DVD Style Menu with Vimeo at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old March 23rd, 2015, 03:40 PM   #1
Inner Circle

DVD Style Menu with Vimeo

I was playing with the idea to get my HTML5 menu system to tie to videos hosted at vimeo.com. Got it to work. The only draw back is, when the video finished playing, I can't get it back to the menu screen. Viewer has to click on the "Back" button. But hey, I'm already paying for vimeo hosting video. Sweet solution.

Menu are from my own web site. All links point to vimeo.com

Michelle & Calvin - LA Color Films

I will have my HTML5 code packaged as template for sale soon. :)
Old March 24th, 2015, 03:24 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: DVD Style Menu with Vimeo

I would be interested in purchasing that - nice work :)

Pete
Peter Rush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2015, 07:48 AM   #3
Trustee

That looks great!

So if I were to roll this out to clients, I would need to pay for hosting to upload a HTML5 menu, and then upload the full film on to Vimeo.

I guess it would be great as an extra service for say 2 weeks where the client can let family and friends view the full film.

It would be too expensive for someone like me to host indefinitely.
James Manford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2015, 10:12 AM   #4
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Manford View Post
That looks great!

So if I were to roll this out to clients, I would need to pay for hosting to upload a HTML5 menu, and then upload the full film on to Vimeo.

I guess it would be great as an extra service for say 2 weeks where the client can let family and friends view the full film.

?????!!!!! Hosting a website costs peanuts. Hosting the video on Vimeo costs peanuts too.

Surely you must already have a website & be using Vimeo? The incremental cost of implementing this would be zero (after paying Taky for his template).
Nigel Barker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2015, 10:15 AM   #5
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Manford View Post
That looks great!

James. what I am offering is the HTML5 menu generator. I use it myself with the wireless thumbdrive i'm selling at well. The wireless thumbdrive is good for sharing with client using smart phones, iphones etc. They don't need to plug the flash drive to the mobile device.

So it's a step next I just want to try if it's possible to tie the menu to vimeo as many people already have vimeo account.

If you run a studio, you might already have a web hosting account. Some cost as low as $1 a month. Basic vimeo is free. Or Vimeo Plus is also just $5 a month.
Old March 24th, 2015, 11:18 AM   #6
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nigel Barker View Post
?????!!!!! Hosting a website costs peanuts. Hosting the video on Vimeo costs peanuts too.

Surely you must already have a website & be using Vimeo? The incremental cost of implementing this would be zero (after paying Taky for his template).
Hi Nigel

I'm paying Wix for a pre-made website that I simply perform basic edits too. For some one like me I wouldn't be able to host a HTML5 webpage for a bride.

And yes, the vimeo part is fine. But i'll be wasting a lot of time uploading a whole film on to Vimeo.

This will only work for me if I can get more money off my brides. Otherwise it's a great novelty. I'm not knocking the concept, I love it. But it's not for me.
Old March 24th, 2015, 11:19 AM   #7
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nigel Barker View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taky Cheung View Post
James. what I am offering is the HTML5 menu generator. I use it myself with the wireless thumbdrive i'm selling at well. The wireless thumbdrive is good for sharing with client using smart phones, iphones etc. They don't need to plug the flash drive to the mobile device.

So it's a step next I just want to try if it's possible to tie the menu to vimeo as many people already have vimeo account.

If you run a studio, you might already have a web hosting account. Some cost as low as $1 a month. Basic vimeo is free. Or Vimeo Plus is also just $5 a month.
I will most probably buy the template just because of the thumb drive facility.
Old March 24th, 2015, 11:43 AM   #8
Inner Circle

James, how did you currently deliver your film to your clients? Just curious to see there is anything I can help making it easier. :)
Old March 26th, 2015, 12:24 PM   #9
Regular Crew

Looks really slick. Encore has an option for outputting to a web page, but I found it took way to long to load once it was embedded on a page. I have been curious to find another solution.

As far as going back to the menu. You could set the video in vimeo to show a link back to the menu at the end of the video. In settings -> embed settings -> in the outro section select show a link. You can then set a the text that you want to appear and where you want the link to point.

I also just found this project put out by mozilla. It is called Popcorn Maker.
https://popcorn.webmaker.org/en-US/editor/

It allows you to pull in your vimeo or youtube video and add dynamic links to the video, even bring in live google maps. Could be an interesting tool to use to make like a remote that would have the option to go back to the menu or skip to the next chapter. I have not played with it yet to see how it works.
Old March 27th, 2015, 01:23 PM   #10
Inner Circle

Update Update!

I messed with Vimeo player API and was able to use their API call to check when the video finished play back. Then will return to the previous menu screen. It is working. This feature will now be part of the HTML5 Menu Generator.

You can see it here http://takybox.com/vimeo

All HTML files are hosted in my own website. But when playing video, they are pulled from vimeo, Sweet!
Old March 30th, 2015, 07:02 PM   #11
New Boot

Taky,

I've been following your progress and it looks great. Do you know when you will be offering the template for sale? Thanks!

Kevin
Kevin Fonash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2015, 07:19 PM   #12
Inner Circle

Kevin, thanks. It is already available. Let me send you a message.
Old March 30th, 2015, 07:23 PM   #13
Inner Circle

hmm I'm on my phone and don't how how to send PM here. Kevin can you email me at info@lacolorpros.com. Thanks
Old March 31st, 2015, 09:24 AM   #14
Major Player

I have Emailed you as well.
Old April 2nd, 2015, 12:28 PM   #15
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taky Cheung View Post
James, how did you currently deliver your film to your clients? Just curious to see there is anything I can help making it easier. :)
Hi Taky

Missed your reply, sorry!

I currently deliver DVD or Bluray for the tech savvy couples that want HD. I rarely deliver on USB.
James Manford is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques