How Do You Choose to Shoot/Edit Reception Dancing? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old May 4th, 2015, 07:50 PM   #16
Inner Circle

Re: How Do You Choose to Shoot/Edit Reception Dancing?

Despite the extra money earned when you work until midnight, it does make a very long day so I dropped all my long packages about a year ago! If you finish around 9:00 -9:30pm you can pack up your gear and be home and download all your footage, relax and be tucked up in bed before midnight.

I found that waiting for the bride to leave meant I was getting home around 1:00am and by the time the footage was transferred it was nearly 2:00am and I was wide awake still so ended up only getting to bed at ridiculous hours and was a zombie the next day!

Doing it this way also limits the amount of footage that will be ruined by LED lighting and strobes!!

I'm with Pete on this one!!
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2015, 10:51 PM   #17
Trustee

Well some need their beauty sleep more than others. :) 5 hours is more than enough for me. Last year I finished a Wedding once at 3, home for 4. Straight to bed - footage downloads whilst I'm asleep. Up at 8 to do a few hours of editing, then was out with my brother and mates for a 15 mile walk. Way I see it, I'll get plenty of rest when I'm dead. :)
Steve Burkett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2015, 06:24 AM   #18
Regular Crew

Most of the weddings I'm hired to film include the full reception.
Most in my area have special exits (sparklers, bubbles, car, etc.) that is worth capture on video.

So, I'm stuck with covering most of the reception.

Here is the problem I've found with using anything but natural sound:
Most of the songs played at receptions either have a significant dance step (i.e. Wobble) or
well-known lyrics. Either way, people are "synced" to the dance by either their movement or
mouthing of the words. And sometimes this makes for the best type of footage!

So, if you edit the images to a different part of the song, or a different song entirely, sometimes it doesn't jive
well.

Here is an example I just edited where I used a completely different song than what people are dancing/singing to. I think this case actually works well, but this is just a short highlight video, not a full reception. I would love to see samples of what you guys are doing! Do you have any links to provide?
Here is my recent sample:
Ian Atkins is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques