5Mbps for both 1920x1080p & 1280x720p.
Old March 3rd, 2015, 07:43 AM   #34
Trustee

Ah OK great Nigel thank you got the hang of it now cheers. Steve
Old March 4th, 2015, 03:57 AM   #35
Trustee

UPDATE
OK, so for the record if it helps others, i went through encoder again with a full HD setting 1080 x 1920, 25 frames, progressive VBR 2, target bit-rate 6, max 12, the file size came out at 3. 40 GB, played in the TV and all laptops but found that it stuttered slightly only slightly so i tried the 1280 x 720 HD setting again but 8 target bit-rate and 12 max and it played better on the TV.
So in the future i will use that setting, that way all my clients will get the DVD plus the USB with the 1280 x 720 HD setting so i am sure it will play in all TV. I have tried the USB in all 5 different TV and all work superbly. Steve
Old March 4th, 2015, 05:45 AM   #36
Inner Circle

Nice work steve - so that's playing directly into the TV from a USB?

Regarding 1280 X 720 - what do you tell your clients - do you just tell them it's HD and leave it at that? - do clients even know the difference between 720 and 1080?

Pete
Peter Rush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2015, 07:18 AM   #37
Inner Circle

I did some searching and found media players with SD card reader slots in the $25-$35 range. They had HDMI out and a few also had "AutoPlay" to use for digital signage. Would something like that be an alternative? You could preload the video on a SD card and set the player to autoplay it when powered up. No worrying about video compatibility.

The ones I checked out were about the size of a deck of playing cards.
Old March 4th, 2015, 10:27 AM   #38
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Medico View Post
I did some searching and found media players with SD card reader slots in the $25-$35 range. They had HDMI out and a few also had "AutoPlay" to use for digital signage. Would something like that be an alternative? You could preload the video on a SD card and set the player to autoplay it when powered up. No worrying about video compatibility.

The ones I checked out were about the size of a deck of playing cards.
They work well although the remotes are pretty crappy. As I noted in an earlier reply we used to give them out at one time before realising that none of our clients were so technically challenged that they couldn't figure out how to download a file from Dropbox. What they did with it afterwards was up to them. We always provided Blu-ray & DVD so the HD files were just a freebie. http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-...ml#post1745089
Old March 4th, 2015, 04:26 PM   #39
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Rush View Post
Nice work steve - so that's playing directly into the TV from a USB?

Regarding 1280 X 720 - what do you tell your clients - do you just tell them it's HD and leave it at that? - do clients even know the difference between 720 and 1080?

Pete
Hi Peter,
Yes the 4 GB USB straight into the TV and plays lovely, if the film is more than one hour you may have to drop the bit-rate again, but my 45/50 minute film came in at 3.25 GB on the higher bit-rate so you can drop down and still keep the quality.
Yes i will just say its HD, your right they don't know the difference but i must say 1280 x 720 looks great...
Old May 17th, 2019, 08:33 AM   #40
Major Player

It's been a few years now. so things may have changed a bit. How are you guys getting USB flash drives to work on TVs now?
David Banner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2019, 11:41 AM   #41
Major Player

I just did my first project on usb delivery and no complaints.

Usb stick is formatted as FAT32 so each chapter is maximum 4 GB.
MP4 video file. 720/50p video size. Didn't take the risk of 1080/50p. My 9 year old tv doesn't play that.

I does play 720/50p and blu ray is also 720/50p. Quality is as good as blu ray to me.

Usb 2.0 I use because USB 3.0 is too expensive. I used handbrake to make to 720P file.

When I switch my video gear to 4K I will start with 1080P video files.
Tom Van den Berghe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2019, 03:41 PM   #42
Major Player

Thanks Tom. That's a good idea. I probably should scale it down to 720p also.
I'm in usa so Is 720 30p safe enough or should I stick with 720 60p?
Old May 18th, 2019, 04:58 AM   #43
Major Player

David,

I never shoot 30P (25P) always 60/50P because sometimes I slowmo my video to 50% in post.
Tom Van den Berghe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2019, 07:25 PM   #44
Major Player

Yeah I was going to shoot in 60p but for USB delivery I was considering exporting the videos in 30p to save space, unless it is somehow less compatible with USB playback on TV.
I know if delivery was via blu-ray I'd have to export according to one of the limited blu-ray standards, but since this is usb flash drive ....?
Old November 24th, 2019, 05:57 AM   #45
Major Player

A customer had problems to play some files from a USB stick I made.
FAT 32 and MP4 file 720P. The strange thing is that some files play and others don't.

First I made a 1080p MP4 from my editing software (vegas moviestudio) and then in handbrake I shrink this to 720P mp4 so I can fit everything on this usb stick.

Is the problem that maybe some files were filmed with another camcorder and is a specific code the problem? But I would guess the file I render to is that is important and not the source.

It was a sony Bravia tv that couldn't play all files and my camcorders are sony camcorders and 1 panasonic camcorder.
Tom Van den Berghe is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques