Azden Dual Channel Wireless UHFsystem... at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old October 17th, 2005, 05:12 AM   #1
Major Player

Azden Dual Channel Wireless UHFsystem...

This is the first 2 channel uhf mic system I've come across. Has anyone got an opinion on this system, or is it too new? At 700.00, it seems like just what I'm looking for for weddings...oh, here's the link:
http://www.videoguys.com/azden.htm#azd200
Vin

Last edited by Vincent Croce; October 17th, 2005 at 05:13 AM. Reason: forgot link...
Vincent Croce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2005, 08:31 PM   #2
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincent Croce
This is the first 2 channel uhf mic system I've come across. Has anyone got an opinion on this system, or is it too new? At 700.00, it seems like just what I'm looking for for weddings...oh, here's the link:
http://www.videoguys.com/azden.htm#azd200
Vin

I don't have any experience with it but have seen advertisements for it and it does indeed look like a great tool. If you end up purchasing it please let us know how it works out for you. Thanks.
Old October 17th, 2005, 08:47 PM   #3
Inner Circle

I've been using 2 Azden 500UDR systems for a number of years with ZERO problems at ranges up to very close to 200 feet. I've been very happy with the performance of the units.
A friend of mine just got his Azden 200 unit and called me the other day absolutly lovin' it. One receiver on the camera not 2-that in itself made it worthwhile to him. I had to try it so I did and it was nice. A lot less weight on the camera (of course) and it'll work with all of my Azden bodypaks, handheld and plugin xmitter. All 63 channels worth. I'll probably pick up the reciever only in the next few weeks or so-cna't never have too much stuff.

Don
Don Bloom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2005, 09:51 PM   #4
Inner Circle

i posted about this unit in the 'Now Hear This' forum, and there is an apparent problem with the units..

i too was hoping they would run perfectly, but for the price of one senny G2 kit, it jsut seemed too good to be true. and surely, it was...

im yet to use these units in the field, so wha i say here is heresay, but everyone i speak to (suppliers and users) still recommend the G2

ive been using the G1 and G2 and once calibrated properly, i canot fault these units.. apart from the crappy 9v battery life of teh G1

i would really REALLY love to have one reciever with multi channels, but im the type of person who wont buy somethign unless i can test it thoroughly.

Don, you mention youve tried this unit, is it as robust and clean as the G2's?
Peter Jefferson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2005, 11:23 PM   #5
Major Player

I'm giving it a try...

Peter-
Thanks for the heads up--I didn't catch your Oct. 9 posting about this system until after I had already ordered it. Knowing that Douglas Spotted Eagle gave it (and all Azden gear) the thumbs down doesn't fill me with confidence, but since it's already on it's way here, I'm at least going to give it a shot. Unfortunately, it's my first wireless setup so I won't have anything else to compare it to. I'll report on my experiences with it, for whatever that may be worth.
I'm new to the wedding video profession (been doing all the family weddings for the past few years with my handicam TRV130 and a Nikon CoolPix 3100--stop laughing), new to the gear I'm currently investing in (2 PD-170's and the aforementioned Azden 200ULH), but am very comfortable with the NLE, graphics and authoring side of the equation. It's been my passion for many years, although I've had to squeeze my editing hours in around a full time job, kids, etc. Last month I decided to quit my job (4 1/2 years from retirement) and jump right into what I love doing.
Although I've been a lurker on this forum off and on for a few years, I can see that the DVI Community will be a valuable place to learn and share.
Sorry for all that personal rambling and much appreciation to the forum for all the great info. You've all made my initial investments much wiser. Glen, your advice on the PD170 being a great low light cam steered me away from the much sexier XL2 series. I always get suckered in by good looks...
Old October 18th, 2005, 05:59 AM   #6
Inner Circle

While I know that some people don't like Azden gear and I'll agree about the shotgun mics-ibut n 4 plus years with Azden 500Us (2 sets) I have never had a single problem with them. I've not had dropouts, I've not crossed freqs with anyone, I've not had the 25 foot problem-(I don't know where that came from-I've been in situations where I've been almost 200 feet away and had very good audio)-perhaps the units are not quite as good as say a Lectrosonics 400 series (or a 200 or maybe even a 100) but it's a decent unit that IMO compares favorably with other units in its price range-its durable, easy to change channels, priced right, and for me at least, problem free.
As far as how the 200 compares to the Senn G2-I can't say as I haven't used the G2 but I do know one guy that has (or had it) and wasn't happy with the G2-I'm not sure why nor does it matter-I think its a matter of preference in his case-he was used to using Lectros and for whatever reason he switched. Sometimes you can't teach an old dog new tricks.
I don't like the stock Azden lav mic so both units have Sonys on them which help the sound a lot but as far as the units being junk---not in my opinion nor in the opinions of many others I know that use the 500s and the 200 looks like a decent unit- I like the weight factor especially for shooting news or run and gun corpprate shtuff with the full size camera. A little saved weight helps out a lot.
Like I said, just my opinion from using the units for a fair amount of time.

Don
Don Bloom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2005, 08:53 AM   #7
Major Player

Don-
Thanks for the positive side of the Azden gear. Like I said, I won't assume it's crap until I check it out. It's just that having DSEagle, an obvious heavy hitter in the video game, trash it to the extent he did was not very encouraging to me. I'll fill you in when I run it through it's paces.
Old October 18th, 2005, 01:25 PM   #8
Major Player

I looked at this same dual channel and was very tempted, but I bought a single ch Sennheiser. Let us know how it goes.
Craig Terott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2005, 03:36 PM   #9
Regular Crew

I use the 200UPR for weddings and Love It! No problems yet. I use it with 2 500UDR's. Very good quality. No problems yet.
Darin Holiday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2005, 07:02 PM   #10
Major Player

Craig & Darin--Thanks for the feedback. Tell me one thing, though. Why is Darin (joined 12/03) a 'new boot' like me, whilst Craig (joined 5/05) is a 'major player'...just curious.
Old October 19th, 2005, 07:07 PM   #11
Trustee

This is related to the number of posts you have made... you remain a new boot until 20 posts. The next step is regular crew if I am right.
Old October 19th, 2005, 09:55 PM   #12
Regular Crew

I can't wait to get the "New Boot" credentials behind me!
Darin Holiday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2006, 08:04 PM   #13
Major Player

Vincent,

So how did the Dual UHF Azden work out? You never posted a reply.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques