Backup drives on a network at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old June 15th, 2015, 05:42 AM   #1
Major Player

Backup drives on a network

I'm debating moving my office to my garage which isn't attached to my house - (Theres abot 1.5m space).

My wireless signal would be too weak in it, so I decided I'd have to run a long ethernet cable to the garage.

At this point I also began worrying about security and asked myself - will I unplug my backup drives and bring them in the main house every time I finish work?

Or can I have my backup drives in a different location connected via the router? Are these special drives that do this? Is it a hassle? Is ethernet too slow for transfer?
Clive McLaughlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2015, 09:26 AM   #2
Trustee

Re: Backup drives on a network

I have everything duplicated on a Synology DS414 NAS which runs at between 60MB/s and 110MB/s when transferring files. It's fast enough to edit from if I really need to.

So, my procedure is
• Ingest to the main computer.
• Duplicate to the NAS using software that syncs rather than just copies
• Duplicate to an additional extern drive (sync, not copy)

At regular intervals within the project I'll re-sync to the NAS

At the end of the project I'll resend to both NAS and external drive, then if appropriate I can delete the project from the main computer freeing up that space for the next project(s).

Since the NAS has 8TB space it's not often I need to delete projects from it that I need to use any time soon. When I do need to delete things I just make sure I have a second external drive with it on OR archive to LTO tapes (preferred).

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques