DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Wedding / Event Videography Techniques (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/)
-   -   Why do some of you use DSLRs? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/528153-why-do-some-you-use-dslrs.html)

Steve Burkett April 29th, 2015 07:42 AM

Re: Why do some of you use DSLRs?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anthony McErlean (Post 1884907)
Steve, you suggested the RX10.
I did a search on this forum for the RX10 and see it got good reviews.
What about a lens for it? does it come with one fitted?

Yes it does - it's a fixed lens camera but one with a constant 2.8 aperture across it's quite impressive zoom, very useful for filming Weddings where dark interiors are quite common. If it did 4K, I'd have one myself.

Anthony McErlean April 29th, 2015 07:49 AM

Thanks Steve, good to know.
May I ask, do have an DSLR?

Steve Burkett April 29th, 2015 08:28 AM

I'm currently filming with a GH4, GH3 and 2 hacked GH2's for unlimited recording. There are strengths and weaknesses in such a line up and it lacks something like a AX100 or a RX10 that does 4K if such a thing existed, but it still works for me for now.

Anthony McErlean April 29th, 2015 08:54 AM

Thank you Steve.

Jeff Harper April 29th, 2015 09:23 AM

I said earlier I hated using DSLRs, but I forgot to mention I do use an RX10 as a third camera. In certain situations I use it as a primary cam, in dark ceremony venues, because I can zoom without the gain having to go up due to the constant F/2.8 aperture.

I also use it extensively for dancing at receptions as a handheld and it works very very well for that. It is a handy camera. It would be my first choice recommendation for someone who wants to dabble in DSLR, because the footage is so nice it you count on being able to match it with a lot of other cameras, especially Sonys.

Obviously, for the purists out there, the RX10 is NOT not a true DSLR camera, but instead is more of a fixed lens, point and shoot camera, but it operates about the same as a typical DSLR, and for all practical purposes is the same, IMO.

Anthony McErlean April 29th, 2015 11:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff Harper (Post 1884930)
I do use an RX10 as a third camera. In certain situations I use it as a primary cam, in dark ceremony venues, because I can zoom without the gain having to go up due to the constant F/2.8 aperture.

I also use it extensively for dancing at receptions as a handheld and it works very very well for that. It is a handy camera. It would be my first choice recommendation for someone who wants to dabble in DSLR, because the footage is so nice it you count on being able to match it with a lot of other cameras, especially Sonys.

Thanks Jeff, that is excellent news, that is what I was hoping to use it for too, along those lines.
How long can you record for on one card?
How long does the battery last?
I have a Sony PMW- 320 btw, so it should match up not so bad.

Thank you so much.

Jeff Harper April 29th, 2015 02:11 PM

Battery lasts about an hour, the two generics I bought are not bad, but I strongly prefer the real Sony batteries, they last a bit longer and I trust them.

I use a 32GB card, but can't tell you how much footage it will hold, it will vary with your settings. At least 3 or 4 hours I think, but since I started shooting in 60p I think it's less, but I don't really keep track. I only use it for about two hours total, most times.

Just get two good 32gb cards and I'm sure you'll be fine.

The poor battery life is a bummer, but I work around it, just like Noa does. He loves his RX10.

Anthony McErlean April 29th, 2015 03:17 PM

Thanks again Jeff, the RX10 is getting more attractive by the minute.
Thanks for the advice.
I'll do a search for Noa's posts.

Anthony McErlean April 29th, 2015 04:56 PM

I don't want this thread to start drifting away from the original post, so any questions I have regarding the RX-10 will be posted in the correct thread.

Thank you all again.

Dave Blackhurst April 30th, 2015 02:37 AM

Not to drift any further, but another vote for the RX10, it's a stupidly good camera for less than you could get a f/2.8 zoom lens for an SLR (if one were available with 24-200...). Used prices are very reasonable, and you can install the firmware update for higher bitrate XAVCS... we are all hoping someday for a 4K upgrade, since the sensor is basically the same one in the AX100, but no sign of any firmware update or the obvious "RX20" with 4K... so who knows. I bug Sony reps whenever I see one... they want it too...

As it is, great stills and excellent video, decently sized sensor, and great glass. I kept one SLR (SLT actually, being a Sony), but the RX10 is my first choice most of the time.

Anthony McErlean April 30th, 2015 06:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave Blackhurst (Post 1885023)
but the RX10 is my first choice most of the time.

Thank you Dave.

Jeff Harper April 30th, 2015 06:39 AM

BTW, Anthony, just so you are not surprised or disaappointed: the RX10 has a ridiculously slow zoom. Just be prepared for that. Some people don't mind it, some people dislike that aspect of the camera. Because it's rarely my primary camera I am ok with it, but I did hate that about it when I first got it, but have learned to work with it.

Anthony McErlean April 30th, 2015 07:12 AM

Thanks Jeff, for pointing that out to me,. Cant say for sure but don't think it would worry me that much either.
Like you, it won't be my primary camera anyway.

Thanks.