The "sigh" reply... at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old March 28th, 2015, 07:47 PM   #1
Regular Crew

The "sigh" reply...

"We came across your website and we love your footage! It looks amazing. We have a budget of $1000, I was wondering would you all be able to provide us service within the budgeted amount?"

Sigh.

I bite my tongue with my replies to these emails :)
Ian Atkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2015, 02:54 AM   #2
Major Player

Re: The "sigh" reply...

At least they ask. Its the stories I read here where they try to screw you that gets me.
Donald McPherson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2015, 04:34 AM   #3
Inner Circle

At least she is upfront and tells you her budget. I don't mind those brides at all ...of course they are likely to just get ceremony coverage and that's all so I just offer what is fair. They are only trying their luck if you clearly state your prices and packages ..if you don't display prices then how do they know whether you are a $1000 guy or a $5000 guy??
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2015, 04:35 AM   #4
Inner Circle

Had one just last week - 'Our budget only goes as far as your half day package' (up to the speeches) 'so could we have that but maybe stay and film the first dance'

Honestly

Pete
Peter Rush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2015, 06:17 AM   #5
Inner Circle

Hi Pete

You are upfront with your packages and prices so she is simply trying her luck and won't get it. My attitude is we don't discount our prices ,,if you cannot afford a package then simply choose a lower priced one with less coverage. My favourites are Middle Eastern brides "We want your $1995.00 package but we need you for 3 extra hours and we are prepared to pay $995 for everything" They just get a "sorry we are booked already for that date"

I did have a bride who asked me for a discounted price on a package and I refused telling her we don't discount our prices ..she booked us anyway but confessed to me that a lot of her suppliers dropped the price at least 10% just because she asked them for a discount. "No harm in asking" she said...it saved her a bundle of money

Chris
Old March 29th, 2015, 07:54 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Chris, I actually decided recently to just go ahead and post prices on the website. In part, hoping to avoid emails like this.
I used to agree with the "no harm in asking" approach. But honestly, there are times where I take
slight offense to questions like this. Not because they have a budget. I respect that.

But because we are artists. We offer a value. And we have carefully determined how to present that value in a way that sustains our business, makes us competitive, and allows us to hone our craft. While I could understand asking for a discount, sometimes I get aggravated when I feel low-balled.

Maybe I'm just unusually ornery this weekend, but I don't look at the menu for Ruth's Chris Steak House when I know my wallet will only allow a Big Mac.

But, I smiled (as always) in my reply and offered my "Ceremony Only" package ;)
Ian Atkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2015, 10:45 AM   #7
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Atkins View Post
Chris, I actually decided recently to just go ahead and post prices on the website. In part, hoping to avoid emails like this.
I used to agree with the "no harm in asking" approach. But honestly, there are times where I take
slight offense to questions like this. Not because they have a budget. I respect that.

But because we are artists. We offer a value. And we have carefully determined how to present that value in a way that sustains our business, makes us competitive, and allows us to hone our craft. While I could understand asking for a discount, sometimes I get aggravated when I feel low-balled.

Maybe I'm just unusually ornery this weekend, but I don't look at the menu for Ruth's Chris Steak House when I know my wallet will only allow a Big Mac.

But, I smiled (as always) in my reply and offered my "Ceremony Only" package ;)
I've had several already this quarter. I've actually been fussed at for not lowering my prices to the point they wanted. Well, what can I say, I have to eat and pay bills.

Hey Ian, we should get together at some point and do lunch if you're ever my way. Maybe we can collaborate on projects. I'm in Chesterfield, less than an hour without being pulled by the sheriff on I64.
Old March 29th, 2015, 06:57 PM   #8
Inner Circle

Hi Ian

Pushing the artistry aside it's still a business and besides making you a living and looking after your family it also needs to make a profit too!

When the plumber arrives at their house to fix a burst water pipe I wonder if they try to negotiate with him too?? For me it's simple .. I cost correctly and that's what you pay if you want my services.. case closed.

If you don't at least show a price range on your website the bride probably isn't being cheap asking what you can give her for $1000 ... that's her budget and if she comes across sites that say "email me for a quote" she is saving herself a lot of useless replies from people out of her price range.

I like the idea of prices up front so you don't attract the wrong type of bride
Old March 30th, 2015, 11:55 PM   #9
Trustee

Clients pretty much always ask me for a discount.

To be honest, I think it's like this: (a) they don't realise all that goes into it -- "Isn't it just carrying a camera around and pressing a button?"; (b) they believe the price you're setting is arbitrary, and therefore that there's room to move; (c) they don't value video in the first place.

I don't know if we can do that much about "c", though many have tried...

But maybe we can do something about "a" and "b" -- what if videographers explained to clients exactly why they charge what they charge?

Or is that giving away too much?
Adrian Tan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2015, 04:41 PM   #10
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrian Tan View Post
Clients pretty much always ask me for a discount.

To be honest, I think it's like this: (a) they don't realise all that goes into it -- "Isn't it just carrying a camera around and pressing a button?"; (b) they believe the price you're setting is arbitrary, and therefore that there's room to move; (c) they don't value video in the first place.

I don't know if we can do that much about "c", though many have tried...

But maybe we can do something about "a" and "b" -- what if videographers explained to clients exactly why they charge what they charge?

Or is that giving away too much?
I've seen a videographer do similar on his website, though I didn't really think his footage was very good. He did at least comment about the reasons videographers cost what they do and made a very good argument for us. I thought that was a nice touch and probably stopped similar emails from coming his way.
Craig McKenna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2015, 06:28 PM   #11
Major Player

I've had both types, some just don't quibble and say thats fine, can I book, others want to lowball and are chancing their arm. I've refused people that dont like the price - fair enough go away and get someone else!! I had one bride that almost booked me then went searching for someone else and came back asking me to match her find, I refused and I think she ended up with no video! it's swings and roundabouts! or to put it another way, sometimes your the bug other times your the windshield!

:-)
Old April 2nd, 2015, 12:26 PM   #12
Trustee

Ever since I put a price range up i've had fewer enquiries, but those fewer enquiries I got were fewer TIME wasters.

It's a pain in the back side writing quotations ... absolutely hate it. I just want to go to the event, film and edit. Leave the admin work to somebody else ( i wish ! )
James Manford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2015, 01:55 PM   #13
Inner Circle

I rarely get lowballers, but had one today. She called and told me the price she could pay, and she asked if I could come down in price. I encouraged her to find someone in her price range.
Old April 11th, 2015, 08:35 PM   #14
Inner Circle

Hi Jeff

I got one yesterday and the grammar in her email was awful ..For me that's already a red flag ... plus she wanted just a ceremony for way below my package price. I'd told her "sadly we are already booked" (I didn't have to lie either as we were booked on her day)

I guess if you don't ask you won't get and some weekend warrior will no doubt do her ceremony video for a couple of hundred bucks.

Chris
Chris Harding is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques