Backing up the final disc at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old October 17th, 2005, 02:40 PM   #1
Major Player

Backing up the final disc

Hi everyone,
I am looking at archiving a final copy of all of my weddings in case the bride and groom would like another copy later on. Is there a program out there that will allow me to burn the DVD with all of the menus, chapters, and options?

Thanks
Jason Bowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2005, 03:06 PM   #2
Major Player

ummm... if you want a playable copy and you've saved the assets and project file, use the same program.

I always burn the assets and project file to DVD-RW. I can restore any video at the project level, any time.
Craig Terott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2005, 03:09 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Bowers
Hi everyone,
I am looking at archiving a final copy of all of my weddings in case the bride and groom would like another copy later on. Is there a program out there that will allow me to burn the DVD with all of the menus, chapters, and options?

Thanks
Im confussed as to what your asking. Are you not simply wanting a copy of the dvd you aurthor for them? If that's the case, just make extra copies for yourself, or am I missing something??
Old October 17th, 2005, 03:32 PM   #4
Major Player

David,
I make a copy of the final DVD for myself and hold on to it. Say the bride wants another copy a year later. I will have erased all of the files off of my harddrive and only have the DVD I kept for myself. The way I would do it now is copy the timeline to tape and re-import it back into my NLE and then remake the dvd using Adobe Encore. Is there a program that will allow me to burn the copy that I have and give that to the couple?

I hope this makes more sense.
Old October 17th, 2005, 03:34 PM   #5
Major Player

Craig,
Some assets are 22gb in size so I cannot copy them to a disc. A 2hour timeline will be rather large AVI file.
Old October 17th, 2005, 03:45 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Quote:
David,
I make a copy of the final DVD for myself and hold on to it. Say the bride wants another copy a year later. I will have erased all of the files off of my harddrive and only have the DVD I kept for myself. The way I would do it now is copy the timeline to tape and re-import it back into my NLE and then remake the dvd using Adobe Encore. Is there a program that will allow me to burn the copy that I have and give that to the couple?

I hope this makes more sense.

hey Jason,
as long as you didn't add copy protection, any dvd burning program such a nero will make a direct copy for you.
If you did encrypt it, there are many programs that will still copy it for you including free ones such as DVD Shrink
http://www.dvdshrink.org/
Old October 17th, 2005, 03:53 PM   #7
Major Player

DVD Decrypter works nicely for this. It allows you to rip a DVD to your hard drive and then burn that image to a blank DVD.

You can find it here. http://www.afterdawn.com/software/vi..._decrypter.cfm
Old October 17th, 2005, 04:02 PM   #8
Regular Crew

or dvd for free ;)

http://www.dvd43.com/
Old October 17th, 2005, 04:06 PM   #9
Major Player

Hi David,
I recently borrowed a copy of Nero 6 from another local videographer for this purpose, however, when i chose copy in the menu selection it burned but the dvd is unplayable. I might of done something wrong. Any suggestions?
Old October 17th, 2005, 04:18 PM   #10
Regular Crew

Hey Jason,

did you add copy protection to the original disc?
Old October 17th, 2005, 04:19 PM   #11
Major Player

nope just a straight burn wiith Encore
Old October 17th, 2005, 04:26 PM   #12
Regular Crew

copy disc in nero should work without a problem.

try this program
http://www.alcohol-soft.com/

download the 30 day trail. I have had issues burning image files before with nero, but alcohol has never let me down ;)
Old October 17th, 2005, 04:30 PM   #13
Major Player

Thanks David,
From one fellow Canuck to another. Those Oilers sure look good this year, real fast..
Old October 17th, 2005, 04:41 PM   #14
Regular Crew

hope it works..

as far as oilers go...having Pronger and Peca sure doesn't hurt :)
I am going to the game Friday, Colorado is in town, should be good, first game In a Long time :)
Old October 18th, 2005, 07:28 AM   #15
Major Player

Quote:
Craig,
Some assets are 22gb in size so I cannot copy them to a disc. A 2hour timeline will be rather large AVI file.
This is one of the follies of letting your DVD authoring software do the compression. Assests I was refering to were the assets after being compressed by a stand alone program. The suggestions you got here as far as duplication programs - will work... but in the big picture, it sounds like you don't have a versitle work flow. Having the compressed assets on a DVD-RW is definately a secure way to go.

A couple years ago, I made a followup call to a customer a few weeks after videos had shipped to get feed back. She said she loved it, all except that I cut the cake-cutting! I could NOT believe I made such an unforgiveable mistake! I always keep the DV tapes around for a few months after delivery so I recaptured the cake cutting, then restored the project from DVD-RW and modified it with an endjump at the right chapter - viola, it was fixed quickly. Without the compressed assets, it would have been much more complicated to fix. There was one other wedding when a guests hairpiece fell off during dancing at the reception (ha ha)... something I did not notice while editing... it was another easy fix.

It's not a bad idea to use a sperate program for compression, not only for workflow reasons but many of them give you more control over the compression & quality.
Craig Terott is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques