Guard SD cards with your life! - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old May 12th, 2015, 06:52 PM   #16
Major Player

Re: Guard SD cards with your life!

The rule I've always heard (and followed) is that you should never fill a spinning disk so it has less than 10% (preferably 20%) of free space left. SSDs are another story.
Old May 13th, 2015, 01:50 AM   #17
Trustee

Tim, I'm so glad you found that card! I had a similar experience, in my instance, the card fell out of my pocket when I kneeled down to shoot some low angles. The hotel staff found it and luckily I was able to get it back.

Since then, my rules for cards have been:
1. When cards are full, put them in a zippered pouch or fanny pack.
2. DO NOT put cards in a camera case or bag, always keep cards on your body!! The reason for this is because someone could someday steal your equipment, cards included. Equipment can be replaced. What you have on the cards are absolutely irreplaceable.
Warren Kawamoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2015, 02:36 AM   #18
Trustee

I also keep the used cards in zippered pouch, in my jacket pocket.

..."2. DO NOT put cards in a camera case or bag, always keep cards on your body"...

I never, keep cards in a camera bag, ...even the empty ones.
Anthony McErlean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2015, 06:00 AM   #19
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren Kawamoto View Post
Tim, I'm so glad you found that card! I had a similar experience, in my instance, the card fell out of my pocket when I kneeled down to shoot some low angles. The hotel staff found it and luckily I was able to get it back.

Since then, my rules for cards have been:
1. When cards are full, put them in a zippered pouch or fanny pack.
2. DO NOT put cards in a camera case or bag, always keep cards on your body!! The reason for this is because someone could someday steal your equipment, cards included. Equipment can be replaced. What you have on the cards are absolutely irreplaceable.
This is the very reason I took the cards out of the cameras. I always have a fear of my equipment being stolen from the vehicle, especially where we were in downtown Memphis.

I will have those same rules from now on!
Old May 13th, 2015, 06:15 AM   #20
Major Player

Thanks Warren. Yeah I went to the hotel staff that night and told them about it, thought then it might have fallen out in the elevator. I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw that card laying there on the wet pavement......it looked the size of a book when I spotted it!

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques