Do you include parking charges in your pricing at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old June 16th, 2015, 09:19 AM   #1
Inner Circle

Do you include parking charges in your pricing

So I've just found out the wedding venue I'm filming at in a couple of weeks has no parking at all - apparently this is York's premiere wedding venue yet has no parking for guests lol! I've explained that I keep a lot of spare equipment in my car that I may need access to in a hurry but it's a no go! I've been told there is on street parking nearby but In my experience that's 2 hours max usually

So I'm now looking at Parkopedia and see the only nearby parking is £15 for the day!!! - I am seriously pi**ed off at the price of city centre parking, and really should pass it on to the customer but she's already paid up our agreed price!

Thoughts?
Peter Rush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2015, 09:23 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: Do you include parking charges in your pricing

That's what I have to pay for underground parking as well in out biggest city centers, I have it in my contract though that these costs are charged to the couple.
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2015, 10:10 AM   #3
Inner Circle

Out of pocket expenses should be part of the deal, and invoiced afterwards, and validated by the contract. That said, from time to time, big trailers turn up at theatre we work at, and the venue never pay for parking - because the lack of parking is detailed in the contract. It doesn't mention money - it simply states. "Please note there is no parking at the venue for any vehicle larger than 3.5t - nearby public parking is available." It costs them £25! Some try to blag it and get a ticket - the venue don't pay for that either.
Paul R Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2015, 11:26 AM   #4
Inner Circle

Ring your customer and inquire about the arrangements she has made for parking (even though she has not).

When she tells you that she has not made arrangements, ask her how she'd like to reimburse you for parking charges, on the day of the wedding or when you deliver the videos. That should work. It's certainly fair.
Old June 16th, 2015, 11:31 AM   #5
Inner Circle

I've had this very occasionally, but each time, I have asked the venue if I can use staff parking for unloading my equipment. I then can usually persuade them to let me leave it there and leave the key with the manager.

It is very unusual to have absolutely no parking even for staff, but if that is the case, can't you simply get a friend or family member to drop you off with your equipment and pick you up afterwards?

Roger
Roger Gunkel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2015, 01:02 PM   #6
Major Player

I always included an ammount to cover such eventualities in my prices. I think its a bit much to ask the customer to stump up for any unexpected expenses such as parking etc
Old June 16th, 2015, 03:42 PM   #7
Trustee

I'm with Colin. I charge accordingly so that "incidentals" like parking are already covered. I don't want to look like I'm trying to bilk them out of pennies when I'm charging... not pennies. Same way I don't worry about it if I end up having to license 3 songs instead of 2 for their online video (or whatever).

This is a big deal on the DJ side of things, too, because I still have to buy songs from time to time. Or when gas prices were going up, a lot of the DJs complained that they should be able to go back and charge an extra fee to the client for the difference (even though my math showed them it only cost about an extra $5 per event).
Robert Benda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2015, 07:16 PM   #8
Inner Circle

I have never worried about the odd incidental cost. I just make sure when I did my costing I included a sum there for expenses ... Far better you include $100 worth of "extras" in your package price than send her a bill for a smallish amount just for parking ...over 30 or 40 weddings you could easily cover the one or two that have to have paid parking ..... I think a bride might get offended with an invoice of $20 after she has forked out $3000 for your services
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2015, 03:03 AM   #9
Trustee

Hi Peter, being from York I can tell you there's no 'premiere' wedding venue here.

Where are you at? The Hospitium maybe? There are quite a few venues like this but we've always managed to work around it. Gladly I do very few weddings now, infact the only one left is next month. Trying really hard not to take any more bookings!
Old June 18th, 2015, 09:42 AM   #10
Inner Circle

It is indeed The Hospitium Dave - The couple have booked me at short notice as they've been let down by someone else - normally I avoid city centre venues like this if possible but I'm happy to stand in for them - they've said there is on street parking right outside but in my experience this will be for no more than 2 hours - parking can be a real nightmare at times!
Old June 18th, 2015, 02:59 PM   #11
Trustee

Just around the corner is Marygate car park (access from Bootham). You pay on exit using a credit / debit card. It's too far to keep going back and forth - maybe a 5 min walk.

The Hospitium does have some very limited number of spaces within it's grounds (down by the gate) which we have used before but it's all down to how friendly you are with the security guy. Most vendors aren't allowed to park inside the grounds.

However, you should be able to drive in, unload your gear (assuming it's all at the Hospitium) then go park your car. The staff are generally very friendly.

Not sure if you've been there before or not (sounds like not), so if you have please forgive me for telling you stuff you already know.

Inside the downstairs room there is a small section (inside the main room door to the left) with wooden screens that we would normally store gear behind and keep going back to that as we need it. It's possible it's full of stacked chairs but we've always managed.

There's nowhere upstairs to store gear.

Downstairs is a little awkward due to the pillars, but we tend to shoot the Hospitium as a 3 camera shoot. Looking down the isle form the back (looking towards the registrar's table) there are two windows either side, but on the left side the register is blocked in by a short (ancient stone) wall (maybe 3 feet high). We generally place an unmanned camera on a tripod in that window (bride's side) looking at the B+G and slightly down the isle, then man a camera at the front on the groom's side along side the photographer. There's generally room for both, but know that the staff need to get to the wooden cabinet right next to you if they are responsible of the music in the ceremony.

We then typically also have a manned camera at the back of the isle to get them coming in.

The unmanned camera can see the bride coming down the isle from about 3/4 of the way back. When you're stood with the photographer you won't be able to see the bride much until she arrives, hence always having the back camera too.

One word of caution. There is a ceiling light right above where the bride usually stands which tends to cause a bit of a hotspot on her.

Another word of caution is that they generally do any readings off to the right of the registrar which is smack behind a pillar and not easily seen from a back camera, is generally just off to the side of the unmanned camera (you'e looking at the back of the heads of wide, or not at all if you're framing just the B+G) so you'll have to be ready to get them from the front. Theres nowhere to put a mic 'really close' so we end up trying to wedge a recorder at the bottom of the pillar or getting it from the grooms / registrars mic.

There ceremony takes place downstairs but the meal is upstairs (then first dance and night stuff downstairs again). Depending on where they have the top table you'll either be shooting in to windows or on to a dark red wall (think noisy image!). Inside lighting is not great but not that bad. They do have a PA system (back of the room on the right in the wooden cabinet) but the staff don't know much about it and you'll have to find the phono outs for your recorder.

They do tend to use a (VHF) wireless mic, so you either need to get your own pics sorted or plug in to the PA (and hope everyone uses it!).

Confetti is usually done on the front steps. We tend to have one camera on the ground with everyone else and another getting an overhead shot from the black steps that go up the side.

Let me know if you need more - and again, if you already know all this then sorry!

Last edited by Dave Partington; June 18th, 2015 at 03:34 PM.
Dave Partington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2015, 02:24 AM   #12
Inner Circle

Awesome Dave - many thanks, yes it's my first time there so all that info is super-helpful :)
Old June 19th, 2015, 03:47 PM   #13
Trustee

Happy to help Peter. It's really no skin off my nose and while some people seem to be very protective over their knowledge as if it's some proprietary information they need to protect, I really don't see it that way. If you want to know more feel free to ask!

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques