Will you take this gig? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old March 9th, 2015, 07:47 AM   #16
Inner Circle

Re: Will you take this gig?

I think it's a ridiculous ad. Danny has it nailed. These are problem clients, IMO and I wouldn't touch them.

Why can they not simply shop videographers rather than run an ad? It seems to me either they or the photogs are control freaks. I wouldn't be surprised if they have called around and been rejected by established videographers.
Old March 10th, 2015, 04:55 AM   #17
Trustee

Problem client, stay well out of the way of this lot. I don't care about their honesty, I prefer professionalism and respect.
James Manford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2015, 05:21 AM   #18
Major Player

With this sort of gig there is also the chance that the tog could be a diva and deliberately try and prove a point about how video is the worst thing in the world.

We had a job once that we took. Keen couple but then the day comes and they confess that the photos are more important and they told us to stay out of the way. They also told the tog he is the most important.

He was an absolute Maria Carey diva. We did all we could to stay out of the way and he still got us in shot (on purpose) and goes to the client "Look, LOOK! Thats what happens when you have 'Veedeeoh People'!".

He even had the cheek that the very first thing he said to us, before we even said Hi and exchanged pleasantries was "The couple did tell you im more important didnt they?".

Happy ending though. They didnt like his photos and raved about how much they loved the film more than the photos. But still, never again would I touch a job like that. I didnt become self employed to be stuck working with tossers.
Old March 10th, 2015, 05:25 AM   #19
Trustee

Had a good laugh reading that Danny. I can imagine.

Yet to come across a tog like that.

Just wish everyone got along pleasantly ... it's so pathetic. We are all there to provide a service and go home.
James Manford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2015, 06:26 AM   #20
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny O'Neill View Post
With this sort of gig there is also the chance that the tog could be a diva and deliberately try and prove a point about how video is the worst thing in the world.

We had a job once that we took. Keen couple but then the day comes and they confess that the photos are more important and they told us to stay out of the way. They also told the tog he is the most important.

He was an absolute Maria Carey diva. We did all we could to stay out of the way and he still got us in shot (on purpose) and goes to the client "Look, LOOK! Thats what happens when you have 'Veedeeoh People'!".

He even had the cheek that the very first thing he said to us, before we even said Hi and exchanged pleasantries was "The couple did tell you im more important didnt they?".

Happy ending though. They didnt like his photos and raved about how much they loved the film more than the photos. But still, never again would I touch a job like that. I didnt become self employed to be stuck working with tossers.
The problem I have is that I never meet the tog until the day, I always ask who they are using but if it's someone I don't know then anything can happen - I once had a tog who insisted I not come along on the couple's photoshoot in case I treated him as an unpaid 'master class'!!!! cheeky sod - he was actually quite rude to people and ultra bossy!

I am fortunate as I have made quite a few friends of local photographers who recommend me - best of both worlds!
Peter Rush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2015, 01:10 PM   #21
Inner Circle

Great story, Danny, nice ending.
Old March 10th, 2015, 04:11 PM   #22
Major Player

The WORST that you can do is shoot the gig and have the footage end up EXACTLY like the job description calls for.

You might do a lot better and surprise people.

Take the job, make sure your contract has a cancellation provision, (so if it really is a money thing, you have something in your pocket (liquidated damages) when they run out of dough near wedding day and see you as the first thing to cut).

Do your best and move on. You might learn something, too!
Tim Paynter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2015, 04:56 PM   #23
Major Player

Personally speaking, I read the ad and think "cool, I don't have to work hard for this one".

Basically with the restraints, its a licence to stand at the back and get really basic footage. Zero stress, no pressure.

Also... no pride either. ANd for me sometimes, the pride is more enjoyable than the cheque.
Clive McLaughlin is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques